What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Amazon is selling the deluxe version with the book today for $25.
Also, I noticed that when TCM ran WSS this past week it was the "fade to black" version.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
So sorry to hear about the bad experience of WSS at Bryant Park. I too have never had an experience like that at those screenings in the park. I guess, for some reason, all the assholes decided to attend on that particular night ;-)
As for the sticky adhesive residue left behind when security stickers, etc. are removed from DVDs, CDs, etc., I agree it's annoying, but fortunately there is an easy solution: Buy a small spray bottle of WD-40 at your local hardware store, spray a small amount of it on a tissue, and wipe the affected area. That will immediately remove the residue without harming the packaging.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
My strangest experience with West Side Story was watching it on a Spanish language station. I don't speak Spanish, but I figured it'd be interesting to hear the voices in that language. The movie was pan-and-scanned and the print horribly faded, but neither was a particular surprise; I figured it was a dub done about 40 years earlier.
The strange part, though, was that the songs were cut out. Completely. Later it occurred to me that it may have been too expensive at the time to dub the songs in Spanish, but still, it was very strange.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
1998/2003 DVD
494e1a1c_WESTSIDESTORYDVD00001.jpeg

2011 Blu-Ray
e2fcadcd_WSS1080p00001.jpeg

Split-Screen (I'm pretty sure these are scaled down from the original HD dimensions when I upload them here, but you get the idea.)
d0202143_WSSDVDvsBlu.jpeg

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
The problem with using WD-40 or GooGone to remove the sticky residue is that the packaging then smells like WD-40/GooGone. I usually take a razor and cut the sticky strip down the middle along the gap between the front and back covers. Then I peel the two sections off from the middle. The strips are more likely to come off intact and cleanly this way then if you try peeling them off from the outer edges.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
adklz said:
The problem with using WD-40 or GooGone to remove the sticky residue is that the packaging then smells like WD-40/GooGone. I usually take a razor and cut the sticky strip down the middle along the gap between the front and back covers. Then I peel the two sections off from the middle. The strips are more likely to come off intact and cleanly this way then if you try peeling them off from the outer edges.
Use un-du. No residue, no odor left behind.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
I usually use lighter fluid to remove price stickers and whatnot-the residue goes and the smell disappears rather quickly (learned it when I was used in the book business and had to remove many a price sticker from many tomes).

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Chuck, thanks for the screen shot comparisons. The difference in hue is striking, and I'm sure I'll be picking up the BD set now that the overture "correction" has been made.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ChrisOC said:
Chuck, thanks for the screen shot comparisons. The difference in hue is striking, and I'm sure I'll be picking up the BD set now that the overture "correction" has been made.
Go back to post 708 and read that first.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
TonyD said:
Go back to post 708 and read that first.
Yeah, there is still a weird faded during the end of the overture, and, yes, I have the reissued disc where it goes a dark green rather than completely fade to black, but it far from ruins the rest of the film.
I'm not going to leave WEST SIDE STORY out of my collection for how ever many years, waiting and hoping that it will get corrected in some future anniversary reissue.
What people should REALLY be more up in arms about is the state of the dupe sections, which looked better (though still ragged) in the 70mm print I saw last month than how they appear on the Blu-ray. Those sections have always looked bad, and maybe they don't look any worse than they ever did save for the resolution of Blu-ray highlighting how poor they are, but I'm sure A BIT of additional color correction or processing could have helped smooth their inclusion in the overall film. If they can greatly enhance the opticals and dupes in PILLOW TALK, I should hope the same could be done for WEST SIDE STORY.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by adklz /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/690#post_3925355

I never use any fluid anymore (since my first disaster, long ago).
I do like Jim does, and then use the parts of the strip itself to "pick" the residues up (quick short 'take-up' movements). You need to go on and on, if necessary, but you WILL finally get everything off. Do not be satisfied too easily, it needs a lot of patience, sometimes, but that will be rewarded.

Cees

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I saw this in 70mm the other night and paid attention to the Overture. There is no green and no fade to black. During the transition to the final color before the title reveal the color does get very intense, almost obscuring the Saul Bass graphic, but it never fully does and the Blu-ray and DVD certainly don't look like this. Maybe someday they'll get it right. My Blu-ray is now in my Amoeba pile.

There were many shots that didn't have opticals in them that looked like dupes throughout the movie.

The audio was DTS and I suspect it's the new six-track restoration. It sounded fantastic.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Michael1 said:
So sorry to hear about the bad experience of WSS at Bryant Park. I too have never had an experience like that at those screenings in the park. I guess, for some reason, all the assholes decided to attend on that particular night ;-)
As for the sticky adhesive residue left behind when security stickers, etc. are removed from DVDs, CDs, etc., I agree it's annoying, but fortunately there is an easy solution: Buy a small spray bottle of WD-40 at your local hardware store, spray a small amount of it on a tissue, and wipe the affected area. That will immediately remove the residue without harming the packaging.
Olive oil will achieve this same outcome but without the WD-40 odor.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM is showing West Side Story as I write this. The fade to black was there. I guess this will be the new normal for future showings on TV and elsewhere where digital instead of film prints are used. Changing history.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Garysb /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/720#post_3938276
TCM is showing West Side Story as I write this. The fade to black was there. I guess this will be the new normal for future showings on TV and elsewhere where digital instead of film prints are used. Changing history.

Well that is just about the most depressing news I've heard all week.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Neil S. Bulk said:
I saw this in 70mm the other night and paid attention to the Overture. There is no green and no fade to black. During the transition to the final color before the title reveal the color does get very intense, almost obscuring the Saul Bass graphic, but it never fully does and the Blu-ray and DVD certainly don't look like this. Maybe someday they'll get it right. My Blu-ray is now in my Amoeba pile.
There were many shots that didn't have opticals in them that looked like dupes throughout the movie.
The audio was DTS and I suspect it's the new six-track restoration. It sounded fantastic.
Thanks for the review, but what's an "Amoeba pile"?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Doug Otte /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/720#post_3938394
Thanks for the review, but what's an "Amoeba pile"?

I'm assuming that is a pile of discs to be taken to Amoeba to trade in for credit or other discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks