What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I fear with the canceled orders and people waiting to buy for a "corrected" copy that MGM/Fox will use it as an excuse to say that vault musical titles don't sell and they're not going to do any more.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864498
I fear with the canceled orders and people waiting to buy for a "corrected" copy that MGM/Fox will use it as an excuse to say that vault musical titles don't sell and they're not going to do any more.
You have legitimate thought here, but honestly I have replaced and received "corrected" discs on SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and PINOCCHIO among a few others and for the life of me, wonder why they cannot just get it right the first time. I am torn, I ordered it and now canceled it and now on the fence again with placing an order. I just don't know if I want to go through that trouble when it should be right the first time. And I agree with the other posters above, how about "corrected" discs on IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, SCROOGE and THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD. With those three and now WWS with problems there is no wonder people are tired of it and may be a reason they are not buying. So far the best musical done right on Blu-ray this year that has my vote is THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICA. And yes I did like FIDDLER ON THE ROOF and CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, they have my vote also.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
MattH. said:
Hopefully they have figures describing the number of preorders before/after this news broke. That would pretty clearly show them how the land lays!
I didn't preorder, but I was gonna buy this on Day One, and now I'm on the fence...

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Sticking with my pre-orders is the only logical thing for me to do - a bird in the hand etc (I'm a coward!).
Fox promises a replacement 'down the road', but when that will be is the question. I'm taking them at their word, so hopefully they don't read my and others' willingness to forge ahead to be a sign that we're happy with things as they are.
The exchange program implemented for Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator worked well, and the WSS BD, for all its flaws, sounds vastly superior to the DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by marsnkc /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864527
The exchange program implemented for Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator worked well, and the WSS BD, for all its flaws, sounds vastly superior to the DVD.
The point for me is that it should be flawless. Guys this is it, this is the last home format before all is streamed. I do not expect another revisit to the title in five or ten years as we had with DVD. I am not aware of an exchange program that Fox has gone through. They corrected the problem with the CLEOPATRA DVD, but did not offer a replacement for it, just fixed the next pressings. I could be wrong, so let me know.

I just choose to wait until I am sure if they fix the problem are not then decide to either purchase or not. Already in the Blu-ray.com posting, Fox said, "Hey this is what MGM gave us," which is exactly what they said about THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and there was no "fix."

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864498
They have sales figures of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof, Hair, and New York, New York that may tell a different story.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
ahollis said:
The point for me is that it should be flawless.  Guys this is it, this is the last home format before all is streamed.  I do not expect another revisit to the title in five or ten years as we had with DVD.  I am not aware of an exchange program that Fox has gone through.  They corrected the problem with the CLEOPATRA DVD, but did not offer a replacement for it, just fixed the next pressings.  I could be wrong, so let me know. 
I just choose to wait until I am sure if they fix the problem are not then decide to either purchase or not.  Already in the Blu-ray.com posting, Fox said, "Hey this is what MGM gave us," which is exactly what they said about THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and there was no "fix."

Allen -
You won't get any argument from me that it should be flawless, and I wouldn't even give a thought to purchasing it if its current condition was on the order of a Spartacus, Out of Africa, Patton or other such plasticized monstrosity.
Paradoxically, your argument for not getting it now - the last home format before all is streamed - is the principal reason why I want this thing in my grubby little hands, warts and all (though I hope these get cured). The decision whether to purchase it or not is not a factor for me. I want it for its apparent improvements over previous editions. It's not like I can choose between buying this or a perfect one from Columbia or Warner.
If it turns out to be less than a significant improvement over my 2003 DVD set, I'll just mark it defective and return it to Amazon. If it's an obvious improvement, I'll keep it, hope for the promised fix and also hope that MGM has nothing more in its library that I'll ever want on blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MatthewA /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864544
They have sales figures of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof, Hair, and New York, New York that may tell a different story.
I didn't say the excuse would be a legitimate one, only that the studio(s) might use that as the reason they weren't making any more efforts with older musicals.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ajabrams /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864540
Fox did indeed offer a replacement dvd for "Cleopatra" -- I know because I got one.
Thanks. I stand corrected, I must have missed the announcement at the time. Which goes to show that even that even a replacement program is not flawless.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by marsnkc /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864553
Allen -
You won't get any argument from me that it should be flawless, and I wouldn't even give a thought to purchasing it if its current condition was on the order of a Spartacus, Out of Africa, Patton or other such plasticized monstrosity.
Paradoxically, your argument for not getting it now - the last home format before all is streamed - is the principal reason why I want this thing in my grubby little hands, warts and all (though I hope these get cured). The decision whether to purchase it or not is not a factor for me. I want it for its apparent improvements over previous editions. It's not like I can choose between buying this or a perfect one from Columbia or Warner.
If it turns out to be less than a significant improvement over my 2003 DVD set, I'll just mark it defective and return it to Amazon. If it's an obvious improvement, I'll keep it, hope for the promised fix and also hope that MGM has nothing more in its library that I'll ever want on blu.

[COLOR= black]I certainly understand your thoughts. If it does turn out to be more superior to the DVD, which early reviews have certainly indicated, I will wait a while to see about a fix, and then more than likely get it in my "grubby little hands" too. MGM did such a great job on Fiddler and Chitty and we know what is possible, so for them to not take the care in this classic American film musical is very disappointing. I have always thought the opening overture really puts the viewer in the mood for something special and the fade to black and back, is just disconcerting to me as I seems is to a lot of people. [/COLOR]

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An interesting piece...

http://www.audionamix.com/press/viewer.php?name=Audionamix_FSMO_sept2011.pdf

Catlady

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Catlady
Boy, I'm glad I found this discussion. I just preordered the collector's set yesterday and now I'm seriously rethinking. It's so disheartening to think they'd screw up like this.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
Robert Harris said:
I received an interesting message from someone asking a very good question.
A dissolve that been inadvertently turned into a fade out / fade in...
Some dupes that show the ravages of time...
A bit of audio that might possibly be more accurate slightly further to the rear.
What does it all mean in the scheme of things.
Their final point was that we're not talking about the Mona Lisa.
My answer is that we're very much discussing the Mona Lisa, albeit a more modern version.  West Side Story was the synthesis of an astoundingly good Broadway musical that was honed, by the best in the business into one of the greatest films ever created.
West Side Story, especially when viewed in its native 70mm is a work of astounding quality.
Even a cursory glance at the majority of the footage in this Blu-ray will prove that out, as this is a Blu-ray that aside from its problems, shines.
Everyone in the production was pushed beyond their limits toward the creation of a piece of art that has stood the test of time.
If viewers don't have a tear in their eye at the finale, they probably aren't human.
Everything about the film was performed at the highest level, and the final prints, as struck from the rolls of original camera negative in September and October of 1961, were perfect in every regard.  They were checked after printing, and then again after striping and sounding.  Someone watched every reel of every print.
Theatres were set up and checked to make certain that everything would play according to plan.
There are certain films that are a part of our collective history.  Most people can probably rattle off the titles of a hundred or more, and some can repeat sections of dialogue.
The truly great films are our Sistine Chapel.
They were created by the giants of their era, and are the art of the 20th, and now the 21st centuries.
Both the films and their creators deserve to treated with the respect they would have received on set and at premieres.  This includes, even more importantly, those who are no longer with us. Unless untoward things have happened to the original elements, and images and audio can no longer be brought up to perfect quality, these films should be released perfect in every regard.
Bringing the Blu-ray of West Side Story up to perfection is not an unattainable act.  It would not take an obscene budget.
There are so many people that will see West Side Story on Blu-ray for the first time, and others for which it will be the only way it will be seen, that one owes it to the filmmakers to see that their work is properly preserved, restored if necessary, and released in the absolute highest quality, transparent to the original.
Anything less is unthinkable.
RAH
Beautifully put, Mr. Harris. Thank you!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MatthewA said:
They have sales figures of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof, Hair, and New York, New York that may tell a different story.
New York, New York would not, I'm afraid, tell a different story. :)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864651
An interesting piece...

http://www.audionamix.com/press/viewer.php?name=Audionamix_FSMO_sept2011.pdf
I never grow accustomed to how STUNNED I am upon reading about entire musical scores being lost. The individual parts, okay, I could understand studios at one time believing there could never be another use for them...but not to make it a rule to keep a copy of at least the conductor's full score? (Doing so would also make it possible to recreate those individual parts if needed.) Why not toss out all the various scripts, too? Thank God they found the "short score" (second best thing) in the Robert Wise collection. If only they'd make that available online for people passionate about the music to browse and study. The Bernstein folks published the original stage full score, so what a joy it would be to see this orchestration as well.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
United Artists was notorious for not keeping materail around

Original negative of "Tom Jones"
All the "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" stuff

Amoung some of the musical stuff:

"How to Succed in Business" had a few other musical moments deleted (Coffee Break, A Secretary Is Not a Toy section) so it could premiere at Radio City usic Hall at 2 hours.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" had a whole section where some children sneak into the Baron's kitchen to steal food (photos of the scene appear in the Random House Book) - another piece of film that's gone

Zero Motel filmed the song "Free" from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" it was never right , Mostel had a difficult time with the lip sync and it was cut - now gone

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864708
United Artists was notorious for not keeping materail around

Original negative of "Tom Jones"
All the "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" stuff

Amoung some of the musical stuff:

"How to Succed in Business" had a few other musical moments deleted (Coffee Break, A Secretary Is Not a Toy section) so it could premiere at Radio City usic Hall at 2 hours.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" had a whole section where some children sneak into the Baron's kitchen to steal food (photos of the scene appear in the Random House Book) - another piece of film that's gone

Zero Motel filmed the song "Free" from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" it was never right , Mostel had a difficult time with the lip sync and it was cut - now gone
While several reels of Tom Jones original neg had gone missing, they have no rejoined their brethren.

RAH

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/30#post_3864660
New York, New York would not, I'm afraid, tell a different story.
You may be correct about that!

Speaking of New York, have you seen the Harry Belafonte documentary currently airing on HBO? There is a segment about the furor which ensured when Petula Clark touched Harry's arm while they were singing a duet. I believe that you have worked with Pet Clark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks