What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Eric I believe you are a very loving, caring and intelligent person. Hope you have a great recovery.
:)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
eric scott richard said:
Ok, I will delete my posts so that I don't offend anyone by accident. And I will await the response of Mr. Harris before I post again in this thread. I can understand the passion over a mistake. I was livid when The Wizard of Oz was altered in a couple of ways, maybe more so than most people in the world! So I do understand. I just think that we as movie buffs can get more accomplished if we directed our knowledge and passion towards those that can make a difference.
I don't know what you posted, but as others have pointed out my post was not in any way directed to you. It was to the poster above you, Mark-P, who stated that this fix was correct. :)
And even to that poster, I wasn't trying to be offensive - but there has been so much that's so wrong written about this, despite endless posts from Mr. Harris and me, that I just feel I need to keep correcting because you can't let people think this is the way it was. Mr. Bass was a genius - this isn't brain surgery to get this right. All they had to do was pull a dye transfer print and look at it. I know that's a radical idea but... :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I said no such thing. I merely asked how do we know it's not correct. :eek:
I agree with Eric. The jury is still out until we have conclusive evidence which should be forthcoming.
haineshisway said:
It was to the poster above you, Mark-P, who stated that this fix was correct. :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/510#post_3892438
Ok, I will delete my posts so that I don't offend anyone by accident. And I will await the response of Mr. Harris before I post again in this thread. I can understand the passion over a mistake. I was livid when The Wizard of Oz was altered in a couple of ways, maybe more so than most people in the world! So I do understand. I just think that we as movie buffs can get more accomplished if we directed our knowledge and passion towards those that can make a difference.
Yeah, I miss the strings attached to the Cowardly Lion's tail.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just to keep everyone's spirits down and a general sense of hopelessness alive...

Let us not forget that the accuracy of the color shades themselves -- notably the "Maria" one on the Blu-ray -- have been questioned since they, too, appeared differently on the various home video releases.

Sincere thanks, yet again, to Messrs. Harris and Kimmel for their expertise and continued support as regards this singular masterpiece.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Mark B /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/540#post_3892473
The jump cut at 12:48 has been digitally altered with a quick dissolve. Discuss.

Okay, I'm not sure what this refers to. At 12:48 there's a barely perceptible edit in the film, between the Shark being chased out of the frame and the three Jets entering -- (which I will now forever be aware of, if I wasn't before!) -- but I don't see a dissolve.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/540#post_3892499

Okay, I'm not sure what this refers to. At 12:48 there's a barely perceptible edit in the film, between the Shark being chased out of the frame and the three Jets entering -- (which I will now forever be aware of, if I wasn't before!) -- but I don't see a dissolve.
Don't worry, that cut has always been there.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Robert Harris said:
I haven't examined the OCN in years,and don't recall specifics, but will be receiving information from an original print shortly, and we'll end this.
It was what it was, and that is what it should be.
I shall continue to sit on my money and await your findings! :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Neil S. Bulk said:
Don't worry, that cut has always been there.
Chas in CT said:
Okay, I'm not sure what this refers to.  At 12:48 there's a barely perceptible edit in the film, between the Shark being chased out of the frame and the three Jets entering -- (which I will now forever be aware of, if I wasn't before!) -- but I don't see a dissolve.

No, he's right... there was a fairly obvious edit that's always been there that has either been changed to a quick dissolve or "morphed." I noticed it the first time I watched the Blu-Ray, too, that it had been "fixed." There is drifting smoke in the background at the end of the alley that used to make the jump obvious, which has been fixed in some way now, likely by a very quick dissolve. Exam a previous DVD edition, Chas -- the barely perceptible edit is much more obvious.
It doesn't bother me that much, though I don't actually approve. Warner did the same thing with "The Exorcist," though, starting with the 25th anniversary edition... fixed the bad cut when Father Karris momentarily turns into the demon and back by "morphing" it. The only DVD version of "The Exorcist" that has the exact theatrical shot at that point is on the original, non-letterboxed DVD.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks, I'll compare it with the DVD. The smoke in the background still helps to make it obvious, and it's very subtle now on the BD, but I still didn't see what I'd call a "dissolve". Going frame by frame, I was seeing a jump.

Wow, I guess I haven't watched The Exorcist all the way through lately. I well remember that crazy cut. I'll check the BD later to see what it looks like now.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark-P said:
I said no such thing. I merely asked how do we know it's not correct. :eek:
I agree with Eric. The jury is still out until we have conclusive evidence which should be forthcoming.
My point was and is the jury is not out, not to those of us who know this film intimately. My posting history vis a vis this film is all here to read. I was the first person to report the error, I was the person who let Mr. Harris know about it, and it just needs to be fixed correctly. There is no conjecture on my part whatsoever.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/540#post_3892717
My point was and is the jury is not out, not to those of us who know this film intimately. My posting history vis a vis this film is all here to read. I was the first person to report the error, I was the person who let Mr. Harris know about it, and it just needs to be fixed correctly. There is no conjecture on my part whatsoever.
I've not yet received my "corrected" copy, but have discussed with someone who has.

Now hearing from Mr. Kimmel, the nail is in the proverbial coffin.

No question.

It is not fixed. Simply maneuvered into something else, that never existed.

There is no heavy lifting here. The film was made half a century ago, and survives in a condition from which perfect Blu-rays can be made.

Possibly the answer is to do a total recall.

Start from square one, with a proper scan, and move on from there.

Fix everything that needs to be attended to (audio, dupes, etc.) at high resolution toward preservation, and then create an HD file for Blu-ray.

It really is quite easy once you think about it, and follow the simple directions.

RAH

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
After seeing Xylon's side-by-side comparison of the "fixed" and "original" BD overture, I decided not to bother exchanging the disc. It's pitiful, and shameful that they would actually try to pawn it off on customers as a correction. I agree with Robert; it would not be that hard to fix all the problems and put out a true replacement.
Doug

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
That's all I needed to hear. I definitely will not pay retail for this. I'll only pick it up if I happen to stumble across it at a clearance price-point.
Robert Harris said:
...Now hearing from Mr. Kimmel, the nail is in the proverbial coffin.
No question.
It is not fixed.  Simply maneuvered into something else, that never existed...
RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks