What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Wedding Present -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The third inclusion in Kino's new pack of Cary Grant films, and per Mr. Cooper, a likely candidate for the full-on arrival of the Grant persona.

Short of checking out those that were released between the Ladies Should Listen, Big Brown Eyes (earlier in 1936) and Wedding Present, I tend to agree. The Grant "touch" was far less evident in Big Brown Eyes, but seems to have become more shaped between Ladies Should Listen and Wedding Present.

All of this could also obviously have something to do with screenplay and direction.

As a Blu-ray, Wedding Present, which co-stars Joan Bennett - who began her film career as a child actor in 1916 - is almost the exact opposite of Ladies Should Listen, as it has quite lovely imagery, from a well-made fine grain, and audio, which sounds as though derived from a problematic variable density source. Muffled, boomy, and missing the entire high end.

Once again, based upon problematic source elements, a pass / fair rating would be inappropriate.

As to Kino's presentation of their multi-film actor series...

More, please.

Image – 3.7.5

Audio – 2.5

Pass / Fail - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I had to turn up the sound a good bit for this but my ears adjusted just fine to the dialogue on this film after the first few minutes. I believe this could be a good movie to watch as a double feature to His Girl Friday as they are both about a male and female reporter's relationship and both of the screwball type comedies. I cant think of any other films with this relationship off the top of my head and its what makes both movies shine.

To me the supporting cast was where wedding present was raised closer to the legendary status of His girl friday. William Demarest was excellent as he was in the miracle of Morgans creek, My three sons and about 100 other movies. I have never seen him in a film i didnt like him in. I really like Joan Bennett's performance in this film. I thought she played it low key and just about perfect. I have read reviews about her wooden performance but i dont see it. It reminds me of another actor who gets cricized for being too wooden but dont see that either. Less is more sometimes and she was a great compliment to Cary Grant in this film.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I think Cary Grant's persona does depend on the script and more so on the fact that after he left paramount he was offered alot more parts in more screwball type comedies. Wedding present may be more similar type film to his post paramount films than his other earlier paramount films. His persona have been fully developed from being placed into screwball type comedies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks