What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Funded by whom?

RAH,

You're right about who's is going to pay for it. Do you know if the deal with Warner expired for those Goldwyn titles?

honestly, i don't know where the funding for any of the efforts would come from. That is the reason for the original post, and it could be the best reason i can explain that the limited number of those have been released. And as Cradwaddy ask when does that deal expire? So many titles and different film library's to choose from, that i don't envy those that work on these releases. that is why i do look forward to the reviews, and accept the limitations that sometimes happen but also live with the realization that some of these are possibly never going to be worked on.

Last edited:

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Other than the three silents listed, I believe the only other one that survives is THE RESCUE, minus a reel. The others were junked thanks to Mrs Goldwyn (Frances Howard).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
WAC 4/$44 + FS now live. Sale appears to run through 1/8/2019 at 11:59 pm PST
Once you get past 4 each additional is $11 so no need to do them in groups of 4.
Sales Tax is now applied to the majority of states.

It looks like it includes most BDs under $21.99 through the end of August plus Papillon BD, but no TV BD.
I haven't searched the whole list, but 2 disc titles like Superman, Supergirl, and Seven Brides still appear excluded. Village of the Damned is the only 1 disc release I can find that isn't included

138 BD
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44/made-to-order-blu-ray+
or copy/paste wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44/made-to-order-blu-ray+

2400 DVD
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44/made-to-order-dvd
wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44/made-to-order-dvd

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what the issue is though it's working for me (probably a cached page). I'll add some copy/paste links or you can just go to wbshop.com and click the banner and filter manually

Forums that add referral links give WBShop fits though it looks like they've completely redone their site in the last week or so.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The sale is to commemorate Warner Archive's 10th anniversary. It's a little too soon since the last sale as the number of new titles included this time around is just a scant few. Nevertheless I'm able to find 5 titles out of the new batch.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"It looks like it includes most BDs under $21.99 through the end of August plus Papillon BD, but no TV BD.
I haven't searched the whole list, but 2 disc titles like Superman, Supergirl, and Seven Brides still appear excluded. Village of the Damned is the only 1 disc release I can find that isn't included."

These excluded titles, as well as all the recently released titles, like "The Sea Hawk" and "Dark of the Sun" were available at Barnes & Noble's semi annual 40% off all blu rays sale which has, in the past, happened in June and December each year.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"It looks like it includes most BDs under $21.99 through the end of August plus Papillon BD, but no TV BD.
I haven't searched the whole list, but 2 disc titles like Superman, Supergirl, and Seven Brides still appear excluded. Village of the Damned is the only 1 disc release I can find that isn't included."

These excluded titles, as well as all the recently released titles, like "The Sea Hawk" and "Dark of the Sun" were available at Barnes & Noble's semi annual 40% off all blu rays sale which has, in the past, happened in June and December each year.

Yes -- that's where I get most of my WAC most years plus all the other Sept to Dec releases I wanted (except Longmire S6 and The Thing which haven't made it to most retailers yet), but some folks don't like the BN ShiptoHome format that has to be used to get the WAC titles on sale or just don't like BN period regardless of the potential savings. The 3-4 month block, the delayed sale, and the excluded items have typically pushed me to get most of mine places other than WBShop (Deep Discount and BN mostly).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've just thought of a couple of contenders that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet:
Five Came Back (1939) A small plane crash lands in the jungle, they fix the plane, but it will now only take five, & the head hunters are closing in, some people will have to stay & meet a gristly fate. It was remade in 1956 as Back from Eternity with Robert Ryan, Anita Ekberg & Rod Steiger. Both are available on Warner Archive DVDs, I've seen both of them, but not for decades. They'd make a great double bill, if only Warner did double bills.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I've just thought of a couple of contenders that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet:
Five Came Back (1939) A small plane crash lands in the jungle, they fix the plane, but it will now only take five, & the head hunters are closing in, some people will have to stay & meet a gristly fate. It was remade in 1956 as Back from Eternity with Robert Ryan, Anita Ekberg & Rod Steiger. Both are available on Warner Archive DVDs, I've seen both of them, but not for decades. They'd make a great double bill, if only Warner did double bills.
Funny, I was just thinking about FIVE CAME BACK, as I finally got the Arrow THE BIG CLOCK Blu-ray during the B&N July sale. A much better film than I remember. I mean, it was always wonderfully entertaining and very well made, but now every frame and set-up seems imbued with a very tongue-in-cheek yet incisive consciousness. An extremely personal film that works on a number of levels simultaneously. I've watched the film three times now in the past two weeks. I also really liked the way the camera movements reflected Charles Laughton's walk and the way it changed--or perhaps it was the reverse. Anyway, I thought about what other John Farrow film would I love to have on Blu, and that would be FIVE CAME BACK. The remake isn't bad at all, but the original is something else entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks