What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
My predictions for Warner Archives Blu-rays in 2017, based on their release pattern for the past couple of years. I have listed 48 titles, based on the growing number of Blu's coming from the Archives, which may now be as many as an average of 4 films each month, for a total of 48 (I think about 25% of these will actually happen. Anyone want to predict otherwise?) Yes, I realize this is pure speculation and will piss off those on the forum who hate this kind of list but, hey, it's fun.

Warner Bros. titles

CAPTAIN BLOOD
CHEYENNE AUTUMN
CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
DAMN YANKEES
HARPER
HORROR OF DRACULA
INNOCENT BLOOD
KING'S ROW
THE LATE SHOW
LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA
LOCAL HERO
MISTER ROBERTS
NIGHT SHIFT
PAJAMA GAME
PETULIA
PRINCE OF THE CITY
THE ROARING TWENTIES
THE SEA HAWK
SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS
THE SUNDOWNERS
VALLEY OF GWANGI
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH

MGM titles

36 HOURS
ADAMS RIB
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
DARK OF THE SUN
FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS...
GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (1939)
THE HARVEY GIRLS
GREAT ZIEGFELD
HIGH SOCIETY
IVANHOE
KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950)
LES GIRLS
MOGAMBO
MY FAVORITE YEAR (unlikely, but a hopeful)
THE NAKED SPUR
NEVER SO FEW
A PATCH OF BLUE
QUEEN CHRISTINA
SCARAMOUCHE
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO
SHOW BOAT (2 VERSIONS)VILLAGE OF THE DAMNEDTHE WILD ROVERS
WOMAN OF THE YEAR
THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY

Wonderful list Dick. If you score 25% accuracy I will be a very happy collector. In addition to your list I have hopes for "The Music Man" and "Guns for San Sebastián". My ongoing hope is for "Ryan's Daughter". Let's hope for a good year!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just watched Gaslight on Amazon streaming. Very good movie! Looks like it needs some more restoration work, but I hope this MGM classic makes it to blu-ray at some point. This is the source, of course, for the term "gaslighting," defined by wikipedia as: "the systematic psychological manipulation by the main character on a victim....In the story, a husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment and insisting that she is mistaken, remembering things incorrectly, or delusional when she points out these changes. The original title stems from the dimming of the gas lights in the house that happened when the husband was using the gas lights in the attic while searching for hidden treasure. The wife accurately notices the dimming lights and discusses the phenomenon, but the husband insists she just imagined a change in the level of illumination."

Poster-Gaslight-1944_11.jpg

Check out the 1940 version with Anton Walbrook. It's British and I think only available from UK on Blu, but it's a much tighter and scarier film than the Cukor re-make.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Check out the 1940 version with Anton Walbrook. It's British and I think only available from UK on Blu, but it's a much tighter and scarier film than the Cukor re-make.
Diana Wynyard is so good in it as well. I saw the 35mm print at MoMA when it was "rediscovered" and it was stunning. It quickly became my favorite version. It also hews more closely to the play, "Angel Street," than does 1944's Gaslight.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Diana Wynyard is so good in it as well. I saw the 35mm print at MoMA when it was "rediscovered" and it was stunning. It quickly became my favorite version. It also hews more closely to the play, "Angel Street," than does 1944's Gaslight.
I don't remember MOMA having a 35mm print of ANGEL STREET. I saw it in 16 mm in Bill Everson's British Cinema class at NYU, when they were in the Bleeker Street Cinema in the early 70'S.. A lot of my favorite British films I first saw in that class. Also THE SPY IN BLACK & NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't remember MOMA having a 35mm print of ANGEL STREET. I saw it in 16 mm in Bill Everson's British Cinema class at NYU, when they were in the Bleeker Street Cinema in the early 70'S.. A lot of my favorite British films I first saw in that class. Also THE SPY IN BLACK & NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH.
Mark, not trying to derail this thread, but my wife and I did see it at MoMA, never at the Bleecker St. Cinema. I attended many of Everson's film classes at NYU, screenings at the New School, at the Huff Memorial Society and at his apartment, but never at the Bleecker. I also borrowed many of his 16mm prints to screen at my apartment. You and I must have crossed paths many times. I'll PM you sometime with details.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Warner Archive Streaming is having a holiday promotion of 30 days free and then $6 a month:

http://bit.ly/2gRcxTo

I've just signed up for the first time since they have some old movies that don't seem to be available anywhere else. And since I usually rent at about 2-3 classic titles from amzn a month at c. $4 each, this seems like a reasonable deal for fans of classic movies.

Last edited:

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I would think that AUNTIE MAME and ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT would be titles that WB would release sooner than later on Blu-ray. I would also like to see GOODBYE MR. CHIPS, preferably the original but would also like to own the musical remake as well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was saying elsewhere this morning that Criterion monthly new releases schedule leaves me almost catatonic with boredom because almost everything there has already been issued in good or better BD editions from the UK or Europe. Even Night and the City which is due for August has had an excellent German (region free) BD release. Although Crit may or not be doing a 1080p of the alternate UK version/cut depending on the state of the BFI 35mm print of that rarity. No-one has yet confirmed this.

The U.K. disc of Night And The City does include the U.K. version plus two indispensable extras: an on-stage interview with Richard Widmark who was really on good form; and an - audio only - interview with Jules Dassin who was also a very good interviewee. Dassin provides new information about one of my heroes, cinematographer William Daniels, for which I will always be grateful.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
My predictions for Warner Archives Blu-rays in 2017, based on their release pattern for the past couple of years. I have listed 48 titles, based on the growing number of Blu's coming from the Archives, which may now be as many as an average of 4 films each month, for a total of 48 (I think about 25% of these will actually happen. Anyone want to predict otherwise?) Yes, I realize this is pure speculation and will piss off those on the forum who hate this kind of list but, hey, it's fun.

Warner Bros. titles

CAPTAIN BLOOD
CHEYENNE AUTUMN
CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
DAMN YANKEES
HARPER
HORROR OF DRACULA
INNOCENT BLOOD
KING'S ROW
THE LATE SHOW
LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA
LOCAL HERO
MISTER ROBERTS
NIGHT SHIFT
PAJAMA GAME
PETULIA
PRINCE OF THE CITY
THE ROARING TWENTIES
THE SEA HAWK
SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS
THE SUNDOWNERS
VALLEY OF GWANGI
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH

MGM titles

36 HOURS
ADAMS RIB
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
DARK OF THE SUN
GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (1939)
THE HARVEY GIRLS
GREAT ZIEGFELD
HIGH SOCIETY
IVANHOE
KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950)
LES GIRLS
MOGAMBO
MY FAVORITE YEAR (unlikely, but a hopeful)
THE NAKED SPUR
NEVER SO FEW
A PATCH OF BLUE
QUEEN CHRISTINA
RYAN'S DAUGHTER
SCARAMOUCHE
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO
SHOW BOAT (2 VERSIONS)
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960) & CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
THE WILD ROVERS
WOMAN OF THE YEAR
THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY

great list, and one that any cinephile would be proud to see released, but I think the hammer and horror titles may get a wide release, by the way everyone of those is on one of my whish list

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The U.K. disc of Night And The City does include the U.K. version plus two indispensable extras: an on-stage interview with Richard Widmark who was really on good form; and an - audio only - interview with Jules Dassin who was also a very good interviewee. Dassin provides new information about one of my heroes, cinematographer William Daniels, for which I will always be grateful.

All of those extras are on the Criterion bluray.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
At this point, I have a few questions for either Mr. Harris or anybody else that might have any insider information on the subject: are WAC working on releasing ANY films from the 1930s? As far as I can tell, 42nd Street currently remains their only blu release from the 30s. Are all their films from that decade in really bad shape, as much as everybody around here seems to think they are aiming for the low-hanging fruit first? Also asking the same with regards to any pre-1950 films musicals, since they haven't released any of them either since Thank Your Lucky Stars two years ago (especially with no WAC releases of MGM musicals made before the 50s).

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
At this point, I have a few questions for either Mr. Harris or anybody else that might have any insider information on the subject: are WAC working on releasing ANY films from the 1930s? As far as I can tell, 42nd Street currently remains their only blu release from the 30s. Are all their films from that decade in really bad shape, as much as everybody around here seems to think they are aiming for the low-hanging fruit first? Also asking the same with regards to any pre-1950 films musicals, since they haven't released any of them either since Thank Your Lucky Stars two years ago (especially with no WAC releases of MGM musicals made before the 50s).

Little Caesar and The Public Enemy are both on bluray.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
On Warner Archive streaming I recently watched for the first time the crackling film noir The Damned Don't Cry, starring Joan Crawford, from 1950. Very good movie imho, but the picture quality is so-so. Could use some TLC and a blu-ray release....

the-damned-dont-cry-3.jpg

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
A few years back I watched on TCM probably one of the most emotional experiences I ever had with a screening of a silent film. It comes on only once every two or three years. It's called LOVE, the 1927 adaptation of Tolstoy's "Anna Karenna", with Greta Garbo. Aside from the fact this had been shot with two endings (the happy one was shown in film context), this had a live score composed by Arnold Bronsoff recorded during a special 1994 screening at Royce Hall in L.A., complete with audience responses. Watching this felt like you were part of that live audience, experiencing a rare silent classic for the first time. I recorded this to DVD-R back in 2005, and yes, it was released previously by the Warner Archive. I have never seen their DVD so I don't know if it has the live score or the one by William Axt.

I have read that this masterpiece has been restored and is getting revival screenings in Europe with an entirely new score. Any chance we will see it here in the states on blu ray?

If anything else, you should add this to your silent film collection. To me, it stands in my Top 5 list of the greatest silent films ever, alongside "Intolerence", "Birth of a Nation", the 1925 "Ben Hur", and "Wings".

P.S. I also read TCM is showing LOVE again this summer (May, to be precise). It will probably be 2020 before we see it on TV again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks