What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
FoxyMulder said:
I agree, also Doctor Zhivago, some of these Warner Bros titles need new scans and higher bitrate releases to keep fine detail intact.

I have been in debates regarding bitrate and fine detail but at too low a bitrate, especially with VC-1, the fine detail is smoothed over, on certain sizes of display it might not be so noticeable but, when you get to projection size it can be seen and it matters.
What on earth is wrong with Doctor Zhivago? It's one of their best remasters to date. Scanned at 6K and restored at 4K. Any problems I noticed were inherent to the film like the dupes.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Patrick McCart said:
What on earth is wrong with Doctor Zhivago? It's one of their best remasters to date. Scanned at 6K and restored at 4K. Any problems I noticed were inherent to the film like the dupes.
I'm glad you brought me to task on that post as i think i made a mistake and it's a different movie i am thinking of, maybe Mutiny On The Bounty, anyway's its a sixties film, i forget which, i apologize and recommend Doctor Zhivago on blu.

Memories, i swear as i get older i mix things up more and become more forgetful.

Okay 1.2.3.........hit it Barbra.
Mem'ries,
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? Could we?
Mem'ries, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Patrick McCart said:
That's what I thought, or rather didn't think, because I just enjoyed the movie without even thinking about quality issues. I sure like when that happens.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
davidmatychuk said:
That's what I thought, or rather didn't think, because I just enjoyed the movie without even thinking about quality issues. I sure like when that happens.
I like when that happens too, shame it rarely happens when i watch a Universal back catalog title.*

Guys don't make me feel bad for getting it wrong, that's like once in 4338 posts that i have had to correct myself, twice if you include the other post and maybe six times if you include the rest, oh okay maybe a dozen times tops, fine you win i'll stretch it to 18. :D

*Disclaimer, i have nothing against Universal, they have released some great looking catalog titles, indeed i am thankful to them that i only need one pair of hands to count all the great catalog titles they have put out on blu ray.

P.S. Hurry up and fix Spartacus.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
FoxyMulder said:
I like when that happens too, shame it rarely happens when i watch a Universal back catalog title.*Guys don't make me feel bad for getting it wrong, that's like once in 4338 posts that i have had to correct myself, twice if you include the other post and maybe six times if you include the rest, oh okay maybe a dozen times tops, fine you win i'll stretch it to 18. :D*Disclaimer, i have nothing against Universal, they have released some great looking catalog titles, indeed i am thankful to them that i only need one pair of hands to count all the great catalog titles they have put out on blu ray.P.S. Hurry up and fix Spartacus.
All is forgiven. I'm grateful for two things:1- HTF lets me edit posts when I screw up a post 2- When I actually realize I've screwed up a post and can edit it before I get called out by other members.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Since this thread was started by RAH on Warner's plans for BD catalog releases in 2015........ What are your predictions for the total number of WHV/WAC catalog releases (I'll define that as pre-1970 releases for our purposes here) in 2015?I'll start.... 30

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
atfree said:
ince this thread was started by RAH on Warner's plans for BD catalog releases in 2015........ What are your predictions for the total number of WHV/WAC catalog releases (I'll define that as pre-1970 releases for our purposes here) in 2015?I'll start.... 30
Pre-1970, 2 a month, let's say 24.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Some sixties releases for next year? A little list, only four titles & nothing obscure:Robin & The 7 HoodsRide The High CountryHarperBlow-UpThis thread will be worth checking a year from now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
atfree said:
Ride the High Country would be spectacular on BD.
Yeah as I posted a while back, it was on the telly in HD looking very nice, only they zoomed in to 16:9 after the titles (that's TV for you), so the HD work has been done. I could be very wrong, & it's just a guess, but it would make sense for Warner to release this as part of a box set with other Peckinpah westerns (& a re-mastered Wild Bunch). Oh well, time will tell.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
Yeah as I posted a while back, it was on the telly in HD looking very nice, only they zoomed in to 16:9 after the titles (that's TV for you), so the HD work has been done. I could be very wrong, & it's just a guess, but it would make sense for Warner to release this as part of a box set with other Peckinpah westerns (& a re-mastered Wild Bunch). Oh well, time will tell.
Channel 4, they usually show OAR, that suggests to me it was an old master they used, thus it could be better.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Just throwing two more films into the pot. As far as I'm aware neither has been released on DVD by Warner. However, both are showing as available for UV Download in HD, and lists Warner as the studio.

The Seventh Victim (a Val Lewton box would be smashing, obviously)
From Beyond the Grave (nice little Amicus Portmanteau horror)

Steve W

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm happy with the MOD of Great Chefs. It's always good to have Blus but when a decent rendition exists I'm ok with that.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd also love a Val Lewton Blu set, but methinks the RKO elements are probably in really rough shape, thus the absence of THE HUNCHBACK F NOTRE DAME (1939) and GUNGA DIN, among many others.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Dick said:
I'd also love a Val Lewton Blu set, but methinks the RKO elements are probably in really rough shape, this the absence of THE HUNCHBACK F NOTRE DAME (1939) and GUNGA DIN, among many others.
If only RKO had taken more care of their masters. I can still remember the first time I saw The Hunchback Of Notre Dame on the telly in the late 50's, it made a huge impression, as did the same directors magical, All The Money Can Buy. And there's the 1952 Hawks western The Big Sky, & The Thing From Another World.

...& not forgetting, Farewell My Lovely 1944. For my money the best Chandler movie, with Dick Powell as the best ever Philip Marlow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks