What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
davidmatychuk said:
There definitely should be more Errol Flynn movies on Blu-Ray, other than just "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" and "The Rocketeer".
The Rocketeer? I'm sure that must be a joke, but it's going over my head!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The Rocketeer (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocketeer_(film)
[*]The Rocketeer is a 1991 American period superhero film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and based ..... Dalton has fun as a villain patterned after Errol Flynn.
[/list]

He plays "Neville Sinclair", a Hollywood star known for his swordfighting action pictures, who is secretly a Nazi spy.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
davidmatychuk said:
[*]The Rocketeer is a 1991 American period superhero film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and based ..... Dalton has fun as a villain patterned after Errol Flynn.
[/list]

He plays "Neville Sinclair", a Hollywood star known for his swordfighting action pictures, who is secretly a Nazi spy.
Well, I got the joke and smiled, David. :)

And I agree about about Flynn on blu.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
davidmatychuk said:
[/list]

might as well then throw in My Favorite Year (another 'Flynn' missing from Blu)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
JohnMor said:
Well, I got the joke and smiled, David. :)

And I agree about about Flynn on blu.
No kidding; I've got 4 different Warner Home Video DVD box sets, containing 19 Errol Flynn movies (ranging from all-time-classic to highly-entertaining) and a documentary, not one of which is on Blu-Ray. And I bet they've got a good version of "Santa Fe Trail" kicking around somewhere, too.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder if Warner have the original Technicolor three strip film for Dodge City? The DVD was very red & the colour registration was a bit dodgy. Mind you, it never seems right to me seeing it in colour, I grew up watching this in b/w. Time will tell

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Billy Batson said:
I wonder if Warner have the original Technicolor three strip film for Dodge City? The DVD was very red & the colour registration was a bit dodgy. Mind you, it never seems right to me seeing it in colour, I grew up watching this in b/w. Time will tell
That title probably has been a bit of a problem for Warner/MPI.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Robert Crawford said:
That title probably has been a bit of a problem for Warner/MPI.
I wonder what Warner currently has, but I remember seeing a stunning archive print of it in 1973. Ah, the pleasures of long-gone 3-strip Technicolor!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so watching TCM tonight, and Around the world in 80 days is on, and I am wondering with the original indented Todd AO presentation would have been a curved screen , if when this is released if we are going to get a flat / smilebox combo? my fingers are crossed for a presentation as it was originally intended, some of this would work so much better that way

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
dana martin said:
so watching TCM tonight, and Around the world in 80 days is on, and I am wondering with the original indented Todd AO presentation would have been a curved screen , if when this is released if we are going to get a flat / smilebox combo? my fingers are crossed for a presentation as it was originally intended, some of this would work so much better that way
Though ToddAO called for a curved screen it was nowhere as deep as Cinerama. Other Blu-rays from ToddAO films have all been flat. Cleopatra, Oklahoma, South Pacific come to mind. The only Smilebox features I've seen on Blu-ray have been Cinerama/MGM How The West Was Won and the Cinerama travelogues...Don't think that WB will provide 2 different presentations.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
little place called the widescreen museum has some different ideas as to what the curvature was, Todd AO was basically to be CINERAMA from one projector but I think it stated for the screen to be a little deeper, as for two presentations, WB did it with HTWWW and their 3D presentations always include the flat as well, hopefully one of the better qualified could answer the question of original Todd AO 70mm roadshow presentation via curved screen

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
Out of curiousity Towergrove, what is your digital collection like? UV? iTunes? Do you stream locally through a HD or just the cloud?
I use all of the items you suggest. I have a collection of itunes and UV but also do alot of local streaming and some cloud to mix it up.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
dana martin said:
little place called the widescreen museum has some different ideas as to what the curvature was, Todd AO was basically to be CINERAMA from one projector but I think it stated for the screen to be a little deeper, as for two presentations, WB did it with HTWWW and their 3D presentations always include the flat as well, hopefully one of the better qualified could answer the question of original Todd AO 70mm roadshow presentation via curved screen
HTWWW was 3 strip Cinerama. One of only two features produced in this manner. WB did an excellent job in their Smilebox blu-ray. None of the ToddAO features have Blu-rays in Smilebox. OAR of ToddAO is 2.21 while Cinerama and later Ultra Panavision 70 were 2.76:1. Actually I think Cinerama is closer to 3.0:1. Cinerama's curved screen was much deeper than the ToddAO screens. Admittedly not an expert except to say I viewed every 70mm Roadshow in NYC during the late 50's as well as 60's. Best presentation I've ever seen was the D-150 projection of The Bible at Loew's State. The folks at D-150 threatened Fox with a lawsuit since Fox was going to show The Bible in ToddAO. Fox relented and the Loew's State was forced to install a new screen to present The Bible in the D-150 format.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok a little more reading, apparently only the first two features filmed in Todd AO would be presentable this way, as the use of the bug eye lens was set up to display at 128 degree curvature, hence Oklahoma! and Around the world in 80 Days were originally designed for that presentation, along with a flat for theaters that had not been converted yet. After that the other features were filmed in Todd AO flat, but these two were designed to be seen on a curved. http://www.cinematographers.nl/FORMATS4.html has some good info as well.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
I'd love a remastered LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON (Billy Wilder). The DVD from 2001 was based on far-from-pristine elements.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
The MGM Studio Orchestra, its orchestrators, its arragements, its remarkable musicians must be preserved in the best way possible; the blu-rays should have extra care in the sound tracks that would represent this legendary orchestra's performances, both for musicials and for back ground scores. Time goes by and it would be a damn shame if these tracks were compromised or lost to mishandling. This orchestra was one of the great orchestras in the US. Please, restore their greatness on the sound tracks of all the MGM studio productions.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Edward Weinman said:
The MGM Studio Orchestra, its orchestrators, its arragements, its remarkable musicians must be preserved in the best way possible; the blu-rays should have extra care in the sound tracks that would represent this legendary orchestra's performances, both for musicials and for back ground scores. Time goes by and it would be a damn shame if these tracks were compromised or lost to mishandling. This orchestra was one of the great orchestras in the US. Please, restore their greatness on the sound tracks of all the MGM studio productions.
It's worth noting that Andre Previn, who started his career at MGM and who later changed direction and became a much respected conductor of some of the world's great orchestras, has always expressed huge admiration for the MGM orchestra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks