What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ War for the Planet of the Apes -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Possibly apes do have more native intelligence than humans.

It wasn't until more than halfway through Fox's magnificent new 4k Blu-ray of War for the Planet of the Apes, that I finally realized that the entire new Apes Trilogy, the final of two of which were directed by Matt Reeves...

were all a prequel to the 1968 Franklin Schaffner original.

While early on I thought the use of the name Maurice was a cute nod in the direction of the original, it wasn't until I saw that logo from a 1960s Chevy, that things came into focus.

Duh!

Regardless, of my own mental incapacities, this final installment of the trilogy works magnificently.

Different people will see different bents to the tale, but coming away from this one, I'm seeing a replaying of a part of America's terrible history -- the attempted destruction of the Native American tribes during the 19th century.

On a tech level, I found great pleasure in the inclusion of Dolby Atmos, something dearly missed on Fox's 4k of Dawn, as the visceral difference in presentation is amazing.

Image-wise, even as an uprez from 2k data files, and the delicate layering of HDR, the disc is a winner.

For those who have not experienced height channels, I suggest you go somewhere, and listen carefully to a sequence from a film that you know, with and without.

The Apes trilogy that is far more than the sum of its parts, due in no small respect to the work of Andy Serkis, in his incarnation of Caesar.

The fact that all three are now available in gorgeous 4k editions, adds one more reason to make the move to 4k.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd be very surprised if that set was anything more than a repackaging of the first two releases along with War.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For those who have not experienced height channels, I suggest you go somewhere, and listen carefully to a sequence from a film that you know, with and without.
What are "height channels" and how are they acquired?

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One of the best things about this movie, IMO, was how it tied into The Bridge on the River Kwai, which is also by Pierre Boulle, author of the book on which POTA is based.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The implication is events are a lot closer in the Ceasar trilogy to the eventual Planet of the Apes remake due to the absence of the extreme time dilation seen in the original. Basically once this universe's version of Taylor makes it back to Earth it'll only have been 50-60 years since he left as opposed to 2000+ in the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks