A Few Words About A few words about...™ Victoria -- in Blu-ray

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Like the mountain lions making their way north to spawn in the lakes of Scotland, one can presume that if we're being sent a special series from the UK from ITV via PBS / Masterpiece, that it's going to be something special.

And the newly minted Victoria, which covers the early years of Queen Victoria's reign, with Jenna Coleman as the Queen, is just that.

It's a gorgeously mounted production, that although produced for broadcast, more than holds its own on a large screen in projection. Crisp, colorful, and with reasonably transparent digital effects, it's one of those class acts, that is highly entertaining.

Eight episodes make up the first season, which will will continue in 2017. I recommend that you somehow find the 415 minutes necessary to ingest into your catalog of high-end TV viewing.

For an interesting comparison, The Young Victoria (2009) with Emily Blunt in the role of the Queen.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

GlennF

Second Unit
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Watched the first two hours on PBS last week. Production wise it might be good, but dramatically it falls short - especially the nonsense with the servants "downstairs". I gave it the old college try, but I think I will pass on the rest. Young Victoria with Emily Blunt is a much better bet. Talked to other people who felt the same way, but others enjoyed it.

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The real story would be interesting but this is just a superficial TV soap opera with expensive production values. Remember how well-done Wolf Hall was? Don't expect anything remotely like that.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm getting confused, I thought that there was also a series entitled "The Crown"?
That is, unless, there are two different series concerning The Royals.
Meanwhile, where can I purchase "Victoria" on BD?

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm getting confused, I thought that there was also a series entitled "The Crown"?
That is, unless, there are two different series concerning The Royals.
Meanwhile, where can I purchase "Victoria" on BD?
The Crown is about the current Queen, Elizabeth II. It's a Netflix series, so far just the first of a planned six seasons has been released.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My mother is an Anglophile to the max.
Hoping to gift her BD's of both series;
once they can be located.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Be aware, this is not totally based upon history.

It's from a recent novel, but the Brits just do it so well.

Interestingly created digital for city overviews, etc. Moving flags, smoke, a few people. But done with economy.

Same thing for "crowd" scenes. Well thought out for greatest appearance and scope.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Was that "Crowd" scenes or "Crown" scenes.;)
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on VICTORIA and the realities of its historical accuracy.
My own Queen Mum will eat up The Royals within all their narratives; as she just can't get enough of them.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightRacerKL