What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Vertigo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
People are responsible for what they do to their own faces and bodies. Society and Hollywood can apply pressure (and they do), but people only bend to it if they choose to, and some don't, as the above post about Eva Marie Saint shows. I think it's nonsense to say that someone has no choice in what they do to their own looks.

And it doesn't have to be "A" or "Z." In the case of Kim Novak, we're not talking about someone who's had a little nip and tuck done to look as if she's aging gracefully. We're talking about an 81 year old woman who has butchered her face to try to look like she's 30 again. It's sad. I'm sure Angela Lansbury (88) and Eva Marie Saint (89) have probably had some work done, but they look "their ages" more or less. They're allowing themselves to age, even if it's not 100% natural (and who knows, maybe it is). But Kim Novak was trying to make it look like it's 1950 again, and it backfired on her horribly.

Lansbury.jpg

Lansbury 2.jpg

Saint.jpg

Novak.jpg

Novak 4.jpg

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
davidHartzog said:
Frankly, I feel bad for Kim Novak.
Me too. Her mistake was trusting a doctor who clearly didn't know what he was doing. She's not oblivious to how she looks, and has opened up about it admitting it was a mistake, saying: “So why did I do it? I trusted somebody doing what I thought they knew how to do best. I should have known better, but what do you do? We do some stupid things in our lives. I mean you pay to look worse? You pay money for that?”

There are several examples of good plastic surgery, and I think Jane Fonda, 76, and Raquel Welch, 73, lead the pack (although both have also always taken very good care of themselves):

2013Oscars_JaneFonda.jpg

o-RAQUEL-WELCH-570.jpg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Hollywood's (and America's)obsession with surface beauty and eternal youth reflects poorly on all of us...there's an inner beauty of spirit that all too often gets ignored in favor of the superficial...we're all guilty of it and the entertainment industry is often a twisted mirror of that obsessive behavior, sad to say... :mellow:

Real Name
Peter Hayes
OT: I was lucky enough to see Angela Lansbury on stage last year, and believe me, she's still got it. Presence, star power, call it what you will. Maybe just call it acting talent.

And she's certainly still got a spring in her step when she wants one.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"These people do not appreciate even their own history."Jared Leto stood up so the others followed. Standing ovation is a bit overrated in Oscars.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Jari K said:
"These people do not appreciate even their own history."Jared Leto stood up so the others followed. Standing ovation is a bit overrated in Oscars.
Well, it was apparently underrated when Novak came on stage.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For male stars who went under the knife and ended up looking a caricature of their former selves, look no further than Mickey Rourke, he was handsome in the eighties, played Johnny Handsome too ,but after surgery he looked awful for a while.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Well, it was apparently underrated when Novak came on stage."My point was that sometimes they stand up and sometimes they don't.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
My point was questioning why a Hollywood industry audience would stand for U2 and not stand for Kim Novak. Presumably, standing ovations are not random even if they are not always predictable.

But then, this is the industry that gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation and booed Michael Moore. At the same ceremony!

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Jesus...first plastic surgery disasters, now celebrity sex abuse cases? For a Hitchcock thread, this is getting a little too Jerry Springer for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks