What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Vertigo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
FoxyMulder said:
How many films do Criterion directly pay for to restore and how many titles are just supplied to them under licence.
Well, in the case of Universal titles, they've released a number of films that Universal have also released themselves, and while the results are sometimes similar (in those rare cases where the Universal transfers are pretty good to begin with), in other cases, the differences are substantial...not only in terms of filtering, but in terms of framing, grading, and other aspects of the image, as well.

See: Being John Malkovich, The Game, Dazed and Confused, Brazil, and Videodrome.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oblivion138 said:
Well, in the case of Universal titles, they've released a number of films that Universal have also released themselves, and while the results are sometimes similar (in those rare cases where the Universal transfers are pretty good to begin with), in other cases, the differences are substantial...not only in terms of filtering, but in terms of framing, grading, and other aspects of the image, as well.

See: Being John Malkovich, The Game, Dazed and Confused, Brazil, and Videodrome.
I was thinking more about actual full on film restoration in the traditional sense that they have paid for themselves.

If they had the money i'm sure we would have seen them licence and release Spartacus by now, i do take your points above though and The Game is one super looking blu ray, far superior to anything Universal tends to give us these days, or indeed any days.

Real Name
Peter Hayes
The Wisconsin Film Festival is promising to screen an "original" print of Vertigo next month.
http://2014.wifilmfest.org/
I seriously thought about flying from Australia to see it until I decided that $5000 for one movie was too pricey a ticket. (And I might still have done it if I hadn't had an overseas holiday only three months ago.)
Anyone closer than I am to Wisconsin planning to go?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Keith Cobby said:
I think the problem is that, with the exception of a minority of vocal critics (us), most people don't really care enough.
Pretty much. It's the same with audio--most people are just fine with iTunes or mp3. They don't care enough to bother with lossless codecs when transferring their CDs to iTunes, let alone buying hi-res audio formats. Sad, but what can you do?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
PaulDA said:
Novak? It is a thread about Vertigo--but I'm just guessing as I didn't watch the Oscars.
I see, for a second there i was thinking Kim Basinger, a duh moment from me, Vertigo was being shown in HD over the weekend here in the UK, i didn't watch the Oscars either, it was on Sky which i don't have and it was on far too late for me anyways.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
The BBC are currently showing several Hitchcock pictures which included, last Sunday, an absolutely beautiful HD print of Vertigo. I've never seen the picture look so beautiful and even my wife this time thought the film was vaguely watchable.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Kim Novak should have taken a cue from another of Hitch's classic leading ladies: Eva Marie Saint. I saw Eva in the "Winters Tale" movie last month looking almost every one of her almost 90 years. However, she also still has her beauty and very pretty face and remains a very attractive and beautiful woman. Aging gracefully is something to be proud of.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
What's so ironic is that Novak has famously said she hated that aspect of Hollywood that placed more emphasis on the exterior than the interior, and here she is playing right into it, even when she is no longer acting. Sad.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Where in Australia are you, Foxy Mulder?
Here in Woodend Victoria, receiving transmission from Ch. 9 affiliate WIN in Bendigo, we had the Oscars live at about 12.30 or 1 in the afternoon .. though the evening repeat was certainly late. I just recorded it and watched, minus ads, at a civilised time in early evening. And yes, Kim Novak very sadly didn't scrub up too well. I thought that since she lived in the country away from city temptations, she might have avoided the cosmetic surgery predators, but sadly she seemed to have pretty comprehensively destroyed that once-fabulous visage.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
It's a lose-lose situation for these ageing stars. If they "age gracefully" (i.e. no surgery), the reality is that most people will secretly lament how much their looks have faded. In truth, few of us age gracefully; ageing is a process that eventually makes us caricatures of our younger selves.

Then on the other hand you have those stars who, with deft surgery and drugs, can appear to defy ageing to a certain extent (e.g. Stallone maintaining his action star status), and you have everyone falling over themselves to proclaim how good they look - despite the fact that much of it is not particularly natural or "graceful" in the slightest.

Ageing graceful really only comes from accepting your fate looks-wise, and focusing on maintaining a healthy and intellectually stimulating lifestyle. That is the antithesis of what Hollywood is all about in every way, especially when it comes to actresses. I feel sorry for Kim Novak because she's been caught in a bad situation almost her entire life, constantly held up to an ideal that she only briefly achieved (with great and apparently reluctant effort) in her prime. It would have been much better for her to refuse the phony Oscars affair and maintain her dignity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks