What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Urban Legend & Sleepwalkers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory has given us two Columbia releases - both genre films - and they're both glorious on Blu-ray, typical of Columbia product.

Urban Legend is a 1998 college age kids in jeopardy production, with all of the normal accoutrements.

Sleepwalkers arrived 6 years earlier, directed by Mick Garris, based on a Stephen King work, and with a host of fun cameos.

Both have numerous special features (Urban Legend needs a second disc), and probably look better than they did at the time of their release.

As to audio, Urban Legend is DTS-HD MA 5.1, while Sleepwalkers is DTS monaural.

Shout & Scream Factory continue to release quality fare, where masters are available.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrades

Sleepwalkers - from DVD - absolutely
Urban Legend - from earlier Blu-ray - for fans

RAH

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Did you actually sit through Sleepwalkers? My condolences. That's a painful one.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

There are a handful of good ones, but you have to admit that, by volume, most Stephen King adaptations are pretty lousy.

I saw Sleepwalkers in the theater and found it dreadful. The "How Did This Get Made?" podcast tore it apart to hilarious effect in an episode last year.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Really Sleepwalkers is 2.0 Mono? I figured that movie had to have a Dolby Stereo track! Hmmmm

It seems unlikely that a studio movie released in 1992 would be monaural. IMDb just says "Dolby," which isn't helpful. The older Blu-ray from 2012 had a 2.0 stereo track. RAH may be either mistaken or joking about this one.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It was Dolby Stereo theatrically.

Dolby.jpg

Stephen-Kings-1992-SLEEPWALKERS-original-rolled-27x41-O-S.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy Sleepwalkers too. Not a masterpiece but good
There are a handful of good ones, but you have to admit that, by volume, most Stephen King adaptations are pretty lousy.

I saw Sleepwalkers in the theater and found it dreadful. The "How Did This Get Made?" podcast tore it apart to hilarious effect in an episode last year.
I found Slepwalkers very entertaining. A good but not great film. A rare 80's or 90's horror film that actually did something new. Compared to Urban Legend or a lot of the 80's schlock that gets released by Scream Sleepwalkers is a masterpiece. So many really bad 80's horror films get head scratching blu ray releases. Many were the dime a dozen horror films that we rented in the 80's and felt we wasted the $3 renting it. But now they get Blu Rays. So I can't see the complaint on Sleepwalkers compared to so many other bad horror film releases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks