1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Universal Horror Collection: Volume 3 - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 34 Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2019
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Richard M S, Dave H and Peter Keller like this.
  2. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Oops... you mean "Horror Island," Robert.... :)

(Though there may indeed have been a hotel on the island...)

aPhil and Jack K like this.
  3. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    Sad to hear that these do not look better.

Also, a bit of an odd collection considering the 1st set in the series all contained Karloff/Lugosi starring films -- None of these films seem to be connected in any way (other than production dates) --

Seems that “Man Made Monster” (w/ Lionel Atwill) should have been in the 2nd set as three of those four films starred Lionel Atwill. Why not four of four?

4. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Unfortunately I’m a die hard B move fanatic. I’m still looking forward to this.

5. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Me too! I'm a sucker for Peggy Moran in anything (even though HORROR ISLAND is not one of her best) and the cast alone for BLACK CAT (Broderick Crawford, Basil Rathbone, Gladys Cooper, Bela Lugosi, Alan Ladd, and Chris Pines' nana) makes it a long time favorite. I've never seen TOWER but am looking forward to it.

6. Jack K

Jack K Auditioning

John

I'm a die hard B horror fan and proud of it and I'll be greatly enjoying this release. By the way Will, I'm also a Peggy Moran fan.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Agreed so I look forward to picking it up next week. :)

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I’ll be interested in knowing from fans of the genre, if you feel that there’s enough of an uptick in quality here from DVD.

New masters would have meant a great deal, especially on the title that doesn’t have Blu resolution.

timk1041, Nick*Z, ahollis and 3 others like this.
  9. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Granted none of these are top-tier Universal Horror. But the fact that someone has gone to the extra mile to actually release the B films. Gives the fans of Universal horror the complete and total experience yeah some of them aren't great films some of them probably weren't even filmed that great or done really quick. Short run times, these were jobbers used to fill the bills along with possibly a chapter from one of the many serials of the time. Which seems to be getting it's own sets of releases from VCI.
    I used to have Universal classic horror archive on DVD but somehow lost the double set of discs in the moved so the fact that it's more than just two DVDs I don't have can have anything to reference the new set against.

Suzanne.S and timk1041 like this.
  10. J. Casey

J. Casey Second Unit

Jason
    Give me Beebe, Waggner, Kenton, R.V. Lee, and others over the A-listers every time. Love these movies. Ordered 2 copies of this set sight unseen. Unless they've been colorized, I will enjoy them!

timk1041, RBailey, Jack K and 2 others like this.
  11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I bought set 1 but passed on set 2 but I am definitely in for this set. Better B titles imho than set 2.

Will Krupp likes this.
  12. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    I wish they would release JUNGLE CAPTIVE and INNER SANCTUM. I'm glad HOUSE OF HORRORS is coming in the next set. I can't wait to see Rondo Hatton in HD! These are well-done. They are expensive, but I'm just glad they are getting released.

Jack K, timk1041 and Darby67 like this.
  13. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Silly? Man-made Monster silly? Wha?

Jack K, warnerbro and TravisR like this.
  14. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    I'm with you on this one, Robert. I am sincerely tired of major studios dumping whatever junk transfer they have from the bad ole VHS/DVD era onto a new format simply to advertise it as such, while, avoiding direct responsibility for it. Released through Shout! - not Universal. Still, Uni is responsible. Shout should merely be ashamed to have accepted below par quality for their own label. 'Window-boxed main titles'?!?! A dead giveaway these haven't been inspected or upgraded in a VERY long while.

Peter Keller and aPhil like this.
  15. ValLewton

ValLewton Stunt Coordinator

Alex Renskoff
    Hi I bought the set from Shout and got it on Monday and watched Horror Island- the movie and Peggy Moran look great- big improvement on the DVD. It does full just to Elwood Bredell's photography- great blacks and shadows- very moody- fantastic looking transfer- just watch the unrestored trailer and you will see the vast difference. Also Peggy Moran fans- she spends the majority of the movie in a nightgown - you will not be disappointed. I hope these keep coming until we have all of the Universals collected. B Movie heaven.

16. Message #16 of 34 Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    I'm excited to see MAN MADE MONSTER which was Lon Chaney Jr's first horror film.

17. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

I agree wholly with your assessment of these films.

18. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Somehow I pressed the wrong key here!

I agree wholly with your assessment of these films.

The only real "jewel" is TOWER OF LONDON (1939) which seems out-of-place with these other lesser B-film second features.

They should have lumped all of the Karloff Universal films together in one complete set as was done before in "standard" DVD.

MAN-MADE MONSTER (1941) would have more suitably been grouped with the other Volume two Lionel Atwill films. Atwill is great as usual but somehow this film just doesn't have any appeal for me and I can't really determine why. Maybe its the unsatisfactory teaming of Lon Chaney, Jr. and Lionel Atwill which just doesn't successfully gel or perhaps it's the "outdated" notion of electricity as a means of restoring the dead which was still being unconvincingly (and tiresomely) exploited in INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN (1956).

But over the years I've ceased to be a fan of the Universal Pictures 1940s horror films with a few exceptions (especially in stark contrast to the superior and more inspired Val Lewton 1940s screen horror classics).

From the sound of things no real restoration work has been done on any of these latter issued titles so are they really worth getting at the (more) expensive blu-ray medium?

19. Message #19 of 34 Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman
    Supporter

Brian
    These great films do look a little rough, but I'm beyond happy to have then on blu. They don't look too awful projected; I've seen better; and worse. I don't have the dvds to compare, but I'd imagine there's gotta be at least some improvement.

Peter Keller, Jack K and timk1041 like this.
  20. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Is it just a mere coincidence or does a lot of these actresses in these old horror films spend much of the time in their nightgowns?!

Peter Keller and ahollis like this.