What's new

A few words about...™ Tyrone Power / Matinee Idol Collection (1 Viewer)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Chandler75 said:
I worked on both collections. The first one sold beyond Fox's wildest dreams so they wanted to do a second one. I, too, hope there will be a third.
Just some trivia - Daytime Wife was actually Zanuck's punishment for Tyrone marrying Annabella. Zanuck was furious and had tried to get her to go back to Europe on a three picture deal, but she wouldn't leave Power. DFZ was so angry that he had her blacklisted. One hears of Louis B. Mayer forcing his stars to get married; Zanuck was the opposite. He wanted his #1 star to be attainable in the dreams of his fans.
Being a baby boomer, I grew up with some of these films on the Late Show and Fox's primetime show, Saturday Night at the Movies. I'm always surprised at the holes people have in their knowledge of his work. Many people have only seen Witness for the Prosecution. Part of the reason is that many of the new classic film fans are as a result of Turner Classic Movies, which only owns a few of his films. Strangely, he is a strong presence on the TCM message board - and those fans are probably boomers or even older. I think his fans being underserved is one of the reasons the first boxset sold so well. Now I notice that many of his fans are as young as 13.
I hope the fact that some of these films aren't well known to a segment of the public today isn't going to keep them from buying this set. It is very well priced, and some of the movies are very good or at least fun. The reviews have been good though one review described Love is News as failed Hawks, Cafe Metropole as failed Lubitsch etc. - more a criticism of Fox, though I think both of those movies are delightful. Hollywood has always been derivative in its choice of stories.
It's been quite sometime since Fox hit the jackpot with Tyrone Power DVD collections 1&2 ... Is there any chance of a third? I know most of his films have seen DVD release, but there are a handful that could make a nice bookend for that Classic bookshelf...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy /t/274872/a-few-words-about-tyrone-power-matinee-idol-collection#post_3964116
It's been quite sometime since Fox hit the jackpot with Tyrone Power DVD collections 1&2 ... Is there any chance of a third? I know most of his films have seen DVD release, but there are a handful that could make a nice bookend for that Classic bookshelf...
Since SUEZ has now appeared on Fox Cinema Archives MOD program, I would expect the rest of the Tyrone Power titles to appear through that program also.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I was planning on watching Lloyd's of London last night on TCM, but my sister asked if we could change the channel to watch "The Timey-Wimey of Doctor Who." I checked later online, hoping to see if Lloyd's was on DVD, and it's not. :( Hopefully it'll reach Fox Cinema Archives soon, though I'd prefer if the Tyrone Power Box Set Volume 3 came to fruition...
As for I'll Never Forget You, it was a pleasant surprise when I bought the box set a couple years ago. I only knew of Power in Nightmare Alley (which I initially didn't like, but a couple reviewings later made me a fan), Witness for the Prosecution, Blood and Sand, and The Mark of Zorro. This set was a great purchase, as I was unaware of most of these movies, and could go into them cold.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Escapay said:
I was planning on watching Lloyd's of London last night on TCM, but my sister asked if we could change the channel to watch "The Timey-Wimey of Doctor Who."
You actually watch TV live? Nowadays most of us schedule whatever we want to watch on the DVR and watch it when it's convenient. Not to mention the ability to watch one show while you record another. You'll just have to wait until TCM decides to air Lloyds of London again and it could be a really long wait!

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Mark-P said:
You actually watch TV live?
We don't have DVR, :/ Plus, I like watching TCM live. But after six straight hours of Freddie Bartholomew, my sister wanted something different, hence Doctor Who.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks