What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Twilight -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Twilight Saga, based upon the incredibly popular YA novels penned by Stephanie Meyer, seems to have been on video since the time of VHS. Multiple permutations and combinations.

I believe the last entry was a beautifully prepared boxed set of the entire series, which was an extremely high quality affair, ex the actual box holding the book and discs within. Place the box properly on your self, pick it up, and the contents will fall from the bottom, and probably land on your foot.

I've always wondered why such things would have the opening on the bottom.

That aside, here we are a full decade after the release of the first film in the five-part project, and that first film has landed on 4k Blu-ray with HDR, courtesy of Lionsgate.

Shot on film (S35), and completed as a 2k DI, going back to film, which I presume was probably never cut and conformed, would have been an extremely expensive adventure. What we have is the 2k up-rezzed to 4 in a more professional manner than one's player might achieve, and it looks terrific.

The addition of HDR allows for richer blacks, and a slightly different overall palette, but the director's (Catherine Hardwicke) intent is intact, and the project was vetted and approved by Ms Hardwicke.

I'm not the target audience (14 year-old girls) for anything YA, but can appreciate the genre. I've not seen Twilight since the time of it's release, so re-visiting was interesting.

The film holds up, and may play better today than it did back then.

But there's a kicker here -- a secret sauce -- which may be adding to the film's overall luster.

The aural magic of Dolby Atmos.

Used here primarily for some effects, music, and that fun, family baseball game, Atmos comes on strong, adding punch, and widening the parameters of the proscenium, in the best of ways.

Original fans of the film may now be on to other things, but there is always a new crew of teens, my perception is that if they're lucky enough to have parents that will purchase this 4k for them, and run it in the family's big room, they'll be thrilled - all over again.

There are also new extras.

The rest of the series will be re-issued as HD level Blu-rays, as well as 4k HD via digital platforms.

Image - 5 (HDR10 / Dolby Vision)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes, for Dolby Atmos

Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Uhh RAH? The "days of VHS" were long over by the time this made it to theaters.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It was a joke by RAH.
Well there was a Twilight on VHS ...
s-l225[1].jpg
;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So is this the only "Twilight" movie to see prior release on a 4K disc?

I received the Best Buy exclusive 5-movie set due tomorrow.

I can't find evidence of films 2-5 as 4K discs but wanted to check.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So is this the only "Twilight" movie to see prior release on a 4K disc?

I received the Best Buy exclusive 5-movie set due tomorrow.

I can't find evidence of films 2-5 as 4K discs but wanted to check.
It appears to be the case yes. I would imagine the uhd didn't sell well because Twilight's core audience doesn't really care about 4k (especially UHDs sourced from filmouts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks