What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Transformers -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Michael Bay's original Transformers (2007), is (of the series), the one worth a couple of hours of your time. Even for civilians.

Paramount has released the series in 4k, beginning with the latest, The Last Knight, a couple of months ago. And now the first four in the updated format.

This is probably a series, that one will either love or hate, but for those in the former category, fans will be thrilled with what Paramount has done.

While I find HDR to be extremely film-centric, which works for some films, and not as well for others, here it really shines, along magnificent color, and rich, black blacks.

Audio, in Dolby Atmos, can turn one's home theater into a mini-IMAX venue, with absolutely superb sound.

There's no subtlety here. But you knew that. Few will enter a theater to see a Transformer film, and except to see something akin to Brief Encounter.

But for those lovers of everything Transformer, this is the stuff that...

It's a fun film, and a wonderful 4k offering.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Alberto_D

BANNED
Why multi milion dollar films are still mastered in 2K, explaining why most 4K eiditons are just a conversion from a 2K file, if since Spider Man 3 the 4K technoloy for mastering was available ?

Mosty people don't even know they are getting a 2K interpolation to 4K, instead of true 4K. There should be laws against that.
Like this image bellow cleary show, people are being fooled :

4k_resolution_chart.jpg

4:3 2K, still far away :
ResolutionChartMonitor.jpg

Last edited:

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I purchase this 4K title for $9.99 at BB. Also, Amazon price matched.

Sure it wasn't Transformers: The Last Knight? This thread is about the 1st movie in the series Transformers which doesn't have a release date until 12/5.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Why multi milion dollar films are still mastered in 2K, explaining why most 4K eiditons are just a conversion from a 2K file, if since Spider Man 3 the 4K technoloy for mastering was available ?

Mosty people don't even know they are getting a 2K interpolation to 4K, instead of true 4K. There should be laws against that.
Like this image bellow cleary show, people are being fooled :

4k_resolution_chart.jpg

4:3 2K, still far away :
ResolutionChartMonitor.jpg

Most viewers cannot see / tell the difference between 2 and 4k.

Most theaters run 2 and not 4k.

In general terms the expense to post in 4k, especially for fx ladder films is not financially viable.

And the differential in cost, dealing with older films in 4k is even less viable, unless the process is toward asset protection, and the production of DCPs.

Of all the potential “against” laws, this isn’t even in the radar. Nor should it be.

Alberto_D

BANNED
A new format to push people to buy 4K TVs, but the cinema industry itself is not up to mastering yet...
And some people talk about 8K...
If people don't see difference from 2K to 4K, something is wrong.

Mr Harris, I'm sorry for disagree. But I think it's similar to interpolare a 480p transfer and sell as a blu ray. The fact of people notice or not don't change the lie.

Maybe I'm getting out of the purpose of this topic. If so, a moderator can delete my post.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sure it wasn't Transformers: The Last Knight? This thread is about the 1st movie in the series Transformers which doesn't have a release date until 12/5.
Guess what, Amazon delivered my Transformers 4K/UHD disc today. I ordered it on November 27th when they reduced the price and used some reward points. The other Transformers movies were also on sale, but this is the best one so I'll wait for a better sale on those other films.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Guess what, Amazon delivered my Transformers 4K/UHD disc today. I ordered it on November 27th when they reduced the price and used some reward points. The other Transformers movies were also on sale, but this is the best one so I'll wait for a better sale on those other films.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow.
In the words of one of the stars:
71204-143348165581-cyyk2k1.jpg
;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't watched Transformers in its entirety for a good 5-6 years. Watching it today on 4K/UHD disc was an entertaining experience. Close to a reference disc for me.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
1 was pretty good but I watched Dark of the Moon last night.

By far my fav of the bunch. PQ/HDR, especially once Sam heads toward Chicago, is excellent. Audio was good too. At about 43 mins to go when the wingsuit guys jump out of the Osprey in slo mo, the slow heartbeat was thumping.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Revenge of the Fallen today, looks good, but definitely more like #1 instead of Dark of the Moon. Audio was great and the final battle in Egypt looked great.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Got all 5 4K/UHD as a Christmas present from the wife. Can’t wait to fire them up. Good dumb fun. Fun bring the operative word. :thumbsup:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Got all 5 4K/UHD as a Christmas present from the wife. Can’t wait to fire them up. Good dumb fun. Fun bring the operative word. :thumbsup:

Of the words "good", "dumb" and "fun", I'm pretty sure only one of those applies to the Transformers movies - and it's not the 1st or 3rd words! :rolling-smiley:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
1 was pretty good but I watched Dark of the Moon last night.

By far my fav of the bunch. PQ/HDR, especially once Sam heads toward Chicago, is excellent. Audio was good too. At about 43 mins to go when the wingsuit guys jump out of the Osprey in slo mo, the slow heartbeat was thumping.
Used this one to get my crossover to sub. Some of the lowest bass to AB loop. Sounds fantastic on my system. My fav too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks