What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Tough Guys -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jeff Kanew's 1986 Touch Guys, is a film that I just plain out enjoy.

It's a comedy, with a great deal of silly business, that places Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas center stage for the (correct me, if I'm wrong) fourth time, and the rapport between the two is undeniable.

The film is just plain fun, and if you've not seen it, you need to experience these two masters at work on a small scale.

For those uninitiated, my advice is to just go with this one. It's a crowd pleasure, and a tiny treasure.

Image and audio quality is high quality, finally allowing me to deaccession my laserdisc.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'll be deaccessioning my VHS tape of "Tough Guys", and once it's been fully deaccessioned, I'll undeaccession my personal vocabulary to make room for my favourite new word. After spending my entire life collecting things, how on earth did I not know this word? Well, they'll never deaccession you, Mr. Harris; you're accessional just the way you are, and you can look it up!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll be deaccessioning my VHS tape of "Tough Guys", and once it's been fully deaccessioned, I'll undeaccession my personal vocabulary to make room for my favourite new word. After spending my entire life collecting things, how on earth did I not know this word? Well, they'll never deaccession you, Mr. Harris; you're accessional just the way you are, and you can look it up!

Always liked that word, as it applies to archives and collections.

Don't have enough chances to use it

That, and "whilst," which some take as puffery.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Always liked that word, as it applies to archives and collections.

Don't have enough chances to use it

That, and "whilst," which some take as puffery.
As in "Wilst I was deaccessioning my VHS of TOUGH GUYS I espied a golden curl that belonged to a pretty girl"? I was trying to throw Gilbert & Sullivan in there. Don't know if I was successful.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Love the movie...love the two immortal stars of this film...thanks to RAH for confirming that KL's BD treatment is excellent...love that we can finally view it at home in a proper presentation....and have been delighted by the wit of all the comments in this thread...it all puts a smile on my face...

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
"Deaccsessioning" followed by "puffery" made me smile during a challenging morning. Thank you Mr. Harris!

WillLon

Agent
Real Name
Wil
This is, in fact, the 6th and final teaming of Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas in a film.

Apparently, they were not close friends off-screen at all - that was all just publicity. Burt Lancaster receives first billing before Douglas in all these films (except Entebbe, I think) as well.

1948 I Walk Alone DVD ?
1957 Gunfight at the OK Corral DVD
1959 The Devil's Disciple DVD
1964 Seven Days in May (reissued on BluRay recently)
1976 Victory at Entebbe Warner MOD DVD (TVM shot on video like a soap opera)
1986 Tough Guys BluRay
--

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is, in fact, the 6th and final teaming of Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas in a film.

Apparently, they were not close friends off-screen at all - that was all just publicity.
In his autobiography Kirk Douglas says they became very good friends when they worked together on Gunfight At The O. K. Corral and remained friends to the end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently, they were not close friends off-screen at all - that was all just publicity. Burt Lancaster receives first billing before Douglas in all these films (except Entebbe, I think) as well.

--
That's not true based on the books I read about Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. They were indeed good friends until Lancaster's death.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
What a fun movie. I asked for it for Fathers Day and watched it this afternoon. It looks better on this blu than I remember it looking theatrically.

The funny thing is, not having seen this in 31 years, the over the top depiction of 80s style seems as foreign to me now as it did to Harry and Archie. The music throughout really dates this movie, but in a fun way.

And I forgot how great Eli Wallach was in this film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm fairly certain that I Walk Alone has never been released on home video in any format. It can be streamed at Amazon, however.
That is correct. That's too bad because I Walk Alone is a good film that is underrated in my opinion with some similar elements to Angels with Dirty Faces. I'm talking about the Douglas/Lancaster relationship versus a similar one in Bogart/Cagney.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That is correct. That's too bad because I Walk Alone is a good film that is underrated in my opinion with some similar elements to Angels with Dirty Faces. I'm talking about the Douglas/Lancaster relationship versus a similar one in Bogart/Cagney.

I've only ever seen I Walk Alone on television, and that was a long, long time ago. I'd buy any halfway decent disc of this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks