What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Topsy-Turvy -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I should make note of the fact that the new image harvest of Mike Leigh's Topsy-Turvy was supervised by cinematographer Dick Pope.

Mr. Pope has taken the specifications of Blu-ray and wrung out every last bit of black, color and shadow detail in his transfer and made them mesh beautifully.

I've been meaning to try some new tech gear, and courtesy of Value Electronics of Scarsdale, NY, have been loaned a new JVC RS50 projector. After viewing images that I know well, including the opening of The Godfather on my Sony Ruby, I made the switch to the JVC. Actually I made the change during the dialogue "tried to take advantage of her," at which point the beautiful gray shadings of the several year old Sony changed to rich blacks, allowing the proper shadow detail above black, along with a perfect representation of Mr. Willis' golden tones, much as the image appears in 4k.

The differences between the two units, not only in overall resolution, but in brightness, apparent color space, shadow detail, and incredible blacks, are amazing.

At this point I decided it was time to try Topsy-Turvy, the wonderful bio-pic of Gilbert and Sullivan and the creation of The Mikado. I had seen the film theatrically, and still recall the blacks, shadow details and exuberant use of color.

How did Criterion fair.

Dramatic. Perfect. Film-like. Rich and beautiful.

Along with DTS-HD Master Audio, the new Blu-ray is perfection on a tiny disc.

Topsy-Turvy is a great film. For those unaware, I suggest ownership. Immediate.

As for the loan of the RS50, I've a feeling I can't survive without it.

I've offered two goats in trade. I consider that honorable.

Topsy-Turvy is Highly Recommended, and the perfect pairing for high end projection gear as well as a well-adjusted flat panel. A huge "bravo!" to Criterion

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Really, can't wait. Only saw it once, just on DVD on an old CRT TV, but the film was mesmerizing, even more so for anyone the least bit enamored of G&S in general or "Mikado" in particular. At this point I'm quite sure I've forgotten more of it than I've remembered, so this is shaping up to be one doubleplusgood thrill all around.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
What an amazing film it is. My favourite bit is where Gilbert's wife is describing her strange dreams to him, in a fruitless effort to get him to come to bed, and at the same time communicating her deep sadness to him. And the songs are fantastic too, as they stay away from the well-worn show pieces. Personal favourite: the one at the end of the film, "The Sun Whose Raise Are All Ablaze." A great piece to go out on.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
Does this release have English subtitles? It was always a great disappointment to me that the original PAL DVD did not have English subtitles.

I haven't seen it since the original cinema release.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Thanks for the review Robert. This is one our favorite films and is already pre-ordered. I'm glad to read such a glowing review. Looking forward to watching it on our humble Sanyo Z60 projector (720p) with 92" screen.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Nick Laslett

Does this release have English subtitles? It was always a great disappointment to me that the original PAL DVD did not have English subtitles.

I haven't seen it since the original cinema release.

Every Criterion disc I've reviewed in the last several years has SDH subs if the film is in English. I would be surprised if this one is any different.

Update: I just checked my review copy (which I won't get to for a few more days). It does have SDH subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks