What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Topper -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The original 1937 Topper, directed by Norman McLeod, is a charming fantasy, based upon the work of Thorne Smith.

It spawned sequels and a TV series.

A sweet crowd-pleaser of a film, Topper is offered to us on Blu-ray via VCI, and I wanted very much to like it.

Having tried it on two totally different setups, I find myself unsuccessful.

While the film has been "digitally restored," I'm seeing far too much digital, especially on an LCD panel, and not enough restored. Anomalies abound, but if one doesn't look too closely, or softens focus, just a bit, things should be fine.

Sync also seems to be a problem.

Terrific film. Less than acceptable offering.

Image - 3

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Fail

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well I have to disagree with RAH here. I thought this Blu-ray was a big improvement over the previously released DVD. I'm not saying it's to Warner Archive or Sony's standards, but I think most of us will be happy with it. I was actually more impressed with it after I again watched the DVD for about 30-35 minutes.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
RAH, is this an authorized release? Because I understand Sonar/Hallmark owns the film negative rights, and I saw the UCLA restored version years back on TCM.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well I have to disagree with RAH here. I thought this Blu-ray was a big improvement over the previously released DVD. I'm not saying it's to Warner Archive or Sony's standards, but I think most of us will be happy with it. I was actually more impressed with it after I again watched the DVD for about 30-35 minutes.
I see that RAH has changed his image grade from 2.5 to 3.0 which I don't have as much of a problem with now. I'll give it a 3.25-3.5 grade.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
RAH, is this an authorized release? Because I understand Sonar/Hallmark owns the film negative rights, and I saw the UCLA restored version years back on TCM.
I do believe this is a legit version.
VCI currently has an arrangement with Sprocket Vault, who in turn, currently have the necessary rights in place for at least some of the Hal Roach film library, including an upcoming Charley Chase 1930-31 sound short DVD volume 1 set.

CHEERS! :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I see that RAH has changed his image grade from 2.5 to 3.0 which I don't have as much of a problem with now. I'll give it a 3.25-3.5 grade.

I took another look, on two setups. Projection was acceptable aside from sync, which is adaptable. On an LCD, the terrors came to the fore. Appears to be auto-clean.

Take a look at the dissolve outside the bank, and watch carefully as things disappear.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I took another look, on two setups. Projection was acceptable aside from sync, which is adaptable. On an LCD, the terrors came to the fore. Appears to be auto-clean.

Take a look at the dissolve outside the bank, and watch carefully as things disappear.

And then there's Roland Young's shower, with the digital world attempting to keep up with water drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
That is disappointing.
Do you mean there is no filmic grain in the transfer and it's heavily DNRed?

Reactions: PMF

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I gave ity a 2. It looks bloody awful. Typical VCI scrubberama. The source looks (might have been) clean with reasonable black level. But who would know. This is as horrible as their scrubbed White Zombie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

And then there's Roland Young's shower, with the digital world attempting to keep up with water drops.

I'll revisit this Blu-ray again later today after I get some sleep. I've been up most of the night watching other movies.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With all of the accessible advancements in technology, I wonder why any group bothers to release a title without displaying some gallant efforts towards visual improvements. Yes, there are the arguments that having something available on BD is better than not.
But based on these posts, VCI may need to regroup and take another approach.

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I absolutely love this film and I have been watching this blu ray non-stop for two weeks. It seems that the whites bloom and bleed blindingly. I did seem to notice places where the dialogue was out of sync, but on the whole this is so much better than anything I've ever seen with this film, I'm glad to have it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I absolutely love this film and I have been watching this blu ray non-stop for two weeks. It seems that the whites bloom and bleed blindingly. I did seem to notice places where the dialogue was out of sync, but on the whole this is so much better than anything I've ever seen with this film, I'm glad to have it.
I have far less discernible eyes to video defects than RAH. Therefore, I took another look at this blu-ray this afternoon and though I recognize some of what RAH has stated, they didn't display themselves on my OLED that RAH has noted. As to the sync issues, I didn't notice anything that detracted from my enjoyment of the blu-ray.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
Well, with RAH saying that projection is acceptable (which is how I will be watching it), and Robert Crawford's statements, I think I am going to give this a go anyway. I really want a blu of this film. I enjoy the movie and it sounds like it just might be worth it.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just hope it looks better than the Artisan DVD as that's what its intended to replace. But it's VCI and as much as I love and appreciate the label , their Blu-rays are often sub-par , from both reviewers and collectors. This is not a knock on them but more of an observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks