What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ To Catch a Thief (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm torn about Paramount's new SD DVD of To Catch a Thief.

Far higher in quality in comparison to the initial release, and with beautiful color and densities, the film, which was produced on Eastman 5248 and in VistaVision, is seemingly devoid of grain, and looks rather unlike film.

This is a problem for me and for others who follow the original grain theory. The many viewers who hate grain will love it, and with
everything else going for it, there's a great deal to love here.

As an overall home video experience the new To Catch a Thief should fit the bill of anyone who has the common sense to wish to view this delightful mini-masterpiece. The track seems to be based upon a stereo music element, but in my current (hotel based) system, it remains a bit uncertain.

Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The lack of grain issue is definitely a problem with me. Also, I'm not going to buy this SD DVD because I hope Paramount releases it on HD/BRD.

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I'm really curious as to how the stereo track was created.
Usually, paramount takes the mono mag which has separate mono dialog, music and effects, takes out the mono music and replaces it with the stereo music tracks.
When I worked at Pioneer laserdisc, we wanted to do this, but paramoutn only had a composite mono optical track for the film and NO clean music tracks at all .

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Mr Harris, is it possible this is a new transfer from the V-V O-neg, which in combination with some digital magic is how they've managed to erase all the (presumably minimal as it's V-V) grain?

Or have they just cleaned up the existing transfer or done a new transfer from the same 4 perf ip?

As for the sound it could be one of Chace's (or one of their competitor's) attempt's at stereo-ization from mono (which never sounds genuine to me.)

Regards

M

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I have done a quick A/V comparison on my own set-up and the new transfer blows the old DVD away. On the old DVD Cary Grants striped shirt was a shimmering nightmare, however on the new disc it is much better.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to picking this up! I've had the Paramount laserdisc which is dark and lacking in all areas! The first DVD was a massive improvement, so this new disc is a surprise to hear how good it is, in spite of the grain issue.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A bit of information for what might be considered "full disclosure."

Productions photographed on 5248, whether standard 35mm 4 perf or VVLA 8 perf had precisely the same grain structure. They were photographed on the same stock.

The differences came from a number of areas.

The Vista productions used roughly twice the image area, and whether printed down to 35mm or straight across to 8 perf, had an appearance of being less grainy.

This was based upon two points. Projecting an actual Vista print, which was quite rare, meant that the image would only be enlarged by approximately 50% -- larger film element -- same screen size -- more resolved image.

When it came to dye transfer printing, the Vista OCN would be replicated as a reduction image to printing matrices, which in turn would be sent through the dye bath and imbibed to the blank.

Because of the optics, dyes, mordant, etc. via the matrix stock, which had it's own grain structure, the resultant image had a smoother, "less grainy," more velvety look. A well-produced and projected Vista dye transfer print could take on the look of being very sharp, and far less grainy than the standard counterparts. Sharpness was partially an illusion, helped by the contrast of the process.

Creating a video element from a large format source, in this case most likely separation masters, should have produced an image with approximately 50% of the normal grain -- fine, but still a part of the image, as it became lost in the duping process.

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So if I understand you correctly, RAH, this new transfer is completely grainless, a la Lowry Digital Imaging restorations? I've seen the screencaps on DVD Beaver and the colour looks great, so I will probably pick this up, but it's a shame that none of the "sparkle" of the original film grain is retained.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

In other words, To Catch A Thief has been given The Linoleum Treatment.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have no specific information as to how the clean-up was handled or by whom. I can only report what I see on my monitor, which is a quality product with low grain.

Whether this is positive or negative depends totally on which side of the fence one sits.

RAH

DeeF

Screenwriter
About the sound, does the credit music sound "wobbly," is that what you're hearing?

It sounds wobbly to me.

The picture far surpasses the original DVD, and I don't know what the movie looked like, so I have no complaints.

:)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Does this sometimes come down to taste? Two different video with the same film may end up producing an transfer with more or less grain, based on their preference?

Or, does this have something to do with what managers expect of a modern video transfer? i.e., they don't realise that preserving the 'film look' should be the number one aim of a video transfer?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I picked up the new TO CATCH A THIEF. I watched some of it, and it did seem like an improvement. Then I synched the old DVD with this one and did an A/B comparison and... WOW! It is SO different! Framing, especially during the first few reels, was SO different, revealing more on all sides. Other portions are cropped more on the top and reveal more at the bottom, but the framing in every instance (save for one) is FAR superior IMHO. Colors are more natural where they were oversaturated and somewhat blurry before. Whites that bloom and lack any kind of shadow detail in the old release are now are shades of yellow or off-white and are full of fine detail! The night scenes have heavy greeen tinting that is missing from the previous transfer, but I assume there must be some reason the tinting is there now. I'm going to make some screen capture comparisons myself and post them later today. I'm surprised a sticker touting, "New improved digital transfer!" isn't affixed to the packaging.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Here are frames from the 2002 and 2007 DVD releases of TO CATCH A THIEF. None have been retouched, and they were grabbed using VLC on a Mac. VLC doesn't let me still-step through, so a few of the captures (if not all) are a few frames off.

2002 DVD
THIEF_1a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_1b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_2a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_2b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_3a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_3b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_4a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_4b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_5a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_5b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_6a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_6b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_7a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_7b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_8a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_8b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_9a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_9b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_10a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_10b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_11a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_11b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_12a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_12b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_13a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_13b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_14a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_14b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_15a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_15b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_16a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_16b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_17a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_17b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_18a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_18b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_19a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_19b.jpg

2002 DVD
THIEF_20a.jpg

2007 DVD
THIEF_20b.jpg

I find the green tinting interesting, as I don't remember it ever being present on the previous video releases. The variations in framing are also quite interesting, as is the fact that the 2007 DVD is 1.78:1 and the 2002 DVD is matted to 1.85:1.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting the screen grabs. What a difference in color! Of course these are stills and not in motion, but the images do look much smoother and process shots look much better. The old release really looks like video in comparison!

There must be some reason for the green. Perhaps it's a Hitchcock preference. But I don't think that is a common trait of his films.

You didn't get a grab of the iconic Grace Kelley kiss sequence?:)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The framing differences really are striking!

And, of course, contrast seems to have been modified quite a bit.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I wasn't going to pick this up until I saw how dramatic the screengrabs are. I've never been happy with the video quality of this one. I'd like more details on why the two transfers are so dramatically different, especially the green tint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks