What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Titanic -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Dirty Dozen was 1.75:1 for 35mm prints and has been shown on television that way, it was also 2.20:1 for the 70mm blowup and i have seen it on television in this 2.20:1 ratio and it works very well, in fact the 2.20:1 ratio looks excellent and i prefer it to the 1.75:1, it might be interesting to see a 2.20:1 version of Aliens.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Why would you want a 2.20:1 of Aliens when some of the picture would be cropped ?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by DP 70 /t/323412/a-few-words-about-titanic-in-blu-ray/60#post_3973799
Why would you want a 2.20:1 of Aliens when some of the picture would be cropped ?

James Cameron shoots in multiple aspect ratio's, the rationale is that maybe he shot Aliens just like Aldrich shot The Dirty Dozen and composed for more than one aspect ratio, if he didn't then that's fine but i'd be interested in seeing it if he did, i'm not saying i'd want to unless it worked in another aspect ratio.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
FoxyMulder said:
James Cameron shoots in multiple aspect ratio's, the rationale is that maybe he shot Aliens just like Aldrich shot The Dirty Dozen and composed for more than one aspect ratio, if he didn't then that's fine but i'd be interested in seeing it if he did, i'm not saying i'd want to unless it worked in another aspect ratio.
Keep in mind that I have no real evidence that Cameron composed with this in mind, other than that I tried zooming the Blu-ray to 2.20:1 and thought that it looked OK. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JoshZ /t/323412/a-few-words-about-titanic-in-blu-ray/60#post_3973905
Keep in mind that I have no real evidence that Cameron composed with this in mind, other than that I tried zooming the Blu-ray to 2.20:1 and thought that it looked OK.

This is the Internet - people will read this and believe that Cameron always intended the movie to be 2.20:1!

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
eric scott richard said:
People are reporting an audio pop on both English tracks at the :29 second mark. Anyone notice this?
This may be the infamous "DTS Bomb," which is an incompatibility between a disc's soundtrack and certain home theater hardware (frequently, Onkyo receivers). If so, it may be something that not everyone experiences.

I guess it is on the dvd, 2D, and 3D versions. I wonder if this is like the pops from the first Paramount "It's a Wonderful Life" dvd? They corrected the issue for the blu-ray release.

Real Name
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
Here's this from TheDigitalBits.com about the audio issues with the Blu-Ray :
Also today, after getting a number of reader e-mails, I've confirmed that there IS a minor audio issue with Paramount's Titanic Blu-ray. About 29 seconds into the film, just as the vocal music track begins, there's a sort of "popping" sound in the audio mix. It's not overly harsh but it's definitely there on the BD and it's not on the DVD version. We've contacted Paramount to see if they're aware of it and if they have a plan to address it. We'll let you know when we hear back.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
FoxyMulder said:
I'm fairly sure that Aliens was before he started experimenting with multiple ratios. I don't think he started that until he was introduced to Super 35.
Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was curious about this pop, so I opened my blu ray and played the 2D version. I don't have a 3D player yet.
So after the Paramount logo plays and the image fades into the old sepia black and white image of Titanic leaving the port, which is about the 30 seconds into the film, I hear the music start but no pop. The only pop I hear is when the image fades to the present and we see the two submersibles on the ocean floor and the booming sound as we see them. I don't know the Titanic film that well, so I assume that's in the soundtrack. I am assuming the disc defaults to the DTS track as I didn't select one over another.
I am using a Rotel pre-amp RSP-1572 that is very new. Perhaps as mentioned above, it only affects Onkyo and certain others.

It is supposed to happen when the first vocal starts at :29 seconds. And it is supposed to be on both stereo tracks.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
eric scott richard said:
It is supposed to happen when the first vocal starts at :29 seconds. And it is supposed to be on both stereo tracks.
Perhaps the problem is restricted to the 3D version?

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
I've listened to it several times now and I am fairly certain what people are hearing is the percussive "attack" preceding the bass note. It sounds completely organic and correct to me.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
eric scott richard said:
Is the fact it was never heard before due to the limitations of the vhs and dvd mediums?
I really couldn't say -- I don't have the new DVD to compare. I did go back and listen to the old DVD, and I don't hear that percussive sound on the note in question on either the DD or DTS tracks. However (and I fully realize it's apples to oranges) the audio mix on the new BD sounds markedly different than the old DVD -- not just quality, but instrument placement, levels, etc.
If I were a betting man, I would wager that people are just used to the old mix, and the percussive sound brought forward in the new mix strikes them as out of place. Personally, it seems musical and completely intentional to me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just listened to the beginning of both my new 2-D BD and my CE DVD.

There was no "pop" on either disc at :29 (just before the vocals start).

There is a very low frequency musical that begins just before the vocal and continues underneath. And, as James notes above, the DTS-HD MA track of the Blu packs a far greater wallop than the DVD's DD 5.1 Surround EX track.

There is definitely no "pop" anywhere to be found...just the appropriate soundtrack music.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
This reminds me of the first time I watched the DTS laserdisc of Jurassic Park, which starts with a real low-frequency punch.
I had it so loud, that it tripped a breaker.
I did not blame the source material for this, although I did question the dedicated 15-amp run that I had for my A/V amplifier.
I will sample Titanic 3D tonight and see if it trips anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks