1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Three Ealing / Guinness Comedies - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 26, 2019.

1. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    I have this UK Blu-ray. At the time it was released (also 2011), it was the first Blu-ray in the world, but I think the reason for the term "Digitally Restored" comes down to marketing, along with the fact that at the time, most of these Blu-rays were also simultaneously re-released on DVD using the then-new HD masters. Since these DVDs had to be differentiated from previous ones, my guess is that StudioCanal thought that having "Digitally Restored" on the packaging made it easy to do so.

My guess is yes.

Barely, at the time. :) It's only because I had pre-ordered the 2019 UK release myself, and so I was already keenly aware that the "Collector's Edition" offered very little to justify the extra expense.

2. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Some collection of bits followed some sort of path from one location to another.

B-ROLL likes this.
  3. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    While i was looking at the Ealing films at Amazon UK I wanted to buy Young Winston (1972) and noticed in the description of the disc "High Definition remaster". Do not know what to think of that and the condition of the print used for the disc?

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Ha, digitally restored from original elements (whatever they are), just add 4K for the cherry on the top.

I'm very happy with my Blu-ray of Ealing's, Dunkirk.

atcolomb likes this.
  5. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Saw the disc a few months ago and what a nice looking picture and liked the movie more than recent remake.

6. MarkantonyII

MarkantonyII Agent

Mark
    atcolomb likes this.
  7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
  8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    KL Insider on the other forum says SC insists that they received the 2019 master.

I can only infer someone is lying - SC, KL, our all of our eyes.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Presuming that Lavender and Man are identical to the UK release, they’re worth picking on from KL.

As to Kind Hearts, I’ve never seen a completed 4k restoration, especially from an OCN, with continuous x/y movement, as well as positive detritus.

I’ll chalk it up to a clerical shipping error.

No one is lying.

B-ROLL likes this.
  10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Okay, "lying" may be too strong. At the very least someone is being misled, perhaps unintentionally.

11. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    People are fallible.

12. Message #52 of 65 Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    it's the 2011 release from Optimum - and proudly states Digitaly Restored on the slipcase..... and on the disc it has a before and after comparison, the picture is clear and the sound is solid. Beyond that it would probably take a more discerning set of eyes, And i don't have the Kino release to compare against.

Like The Lady Killers release from Lionsgate "StudioCanal Collection" also release on this side of the pond in 2010. Words get used a lot that have little meaning except to move items of stock off of a shelf, is it restored, i can't be certain, but it was available and for general casual viewing entertaining, Normally i wait an read the reviews before purchasing a lot of titles. i believe there is a review on the site here somewhere.But it does have one cavaet , it's released not in it OAR, 1955 uk, so i am uncertian, but i dont think it would have been 1.37:1

13. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Just received the three releases and did a quick a/b comparison to my two region B's from 2012. On Lavender Hill Mob they both look the same and on Man in the White Suit I give the edge to the Region B for being slightly sharper & brighter image. For Kind Hearts I only have the Criterion dvd from 2006 and no surprise that the picture on the Kino is much better.

14. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Okay, let's get real here, even though David Hare's post on the other page should have given everyone pretty much the answer. I just finished watching this new Blu-ray of Kind Hearts and Coronets, the UK 70th anniversary edition - fascinating that nowhere on the packaging does it actually say 4K or restoration. But clearly it is exactly that. It is a STUNNER. Gorgeous contrast, rock-solid image, not one SPECK of dirt or anything like that. Clearly, Kino has been given the old master and just as clearly and just as typically they will not own up to it. I'm sorry, that's just wrong. Get the right master, do it over, and replace people's discs - THAT is the right answer - you don't lie about it when the evidence, at least as stated by Mr. Harris and the fellow who compared the Kino and older UK Blu from 2011 and stated they are the SAME, is so clear. What you do is get to the bottom of it and the own up to it and then fix it. You don't double down. They won't even address the missing music on Sweet Charity. I find this incredibly cocky, but I think that is obvious any time anyone has the temerity to bring up anything to them, and their ruder than rude comments that come back.

This new UK disc is glorious - so rich and beautiful to look at. And it made me appreciate the movie even more, and especially the performance of Dennis Price, which is nothing short of brilliant. Has this been brought up in the Kino thread where such things CAN be brought up? Point me to it, if so.

lark144 and Will Krupp like this.
  15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The last official work from Kino, was that they had reached out to Canal, who should be open again this week. They have requested info from their licensor.

16. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I am just as surprised that Kino received a old master for Kind Hearts when there was a better transfer available. I bet you Criterion would have not done that and did wish they would have gotten the rights and release a Ealing box set.

17. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Well, that's good then, because the last official word I'd read was that they kept repeating they had the 4K transfer. If SC screwed up it's not Kino's fault anyway - so just get SC to fix it and they should have to eat that cost. And then Kino should have the courtesy to address the missing Sweet Charity music. Again, they were clearly given what they were given, but had they known the film they would have realized what was what and could have gone back and asked for it. Maybe Universal would have turned them down, who knows?

18. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Hmm. I've had the UK remastered disc for a few months (since July?). Had I seen this thread earlier, I would've chimed in as there's been lots of confusion in this thread. Regardless of what Kino or SC think they have our did, it's not the 4K remaster that's available in the UK and looks fantastic. If you're region free, just buy that. I did so knowing Kino was working on a US release. I wouldn't bother with Kino releases if there's a quality version out there elsewhere in the world.

Will Krupp likes this.
  19. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    The main reason I bought the Kino's is the commentary so I can learn more about the making of the films.

B-ROLL and MaconBacon like this.
  20. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    I was lucky enough to find a cheap copy of the UK 70th Anniversary disc on Ebay, so Bruce's comments are very reassuring. Should be here in a few days. I somehow missed the words from my old friend David Hare .. I'll search them out.