1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wrong Man -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The Wrong Man featurette runs 20 minutes and the Blu-ray also has the trailer. I'm working on the full review.

I Confess includes the trailers and the premiere newsreel. I haven't had a chance to look at the featurette yet but I'm sure that it is the full 21 minutes.

Osato, Dale MA and davidmatychuk like this.
  2. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Warner usually carries over everything from the DVD, no? Off the top of my head (not that anything would be able to stay up there for long), I don't know of a WB or WAC Blu-ray that has disappointed in this respect.

Osato likes this.
  3. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I can name a couple: "Easter Parade" (which lacks the 116 minute "Judy Garland: By Myself" American Masters documentary actually listed on the Blu-Ray cover that is on the American 2-DVD set) and "Kiss Me Kate" (which inexplicably has only a 5 minute segment of the 21 minute "Mighty Manhattan" vintage featurette on the DVD). There's also a still gallery on the DVD of "The Hunger" that I just noticed didn't make it onto the Blu-Ray. "Yankee Doodle Dandy" missed a couple of things on the 2-DVD special edition. I usually end up keeping a lot of DVD's for one feature or another from all the studios, though. It's just so rare now that the Blu-Ray gives you more than the DVD did ("River's Edge" had a new commentary, for one), and I'd like it if the excellent DVD special features were always ported over to the Blu-Ray.

4. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    Yet initial Blu-ray promotions touted how much better things were going to be (and they were for awhile). That's what has me scratching my head about UHD, if they couldn't sustain the features that made Blu-ray an advancement, how are they going to sustain UHD Blu-ray? I'm still buying DVDs for this reason! I know a lot of this has to do with majority public opinion of said features, but if you love catalog titles on physical media you'd better buy up those DVDs and BDs, because that's the end of the road for 99.9% of catalog titles.

Osato and davidmatychuk like this.
  5. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    The Band Wagon Blu-ray disc does not include the Two-Faced Woman outtake, so I'm keeping that DVD.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  6. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    That's another Blu-Ray and DVD pair I have. There's an old china cabinet with shelving on top of it in my dining room area full of nothing but older DVD's that haven't been rendered entirely redundant by newer Blu-Rays. Most of those DVD's were substantially more expensive when I bought them than the Blu-Rays were. It's another sign of the times, I suppose. If all people care about is paying as little as possible, the manufacturers will probably be giving us as little as possible. Would any of these DVD extras have been made solely for these Blu-Rays if they didn't already exists? I think not.

7. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    Thanks for those poster images, Reggie W. But strangely, I find the style in most of the English language ones to seem rather inappropriate for this particular film. The style of many of these imply that the film will be the typical Hitchcock picture, i.e. "fun". But The Wrong Man is anything but fun. While I think it's a very fine film, it is dark, dark, dark; there's nothing fun about it, at least that I can recall.

Osato likes this.
  8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I would not disagree, KMR, as I think the second to last one from Germany is probably the one that best sort of represents the film.

Osato likes this.
  9. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    I watched this last night for the first time. Despite it's bittersweet tone, I absolutely enjoyed it. Both Fonda and Vera Miles give fantastic performances.

It's semi-documentary approach gives it a vibe similar to films released in the 70's. Hitchcock's films are usually potboilers. This one is more akin to a slow simmer. Unfortunately for Hitch, 50's moviegoing audiences weren't ready for it.

Osato likes this.
  10. JJHLH

JJHLH Extra

John
    Fantastic news! I'm just learning about this release now. Any Hitchcock film released on blu ray is a cause for celebration in my home. He is by far my favorite director. I adore his films and watch them over and over. Hopefully the remaining Hitchcock films will come out on blu soon as well, and in such high quality!

Osato likes this.
  11. Osato

Osato Producer

Agreed. I ordered this one and I,Confess tonight. $16 is a bit pricey but I always enjoy watching hitchs films.

12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I'm sitting here with my mouth agape. Sixteen dollars is now too pricey? Should Warner Bros. just give it to you free? Should they just not release any more Blu-rays because people think sixteen dollars is too much to pay? Mind = Boggled. :) Seriously, this and I Confess are top-drawer Hitchcock. I'd pay double to own them.

Steve...O, Osato, atfree and 3 others like this.
  13. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    Then please buy two and send one my way.

---------------

14. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

How quick we forget the sky high prices we paid for laser disc

And how the transfers looked like garbage compared to what we get today from 4K scans

And the money these modern transfers cost ... Don't ask what they cost

15. Osato

Osato Producer

You might be right!

I picked up mr smith goes to Washington in December for $8.
    Apollo 13 anniversary edition was $9.99.

I get that this is a special collection and that it compares to the criterion label. Both in terms of quality and pricing. Anyway I did order both titles.
    It wasn't my intention to ruffle feathers about pricing.

Both titles shipped and I am looking forward to watching them!!

16. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I don't think you've ruffled any feathers but you have surprised some people, including me. We've all snagged a bargain or two in our time, but most of us don't expect to get similar bargains every time.

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington for $8.00 is very good. Congratulations, but do you think that all Blu-ray discs will be available at that price? What do you think of the prices Criterion, Twilight Time and Kino Lorber are charging?

Osato likes this.
  17. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    I'll tell you what I think. It depends on what I already have, and how much I like the film. If I have a good looking DVD it's hard to justify spending more than $10 or $12 on a Blu-ray upgrade. If I have a so-so looking DVD or no DVD then $20 is tolerable and $30 is painful. I don't think I've ever paid over $30 for a single film on Blu-ray, and I have no plans to start. With Blu-rays that are over $20 I often just decide that DVD is "good enough".

---------------

Osato likes this.
  18. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    I agree...just spent $66 on 2 Twilight Time Blu-ray's and felt guilty afterwards.

RMajidi and Osato like this.
  19. Message #39 of 40 Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    With smaller labels such as Criterion, Twilight Time and Panamint, I can understand that they have to charge higher prices in order to succeed as a going concern. So it's usually only after my shipment is airborne and I look at the total amount I've spent (including crushing exchange rates and overseas shipping charges) that I wonder: "what the hell is wrong with me?"

Of course, then the shipment arrives and wows me, and softens my resolve for the next round.

atfree, Osato, PaulDA and 1 other person like this.
  20. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Watching this blu-ray now for the first time. Not surprisingly it looks better than my DVD from c.15 years ago....Here's hoping we finally get Stage Fright too from WBHV.

Randy_M, RMajidi, TravisR and 3 others like this.