What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The World of Henry Orient -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
George Roy Hill's The World of Henry Orient is a delightful film about two teen girls with a crush on a pianist, who doesn't understand that he isn't Cliburn.

The credits are huge. Screenplay by Nunnally Johnson, and his daughter Nora;

a score by Elmer Bernstein;

cinematography by Boris Kaufman;

and two new-comers, Tippy Walker and Merrie Spaeth, who steal the show.

Twilight Time's new Blu-ray is another nice master from MGM, with everything neatly in place. No qualms from these quarters.

For those who've not experienced the film, just go for it. It's a cinematic pleasure.

One thing that has always caught my attention is a lack of continuity for Peter Sellers' out of control hair during a concert sequence.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
rsmithjr said:
One of my favorites.

There was a lovely film called Ghost World, directed by Terry Zwigoff and with Steve Buscemi, Thora Birch, and Scarlett Johansson. If you look closely, you will see a poster for Henry Orient on a wall. I wonder why.
Probably for the same reason it has part of that crazy dance number from the Hindi film "Gumnaam" featuring the wonderful Helen.
Zwigoff must be a real film lover's film lover.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
The interplay between Sellers and Paula Prentiss is hilarious. I think she's one of the few actors who could match his improvisational wit. They seemed to really energize each other, especially in the restaurant scene.

Also, the scene of the concerto performance was also hilarious for the music which was a brilliant parody of 20th Century experimentalism, the actors' performances, and the direction of the scene.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Doug Otte said:
The interplay between Sellers and Paula Prentiss is hilarious. I think she's one of the few actors who could match his improvisational wit. They seemed to really energize each other, especially in the restaurant scene.

Also, the scene of the concerto performance was also hilarious for the music which was a brilliant parody of 20th Century experimentalism, the actors' performances, and the direction of the scene.
B flat.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I had taken this BD to my Mother's apartment after watching. I brought it home again a few days ago to watch it again. I had forgotten it has a commentary, so I watched it while listening to the commentary this time. It's a lively and enthusiastic commentary.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Love this movie. What a valentine to the vanished era of 1960's New York that I am, regretfully, too young to have ever experienced. I don't know if it ever really existed as it does in this movie but it's definitely a world I'd like to live in. What fun and what a great presentation!

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
New York was very much like that, to my memory. The film perfectly depicts the city, at the time. Kids, even younger than the two girls depicted, had so much freedom, to just wander through the city, on their own, and get into all kinds of adventures. Completely unheard of, today. I can remember trudging through a major snowstorm to see this film, when it was in theaters. Loved it, and its main title!

https://soundcloud.com/johnm_001/01-the-world-of-henry-orient

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw The World Of Henry Orient when it first came out. I loved the film and was surprised it was not more popular.

When Twilight Time's disc was announced, I watched the DVD to check if I wanted to upgrade, and I couldn't make up my mind. Thanks to the current sale, I have now upgraded. I watched the Blu-ray disc last night and I'm very glad I bought it. The upgrade is bigger than I had expected.

I still love this film; the central premise, the mood, and the performances. I take it for granted that Peter Sellers and Angela Lansbury will be brilliant, but I've always been particularly taken with Tom Bosley's performance. Playing a decent, kind person can be difficult, but Tom Bosley judged it perfectly. I'm sorry I haven't seen more of his work.

My only criticism of this film is its title. It's not the world of Henry Orient. It's mainly about the two worlds, one real, one imagined, of the two girls.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I popped this film back in for my wife to view (she was rather bored) but I wanted to dig a little deeper into this movie. And I was quite amazed at the depth of this film which is definitely more than just two barely teenage girls crushing on a older concert pianist.

Especially when it comes to the relationship of Fran (Tom Bosley) and Isabel (Angela Lansbury) ( we don’t even meet them till what, halfway into the movie) and the decisions made by Frank about his career & family.

Excellent film. A little slow starter but worth the trip.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
For those who don't yet have this marvelous movie on blu-ray, it's ony $6 in the current TT sale!

It's sad that there's been so little interest in the blu-ray (a shame!) that they practically have to give it away, but it is perfect for a blind buy. I paid full price for it when it was released and I ain't even mad!

It has a familiar TROUBLE WITH ANGELS IN MANHATTAN 'feel' to it (Hayley Mills was originally pursued as the lead) and the cast is uniformly wonderful with the luminous Elizabeth (Tippy) Walker (in one her few film appearances) and Angela Lansbury (NOBODY plays stone cold bitch quite like our Angie) as standouts.

I said it before but this movie creates a wonderful world for these characters to exist in.

Take a chance while you can (at such a price!) :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wonderful entertainment, with a memorable theme and score by Elmer Bernstein. I was 14 when I saw this theatrically, and had a year-long crush on the so-cute Tippy Walker. I agree that Tom Bosley is remarkable in a brief but very thoughtful performance. Have always appreciated Paula Prentiss, who was often terribly underused.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks