What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 4k WoO is available as part of a "Get 3 for the price of 2" deal on Amazon. But you have to hunt and peck for the other titles which are eligible for the deal.

I just pulled the trigger on this title (along with 4k copies of Alita: Battle Angel and Disney's new live-action Aladdin).

The only way I found to see the deal is to go to the general 4k/UHD listing of titles on Amazon and then scroll through all the pages of titles looking for the mention on each one. And when you click the link to see the product info on a title and add it to your car there is no mention of it at all and you won't even know the deal is real until you add three eligible titles to your cart and then click on the link to order.

Hope this helps somebody.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 4k WoO is available as part of a "Get 3 for the price of 2" deal on Amazon. But you have to hunt and peck for the other titles which are eligible for the deal.

I just pulled the trigger on this title (along with 4k copies of Alita: Battle Angel and Disney's new live-action Aladdin).

The only way I found to see the deal is to go to the general 4k/UHD listing of titles on Amazon and then scroll through all the pages of titles looking for the mention on each one. And when you click the link to see the product info on a title and add it to your car there is no mention of it at all and you won't even know the deal is real until you add three eligible titles to your cart and then click on the link to order.

It's also available at Target for a buy 2 and get 1 free.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wrong and I posted proof from my phone. Not going down your rabbit hole again. You need to learn how iTunes works.
You have got to be kidding. How absurd. :rolling-smiley:You obviously don’t know how it works and you’ve shown that time and time again to all of us here in multiple threads with uninformed ridiculous statements. I’m done trying to help you.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
You have got to be kidding. How absurd. You obviously don’t know how it works and you’ve shown that time and time again to all of us here in multiple threads with ridiculous statements. Get a clue dude. I’m done trying to help you.
You refuse to look at the proof I posted from the screenshot off my iPhone yet I need to get a clue? May I suggest you go to the Genius Bar ASAP. Happy Halloween.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You refuse to look at the proof I posted from the screenshot off my iPhone yet I need to get a clue? May I suggest you go to the Genius Bar ASAP. Happy Halloween.
Noel, there are multiple threads about Apple TV, iTunes, and Movies Anywhere that explain exactly why a digital copy gets redeemed in HD and therefore has the 4K version blocked from purchase in iTunes. That’s what has happened to many of us with WoO. Solution? Redeem a new 4K code, Buy the 4K Version at Vudu, or use the “gift it to yourself’ trick on iTunes. Happy Groundhog Day!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Noel, there are multiple threads about Apple TV, iTunes, and Movies Anywhere that explain exactly why a digital copy gets redeemed in HD and therefore has the 4K version blocked from purchase in iTunes. That’s what has happened to many of us with WoO. Solution? Redeem a new 4K code, Buy the 4K Version at Vudu, or use the “gift it to yourself’ trick on iTunes. Happy Groundhog Day!

No need for multiple threads to figure out something so basic when I have the Apple store across the street and had it verified.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
No need for multiple threads to figure out something so basic when I have the Apple store across the street and had it verified.
Two guys walk into a Genius Bar together. The first guy who bought The Wizard of Oz on iTunes shows his phone to the bartender. "Look it says The Wizard of Oz is in 4K, but for my friend here, who got the movie from a code redemption, his phone says the movie is only available in HD. Which of our phones is correct?" The Bartender has a puzzled look as he examines both phones. "This is impossible. I've never seen such a thing!"

Last edited:

LarryH

Supporting Actor

This doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried several times and all I get is a big $0.20 discount!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried several times and all I get is a big $0.20 discount!
You've got to make sure you're picking two other titles that are part of that promotion. I just tried it with Yesterday and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald as the other two titles and it worked.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
You've got to make sure you're picking two other titles that are part of that promotion. I just tried it with Yesterday and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald as the other two titles and it worked.
I put the following in my cart

Guardians of the Galaxy
Wizard of Oz

They each show the 3 for 2 note, but the total comes up as $77.71 with the aforementioned $0.20 discount.

They were listed under the "see all" link of the "Featured 4K UHD Movies" page.

Update: Actually 2001 was shown as 3 for $49.99 or less. Apparently there are several
"deals" in play and you have to match all three choices from the same deal.

I changed 2001 to Iron Man and the price dropped to $59.75 -- so the 2 selected are the
two most expensive titles, no surprise.

Update 2: 2001, Inception, and Ready Player One (all 3 for $49.99 or less) came out to $49.38!

I think I earned the discounts with all my work (whew!).

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I put the following in my cart

Guardians of the Galaxy
Wizard of Oz

They each show the 3 for 2 note, but the total comes up as $77.71 with the aforementioned $0.20 discount.

They were listed under the "see all" link of the "Featured 4K UHD Movies" page.

Update: Actually 2001 was shown as 3 for $49.99 or less. Apparently there are several
"deals" in play and you have to match all three choices from the same deal.

I changed 2001 to Iron Man and the price dropped to $59.75 -- so the 2 selected are the
two most expensive titles, no surprise.

Update 2: 2001, Inception, and Ready Player One (all 3 for $49.99 or less) came out to $49.38!

I think I earned the discounts with all my work (whew!).
Yes, there are more deals than just the "buy 2 get 1 free" and all titles have to be specific to a particular deal for you to get that discounted pricing.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
It was a no-brainer purchase for me, and having watched it last night, I'm not at all sorry. I suppose I should put in my old BD for confirmation, but I actually found the 4K edition to be a significant improvement (it could be some kind of visual bias confirmation though). But even if there were no other improvements the fact that the credits are no longer underscanned would be enough to get to buy this!

Timothy A Goldich

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Really, why? It's a musical.
Has the audio been more beautifully rendered in the 4K version?
The audio has been well handled for years. Antique optical density tracks. How much should one change an 80 year-old film?

It looks very different from its initial release, and sounds as good, or better than it did in 1939.

Actually, the sound *has* been improved a bit. Probably the same tweaks to the audio that were made for the 3D version: "There are a few subtle differences on this new 4K disc. The most obvious are boosted channels in several key scenes, including the Wicked Witch's "Surrender Dorothy" warning and the flying monkey attack, as well as stronger amounts of LFE during the pre-Oz tornado touchdown. Additionally, several animal sounds during the opening farmhouse sequence seem to be more pronounced."

I'm glad not EVERYONE is adamantly against improvement.
Preserve the original as is, it will always be the most authentic version of the film. But that means offering a version of the film that's cleaned up, but nothing more. No digitally aligning the three strips of film, no drawing the sound from the first-generation sources and remixing into stereo, just the original muddy mono sound and slightly blurry image. That's what they managed to accomplish back in 1939 and that's what should be available to the purists.

But I'm ecstatic that the picture and sound have been radically improved from what people saw and heard 80 years ago. Some of us get tired of seeing and hearing the exact same thing endless times. Others can't get past the limitations of the past and, without modern improvements, will turn their noses up such an old movie. Like it or not, it's the trend of the future, and I'm delighted! If they decide to synthesize strips of image that go on either end of the 4X3 image to transform the aspect ratio into widescreen, I would LOVE to check it out. "How much should one change an 80-year-old film?" I say, keep those tweaks coming boys. Change it as necessary. Let the Wizard of Oz be an ongoing living thing. Keep Oz alive on into the far future!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't consider a better alignment of the 3 strips of negative an alteration. The other things you are describing, especially creating fake widescreen, are.

"Limitations of the past"? The 1925 version didn't even have sound or Technicolor!

Timothy A Goldich

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I’m guessing here, but the original optical composite would probably not sound nearly as good as what has been created - presumably from earlier gen optical stems. Keep in mind that the original comp track, as printed, would have gone through Academy filter in projection.

That's right. The reason Wizard can be mixed into stereo is that most of the original "stems" or "angles" were preserved there in the vaults all this time. The original mono mix, mixed using primitive mixing boards, is at least one generation removed from the these first-generation sources. Moreover, each stem can be individually sound shaped in a way that the complex mono mix cannot. So, "sadly" we don't get to hear that original muddy mono mix. Instead, we have to "suffer" a sound unimaginably more detailed with far less frequency response distortion and far greater separation, sound stage, bass response and dynamic range.

By all means, the unadulterated original should be preserved for the purists and should have been included. But don't make me have to listen to it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks