What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wild Bunch -- in BD & HD (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I haven't watched the disc for a long time but, going from memory, the images are too brown. I'll have another look one of these days.

I concur. The skin tones are simply not right. It's distracting, frankly.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
I'm assuming you're talking about 15-20 western catalog titles?

Any film that was shot on certain Eastman stocks between 1954 and 1960 (and especially 1959 and 1960) runs the risk of yellow layer failure on the negative according to one of Robert's old Yellow Layer Failure columns at the Digital Bits. So I think it's not just westerns.

Edit: never mind, I see that you're asking about 4K releases. Still, some of Robert's old columns are interesting reads so I'll just leave it there.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Any film that was shot on certain Eastman stocks between 1954 and 1960 (and especially 1959 and 1960) runs the risk of yellow layer failure on the negative according to one of Robert's old Yellow Layer Failure columns at the Digital Bits. .... Still, some of Robert's old columns are interesting reads so I'll just leave it there.

Thank you Mr. Harris; thank you Digital Bits; and thank you Danny N for reminding us all about these old columns.

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Then of course Vertigo, the biggest yet-to-be fixed example of Yellow dye failure in my mind, and it's spectacular faded end scene. I'd heard of a 60th Anniversary version but haven't seen anything beyond the original Blu ray 'restoration' efforts?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Blu-ray of Vertigo looks very good overall, and I would say it is far away from being the biggest un-fixed example of yellow layer failure. The Man who knew too much on the other hand does need a lot of work.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Then of course Vertigo, the biggest yet-to-be fixed example of Yellow dye failure in my mind, and it's spectacular faded end scene. I'd heard of a 60th Anniversary version but haven't seen anything beyond the original Blu ray 'restoration' efforts?

?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Watched the blu ray today after not seeing the film for many years. My enthusiasm (never very great) for the film has diminished with the passage of time. The beginning and end are energetic but the second act is very lethargic and a half hour could easily be cut. Alas, not a classic western for me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was in the mood for a western last night, so I looked at the Blu-ray of The Wild Bunch, a true classic that's more than stood the test of time, I love it. The Blu-ray is showing its age a bit. I can't put my finger on it, I dunno, too much of both noise reduction & sharpening, & some if it looks a bit brown. I just think it wouldn't get the same great reviews now that it got in 2007, that must be a good thing, it shows how far on standards have come in eight years.

I don't care for the flesh tones -- they seem pasty and brownish to me. That's always the first thing I zone in on when trying to determine if the color of a particular transfer is natural-looking. I look forward eagerly to a 4k.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, it's about time I looked at The Wild Bunch again, a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned (& a really enjoyable one), & considering its age, I don't think the Blu-ray looks too bad. I can really enjoy it, but I'd love a new 4K transfer, not so much for the 4K, more that I would be done from the original negatives, have less sharpening & all the other stuff done then, & have a more organic/natural look.

Let's go!

Real Name
Anand
Yup, it's about time I looked at The Wild Bunch again, a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned (& a really enjoyable one), & considering its age, I don't think the Blu-ray looks too bad. I can really enjoy it, but I'd love a new 4K transfer, not so much for the 4K, more that I would be done from the original negatives, have less sharpening & all the other stuff done then, & have a more organic/natural look.

Let's go!
So do I. Insofar as the Blu-ray may be the best home video source, it is a trusty old product for me. A product I've used several times by now. It's loaded with some nice bonus features, the audio may not be the finest product but it seems relatively faithful to the sound design of the film (in contrast to some 'modernizing' sound mixes), and the video, though flawed in some ways and old, does convey quite a bit of the genius of Ballard and the director Peckinpah in visualizing this film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Blu-ray of Vertigo looks very good overall, and I would say it is far away from being the biggest un-fixed example of yellow layer failure. The Man who knew too much on the other hand does need a lot of work.

Perhaps the reason why the third and final 4K Hitchcock set is taking more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks