1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wild Bunch -- in BD & HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, in defense of Warner Bros. and the Archives, Hell has frozen over time and time again with their catalog releases. You never know...

Spencer Draper likes this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I haven't watched the disc for a long time but, going from memory, the images are too brown. I'll have another look one of these days.

3. Message #123 of 174 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    OliverK

OliverK Producer

That was it, not as bad though as Rio Bravo. In any case Warner could do much better with such an important movie.

4. Paul Willson

Paul Willson Auditioning

Paul Willson
    Given the choice of a remastered Wild Bunch or a blu ray of the Pat Garrett Turner cut with the sound and picture fixed. I'd have to take Pat as I've been waiting for it for 12 years already! In that time I've enjoyed my Wild Bunch blu many times on the projector despite its flaws it sure beat the spots off my original 1997 dvd flipper disc. The random choice of point to flip disc will be forever burned into my memory of the film, not a very natural break point!
    Some new extras for Pat wouldn't go amiss. The dvd ones are so amateurishly shot I have no doubt nepotism was at play in who got the gig to produce those!

5. OliverK

OliverK Producer

THAT would be a really hard decision for me. I am glad that I don't have to make it and I do not envy people at the studios who have a back catalog of thousands of movies from which they can only release a few each year!

PMF and Paul Willson like this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not a fan of Pat Garrett like some of you. I think it's a mediocre film compared to the greatness of The Wild Bunch. As to The Wild Bunch itself, I agree the video presentation could be better, but I'm not as down on it as some of you are and I feel the same way about Rio Bravo. With that said, I wouldn't mind new transfers for The Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo or The Searchers with all three on 4K/UHD disc.

Doug Wallen and dpippel like this.
  7. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I agree. I find Rio Bravo & The Searchers just about unwatchable, whereas it's just the dated transfer on The Wild Bunch that I'd like improved, I can still enjoy it, very much. I do think that The Wild Bunch is far better than Pat Garrett, but I do love that western as well (I'm a huge fan of Westerns & James Coburn). I suppose two cuts complicates things a bit (three if you count the original release version).

8. Message #128 of 174 Jun 28, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I'm not playing the choosing game because, in reality, it's not been put forth to us.
    So, with that said, I'll take The Searchers, Rio Bravo, Pat Garret & Billy the Kid and The Wild Bunch;
    restored, color corrected, re-mastered, intermissions intact and up to everyone's specs, as discussed.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Richard V likes this.
  9. Message #129 of 174 Jun 28, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    No doubts, Robin9, you are not alone. If everything were to remain repeatedly wrong within its color palate, then not a single one of us would touch it with a ten-foot pole, either. On the other hand, I trust that with these dozen passing years that neither Warner's nor WAC wouldn't even be bothered with such an expensive exercise, were they not of the mind to get things up to their current standard of excellence; to which we all have grown to admire and respect.

10. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

One of the first dvd's I bought (a little over 20 years ago I see in my Amazon history). Snapper case, flipper, non-anamorphic NTSC. Talk about mediocre. And I still enjoyed it. We've become the spoiled bunch with all the technological developments in HT.

Richard V likes this.
  11. Message #131 of 174 Jun 28, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Some of us more than others.:)

Tino, OliverK and PMF like this.
  12. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Talk about a trip down memory lane. My first two DVD's ca. March 1999 were The Wild Bunch flipper in the snapper case and The Good The Bad and The Ugly. They wiped the floor with my previous S-VHS recordings on my brand new 450 lumen SVGA projector.

We have come a long way since then to where we can now create an experience that in many aspects of the picture and sound quality surpasses a top notch presentation of a brand new print at a movie premiere except of course for the size of the screen.

PMF likes this.
  13. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    One of my greatest regrets is that there seems to be no cross fertilisation between Warner Home Entertainment and Warner Archives. Before Warner Archive took over the Blu-ray program, Warner's standards were not consistently high, with several films released on Blu-ray disc in severely sub-standard quality - Rio Bravo being the prime example. It is only since Warner Archive were given the monopoly that standards have reached almost legendary quality. Sadly, Warner Archive either can not or will not re-do titles released by Warner Home Entertainment. The second iteration of Rio Bravo had the same lousy, fifth-rate transfer as the first!

PMF likes this.
  14. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Nothing is as bad as the Blu-ray transfer of Rio Bravo! This infuriates me because Rio Bravo is one of my favorite films, one of the ten I would take to that mythical desert island. I really wish I had kept the DVD!

PMF likes this.
  15. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I had another look and indeed it looks really quite brownish and dark, especially in interior scenes and compared to the DVD. Other than that it at least looks like film while for example El Dorado is lacking film like texture due to some kind of filtering algorithm that Paramount must have employed for preparing the Blu-ray together with a bit too much sharpening.

Out of these two I prefer El Bravo as I can add a bit of blue/green to it while slightly flattening the gamma curve and reducing saturation a little bit to make it look rather close to the DVD. It is impossible however to put the filtered detail and textures back into El Dorado which gives it a certain plasticky look and for me invalidates the advantage of a potentially better master.

Compared to these two The Wild Bunch actually looks at least OK - less brown and more detailed than Rio Bravo and no obvious digital manipulation that annoys me so much with El Dorado. Still there is considerable room for improvement so I hope Warner will make this the first Peckinpah to be revisited in the Blu-ray era - it is about time.

PMF likes this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Man, I'm going to have to pull out my discs and watch these great films again as I can't agree with some of the criticism posted recently as it pertains to the extent of the criticism.

AshJW likes this.
  17. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Re-releasing titles that got a bad or mediocre release from Warner Home Entertainment simply does not seem to be something that Warner Archive is supposed to do. On the other hand I am quite sure that if Rio Bravo or The Wild Bunch are redone that work will be done by the same staff that is working on the Archive releases so the same standards should (hopefully) apply.

Paul Willson and PMF like this.
  18. OliverK

OliverK Producer

If you don't adjust the picture and don't sit too close you should be fine with El Dorado and The Wild Bunch, maybe less so with Rio Bravo I'd say as it looks quite dark and brown.

At my seating distance of 2 screen widths or less from the screen the digital tempering in El Dorado is unfortunately rather obvious to me but your mileage may vary. If you want to check that for yourself you can go closer and notice that for the other two you can still watch them at about 1.5 screen widths away from the screen and they still look decent if a bit soft but El Dorado just shows that processed look that may not have been as obvious at a bigger viewing distance.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm not going to view El Dorado as I watched it not too long ago and I don't agree with you at all about that disc.

AshJW likes this.
  20. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I haven't watched Rio Bravo since I got my OLED, so that may be my viewing disc for today. I didn't much care for the way it looked on my plasma, but maybe OLED will bring something else to the table. I'll see.

Robert Crawford likes this.