Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Together agin, for the first time!

Preminger, and Tierney.

And they'd rejoin the future.

But for this 1949 enterprise, things never jelled for me. It's a long way from Laura.

Regardless, the talents brought together here are worth a look, as added to the mix are Jose Ferrer, Charles Bickford and Barbara O'Neil, along with the screenplay by Ben Hecht, and with a score by David Raksin.

Twilight Time's new Blu-ray is a quality affair. Beautifully rendered in black & white by Arthur C. Miller.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Upgrade from DVD - yes

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Yep, always found this one a real let-down after Laura. Being a realist, and not expecting anything to 'be' like Laura, I went into it merely hoping for a really good story expertly told. What I found was a lot of corn and very little substance, with Tierney somehow very artificial this time out. I don't think either she or Preminger were served well by the screenplay. Glad to hear the Blu-ray at least looks good. Still, second-tier Preminger and third-tier Tierney in my opinion. Not good. Worth a glance, but not much else.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film is far from "Laura", but it's not a bad film as indicated by the previous post. It's more of a 3-3.5 film while Laura is a 5 film on a grading system of 1-5 with 5 being the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks