1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Whirlpool - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Together agin, for the first time!

Preminger, and Tierney.

And they'd rejoin the future.

But for this 1949 enterprise, things never jelled for me. It's a long way from Laura.

Regardless, the talents brought together here are worth a look, as added to the mix are Jose Ferrer, Charles Bickford and Barbara O'Neil, along with the screenplay by Ben Hecht, and with a score by David Raksin.

Twilight Time's new Blu-ray is a quality affair. Beautifully rendered in black & white by Arthur C. Miller.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Upgrade from DVD - yes

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Richard M S, B-ROLL and PMF like this.
  2. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    Yep, always found this one a real let-down after Laura. Being a realist, and not expecting anything to 'be' like Laura, I went into it merely hoping for a really good story expertly told. What I found was a lot of corn and very little substance, with Tierney somehow very artificial this time out. I don't think either she or Preminger were served well by the screenplay. Glad to hear the Blu-ray at least looks good. Still, second-tier Preminger and third-tier Tierney in my opinion. Not good. Worth a glance, but not much else.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The film is far from "Laura", but it's not a bad film as indicated by the previous post. It's more of a 3-3.5 film while Laura is a 5 film on a grading system of 1-5 with 5 being the best.

Robin9 likes this.