What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Verdict -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Sidney Lumet's The Verdict, pitting two screen greats, Paul Newman and James Mason against one another as opposing attorneys, is one of the great legal dramas on film.  

Nominated for five Academy Awards, inclusive of Best Picture and Best Actor (both Mr. Newman and Mr. Mason), Best Director and Best Screenplay (David Mamet), The Verdict is a piece of stellar entertainment.

I only wish that Fox agreed.  Apparently they don't feel the film is worth a decent Blu-ray release.

What I'm seeing on screen appears to be from an older master.  Lacking in resolution, shadow detail, and with a fully electronic look, it isn't a release for which anyone could take pride.

Audio is fine as DTS-HD MA 5.1, as well as original monaural.

Great film.  I was looking forward to an equally great presentation on Blu-ray.

Image - 2

Audio - 5

No recommendation from these quarters.

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This doesn't happen very often -- but on those words, I shan't invest any $ in "upgrading". Sorry to hear it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I already bought this title from Foxconnect so I'll see for myself this coming weekend.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Thanks Robert.

I have enjoyed my SD version of this fine film for awile now. No need to update if the studios don't feel
the need to update themselves.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Are there any exclusive extras on the BD? If not, I see no reason to "upgrade". Very disappointing as this was a title I was looking forward to see in the best possible presentation. This is the role for which Newman should have gotten his Oscar.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Very disappointing. I was hoping to do my usual The Verdict/To Kill a Mockingbird double feature in the near future. I guess it'll have to wait.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
PaulDA said:
Are there any exclusive extras on the BD? If not, I see no reason to "upgrade". Very disappointing as this was a title I was looking forward to see in the best possible presentation. This is the role for which Newman should have gotten his Oscar.
Nope, and it loses the photo gallery, the trailers for other Newman films and the booklet...

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Verdict was a knockout in theaters and a knockout on DVD. I had high hopes for the blu-ray.

RAH, didn't Gordon Willis drain the color blue out of the mix? Did he ever discuss his approach to this film with you when you were restoring The Godfather? I remember Willis and Sidney Lumet talking about it in interviews. It looks like no other film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Richard--W said:
The Verdict was a knockout in theaters and a knockout on DVD. I had high hopes for the blu-ray.

RAH, didn't Gordon Willis drain the color blue out of the mix? Did he ever discuss his approach to this film with you when you were restoring The Godfather? I remember Willis and Sidney Lumet talking about it in interviews. It looks like no other film.
I can't imagine why Mr. Willis would take an interest.

RAH

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think what he meant to ask you was did you talk to Andrzej Bartkowiak about the Verdict while you two worked on The Godfather restoration.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Moe Dickstein said:
I think what he meant to ask you was did you talk to Andrzej Bartkowiak about the Verdict while you two worked on The Godfather restoration.
Ah. Now I understand. I didn't recall seeing Andrzej there.

RAH

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
My mistake. This is what happens when too much movie trivia crams the brain. I confused Gordon Willis with Andrzej Bartkowiak.

The statement about blue is correct, however. The director and dp bled blue out of the mix because they were after a certain color pallet that would realize a certain aesthetic. This was widely discussed by them at the time of the film's release. It's one of the things I find most interesting about The Verdict, aside from the fact that it's a remarkable film on every level, and written by my favorite contemporary playwright.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
With some uncredited work by the great Jay Presson Allen as well.Lumet was always good about using color to tell a story, I love how he made an LA neon noir with the underrated "The Morning After".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What a shame. Saw this a few times in the theater when it came out and it has long been one of my favorite Newman films.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Guess I'll to be content with the DVD.

Moe Dickstein said:
With some uncredited work by the great Jay Presson Allen as well.Lumet was always good about using color to tell a story, I love how he made an LA neon noir with the underrated "The Morning After".

I like you description of THE MORNING AFTER as an "L.A. neon noir." I agree it's underrated. The buildings he finds tells the story achitecturally, too, a kind of visual comment on L.A. culture. CHILD'S PLAY (1972), THE OFFENCE (1973) and LOVIN' MOLLY (1974) are underrated Sidney Lumet films as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks