What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Unsinkable Molly Brown -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You probably know where this is going before we even begin.

Why?

Because it's another of those wallet-thinning Warner Archive releases, that are too good to pass up.

Those who appreciate Broadway musicals will know that The Unsinkable Molly Brown, a 1964 M-G-M production, directed by Charles Walters, was a follow-up to The Music Man by Meredith Wilson.

It's a huge, rowdy adventure about Molly Brown, who started life much as Moses did, although he was never a Colorado hillbilly.

Is it one of the best musicals of the 1960s?

Without a doubt.

For those unaware, Molly is played by Debbie Reynolds, and if you want talent that's at once rowdy, gusty and full of life, she's your girl.

Getting back to the new Warner Archive Blu-ray, it is, what they typically are.

Absolutely perfect in every way.

Visually and aurally a treat for the human brain, with perfect color and densities, and a track that beautifully replicates the original magnetics.

Just a terrific film!

Last time I recall seeing it was during it's theatrical run, in magnetic stereo, and I had forgotten that it had an overture.

In typical Warner Archive fashion, so does the new Blu-ray. If this doesn't put a smile on your face...

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Another MGM Musical checked off my bucket list of Blu ray desirables. "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" is one of the most wonderful films of the 1960s for me. It set an attendance record during its run at Radio City Music Hall (6 weeks, IIRC). It's a splendid production with superb performances including Debbie Reynolds' Oscar-nominated turn as the amazing Molly Brown. It's a wonderfully infectious musical presentation, and it introduced the amazing Harve Presnell to the movies in a scintillating debut. Sadly, Presnell was never given the kind of roles he would have gotten in the 1950s, but I'm very grateful for this one! An absolutely splendid movie in ALL respects. I cannot wait to get my Blu ray copy!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Most people probably only know Mr. Presnell as Wade Gustafson.

I only knew him as Leadville Johnny Brown, then later as the baritone on Ormandy's recording of Carmina Burana.....for more years than I care to own up to.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This has some fantastic exterior photography, especially in the early going, that looked great even on the DVD. It may be a little too rowdy for me.:) Not a musical I spin much, but I'm sure it looks and sounds wonderful.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I wish they'd come out with a subscription program. Warner Archives has established enough goodwill for me that I would pre-pay not even knowing what the releases are going to be ( if there was a "discount club" type of pricing program)
That sounds perfect - a Warner Archive "Movie of the Month" Club.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I'm definitely the odd man out here, but I really didn't like this picture. After reading the glowing reviews above, I'm wondering if maybe I should give it another chance? But for now, I'll just quote below from a review I had written earlier, in trying to explain precisely why this film didn't work at all for me:

Hmmm, I can think of a few other titles for this film---how about "The Unwatchable Molly Brown" or "The Unlikeable Molly Brown"? Uh-oh, you can see where this review is going...

As is so often typical of films portraying actual historical characters, any resemblance this film has to reality is strictly coincidental; there isn't much here that has anything to do with the true-life story of Molly Brown. And that's a shame, because her story would make a good biopic; no need to invent so much of the material. That said, the 1960 Broadway musical was a big hit, and it was perhaps inevitable that the show would make its way to Hollywood. Though, I have to wonder why anyone would buy a property and then delete a full two-thirds of the score that made it so successful in the first place, when transferring the story to film.

Now, I do like Debbie Reynolds; she's a capable singer and actress and I've seen her in a few pictures that I've enjoyed very much. Plus, she just seems so darn nice in person! However----while this was one of her favourite roles, I'm sorry to say that I think she is absolutely terrible in this film. Every single scene is played at the top of her lungs to the very back row of the balcony; subtle she isn't. And in the process she reduces Molly to a shrill one-note caricature. I don't think I've ever, in my entire life, seen a major actress in a mainstream motion picture play a role in such an over-the-top, sledgehammer fashion. My mouth was practically hanging open in astonishment as I viewed this picture; I could hardly believe my eyes (or my ears). Yes, I found this film downright painful to watch; I winced my way through it. And even more surprising was the fact that Debbie received an Oscar nomination for her performance---what the heck?!? I'm serious, this was unbelievably bad---and downright annoying.

On the plus side, the male lead had an extraordinarily fine singing voice. And the film featured some strikingly beautiful western scenery in the first portion, and many amazingly opulent period costumes and interiors in the latter part; lovely. (Plus, it's always a kick to recognise the famous "St. Louis street" on the MGM back lot---a few exteriors were shot there.)

But despite the positives, I can't imagine that I'd ever want to watch this picture again, even if a few of the numbers were kind of catchy; it's simply MUCH too over-the-top for my taste.

(Oh, the sequence set on the Titanic, which gave the film its name, only lasts a couple of minutes on-screen. And in fact this picture used black-and-white footage from "A Night to Remember" to depict the ship; they didn't even bother shooting any new footage for the sinking.)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Harve Presnell came along 10 years too late for the movies he'd have been perfect for - strong competition for Howard Keel and Gordon MacRae in the musicals genre.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Debbie Reynolds is effervescent (as usual) in this film but is let down by an unmemorable score. Also the film is a half hour too long. Everybody involved has done much better work elsewhere so I shall pass on the blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Debbie Reynolds is effervescent (as usual) in this film but is let down by an unmemorable score. Also the film is a half hour too long. Everybody involved has done much better work elsewhere so I shall pass on the blu-ray.

I guess your right when "Belly Up To Bar Boys" is the most memorable song, IMHO. But I do enjoy this film for the excitement Miss Reynolds displays.

Reactions: PMF

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I loved seeing this movie's first run at the Ohio Theater in Louisville as a child. My parents liked splashy musicals and widescreen epics, and this one seemed to fit both genres quite well.

Seeing it on TV lessened its impact, and I will admit that Debbie seemed to be cramming her backwoods character down my throat. Close-ups in pan-and-scan transfers probably made it worse.

The movie is not the stage-play, and that is pretty typical with shows of the period. I've seen the play, and it even works well on a small stage thanks to a rollicking score. The film goes more for grandiosity, and I'm eager to experience it again on my 70" UHD set. I am hoping for a nostalgic trip more akin to my original silver screen viewing.

In any case I am happy to throw my dollars at Warner Archive to support their high standard of releases. There are a lot of WA titles on my shelf.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
They gave the Oscar to the wrong musical actress in 1964. Reynolds should have gotten it for Unsinkable Molly Brown and 64's winner Julie Andrews the following year for The Sound Of Music. 65's winner Julie Christie should have gotten it for Away From Her while 2007's winner Marion Cotillard should have ..... oh, this is getting way too complicated!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Julie has always maintained that the Oscar win for "Poppins" was the 'sentimental' vote because she'd been thrown over in favour of Audrey (who wasn't even nominated) in "My Fair Lady". I think she should have won the following year for "Sound of Music", but that doesn't necessarily mean that Debbie would have won for "Molly Brown" by default.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Well, I love me a musical, but I am of the camp that this is not such a great movie. Having said that, there are two numbers I really like, "Belly UP to the Bar" and "He's My Friend". After that there are only 4 songs - 3 with Harve Presnell alone. I like Debbie, but find in the first part she is a little too much, like she is performing on the stage.

I just finished one of her books and some trivia fans of the movie might find interesting...

Charles Walter did not want her in the part and tried to talk her out of it. It was originally going to be Shirley MacLaine, but Hal Wallis would not release her.

Just a few months before filming started Debbie had her second stillborn baby. She says that is why she looks a little "plumper" in the Colorado parts and thinner towards the end - which she says works for the character.

Martita Hunt, who played the Grand Duchess, (Debbie wanted her friend Agnes Moorehead to play the part) liked herself a little nip at lunch. The day they filmed "She's My Friend" sequence she tripped going down the stairs a few times. They finally put a leather harness under her white satin gown, cut a slit for the hook, to which they fastened a guide wire, and lowered her down the stairs (kind of like a marionette). I definitely have to look for that on the Blu-ray.

Finally, the number I like best, "He's My Friend", was almost cut prior to filming. According to Debbie, MGM cut the film's budget by about a million, as Doctor Zhivago was eating up money. They figured this song would take days to shoot so that is what Chuck Walters suggested they cut. Instead, they filmed it all in one day, with more than one camera, as that was all the time they had. Debbie claims it was quite the day, and I can imagine so, seeing with the vigour with which they all dance. As Debbie says, you can see her wobble a bit as she stands up at the end, but there was no time for reshoots.

Musical trivia 101 - I feel like Will Krupp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks