What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Twilight Zone: Season One -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I'm far from a technical expert on these issues. Fullscreen material on my Oppo plays with black side bars which I know can cause the dreaded "burn-in" damage to my TV if I choose to watch without stretching the image for prolonged periods. The two previous players I owned before the Oppo automatically stretched 4:3 material to fill the screen, something I would've preferred the Oppo did. My question is, am I losing any picture information by zooming in? I don't want any part of the image to be cut off, obviously, but I also don't want to risk burning black bars into the sides of my Plasma. By the way, awesome job on Twilight Zone - can't wait for further seasons on Blu.

'

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yes, you will be losing picture by zooming in on the top and bottom.

I have a Plasma tv myself. Usually if I feel like I've watched a film with the black bars on either the top/bottom or a TV show like this for the side bars, usually your TV should be able to handle several hours or so... but I usually use what my TV notes as a anti- retention scroll bar that wipes accros the screen and gets rid of any burn in.

I would just maybe watch something that takes up the full screen image every few hours if you are afraid of bad burn in. Usually does the trick.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes. There were lots of complaints over at blu-ray.com of people who couldn't play certain eps. Many problems were fixed with firmware updates, but it's not clear if all of them were. I'm holding off on buying until it's resolved. Also hoping for a price drop.

Just sold my complete DVD set of TZ to the used bookstore for $40.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh, that's interesting now that you mention it. I'd be curious to know what it brings in for various people. Got to eventually decide what to do with mine. I thought of not cashing in on it at all, since it would make a superb gift for anyone who loves TZ but just isn't into the Blu-ray world yet.

In the meantime, I can hold off on the BLUs as long as necessary till the problems are identified and resolved.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Oh, that's interesting now that you mention it. I'd be curious to know what it brings in for various people. Got to eventually decide what to do with mine. I thought of not cashing in on it at all, since it would make a superb gift for anyone who loves TZ but just isn't into the Blu-ray world yet.

In the meantime, I can hold off on the BLUs as long as necessary till the problems are identified and resolved.
Yeah, I thought about giving it as a gift to my niece who kind of likes TZ. But then I realized my sister would probably not be happy about it. My sister likes TZ too, but she doesn't like clutter and strictly limits their TV. I decided I'd rather corrupt them by getting them a blu-ray player and then showing them one of my eps on blu, when I get it.

I paid $99 for my complete TZ on DVD about 4 year ago. There are still quite a few episodes I never watched again--although I saw most of them 3-4 times back in the 70s.

Since the bookstore will probably try to sell my complete TZ for something like $80 (some discs were a little scratched) $40 seemed like a decent deal. Means I paid $60 for 4 years of good use on it...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
We've been talking about the playback problem on the HTF review thread for this set:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/303895/htf-blu-ray-review-the-twilight-zone-season-1-blu-ray

There's a few of us on the forum who have experienced problems. I updated the firmare on my Sony player so that disc 1 and 4 plays. However, then one episode, Long Live Walter Jameson had freezes and pixellation. At first, I thought it was still a player issue. Then I came to the conclusion that the pixellation was more likely caused by a bad disc. SO I asked Amazon for another copy and this new set is okay so far.

So I really bet for a percentage of people, they have defective sets. I am betting that Image unknowingly are making iffy discs. But that's just a theory on my part. But could explain why some are still having issues after updating firmware.

I took a look at that blu-ray forum and there is a email address to a specific person at Image. So I may send her a note.

Check out the link to the HTF thread on this set above and contribute your experiences there too!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've been problem-free so far, but I've only watched a couple of episodes all the way through. I have both a PS3 and a Samsung BD-C6500, both with the latest firmware. I'm getting kinda paranoid, though.... It's gonna take a while before I (or any of us) can check every episode for potential problems. I'm really hoping it's a firmware problem and not faulty discs....

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another good reason to wait until "The Complete Series" TZ set on Blu-ray down the road, when all these issues are cleared up (and the overall price brings the season prices down within reason).

Originally Posted by PianoPlayer .

Because of the disc-playback problems?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Well, forget what I said earlier. Disc 4 won't load at all in my PS3 (with the latest firmware). I've emailed Amazon. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, I'm pretty f*cking pissed right now. I'm home sick from work, and I was REALLY looking forward to a TZ marathon in high definition.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
This Blu-ray release caused a bit of conundrum for me. I’ve wanted to get into the series for quite some time, but never did. So I thought Season 1 on BD would be the perfect way to start.

I am *immensely* enjoying the series. But my Sony BD player will not play Disc 1 or 4, even after the latest firmware update. I waited around for a few weeks here to see if Image or Sony would do something to address the issue, but I decided that the lack of movement on fixing Season 1, coupled with the iffy prospect of whether a Season 2 set will have similar problems, as well as the fact that the full run of the series would not make it out on BD until sometime later next year (assuming they keep to the same release schedule and release all seasons), all of these factors have led me to go ahead and just get the full series set on DVD. I want to watch the seasons sooner rather than later.

I finally went ahead and shipped my BD set back to Amazon for a refund. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the entire series and hopefully not have to worry about playback issues. If I love the series as much as I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen so far, the BD issue will be fixed at some point and I can get the seasons again. In the meantime, I’ve saved a bit of scratch as well, as the full series cost about what two seasons would cost on BD. I’m not downplaying the BD quality, though. If a playable Season 1 were available to me, or if a playable full series set were available on BD, I’d buy it now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My guess (and it's nothing more than that) is that many players need a new firmware update to play this disc. In other words, the current update isn't current enough to play this disc and people will, unfortunately, have to wait for their player manufacturers to create a new update.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. It’s just a bit of a guessing game, because I don’t know when Sony would or will create the next firmware update for my player, nor do I know if they would address this specific title’s playback issues when designing the firmware update.

I’m skeptical about whether the next firmware update for my player will fix the problem, because the latest firmware for my player is from June, while other Sony models that had their latest firmware updates earlier in the year play the discs in some cases with no problems.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Craig Beam

When does your Disc 4 not play? from the beginning or at a certain point...I just played my Disc 4 through the first episode on my PS3 and it played without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks