What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Trouble with Harry -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We've been lucky with The Trouble with Harry, for as an earlier 5248 production, the fade characteristics so prevalent of later work, hasn't harmed its VistaVision look too badly.

The color have been digitally lifted a bit, and are quite workable.

Blacks have a bit of a tendency toward blue, but once again, the financial expense vs. the difference, would have been hardly seen by the public.

As an overall asset... a bit of a different story, as it deserves some digital magic.

A wonderful, light comedy, overall it looks terrific on Blu-ray.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Recommended.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
One of the titles I look forward to seeing on BD the most. The wonderful fall colors! Pleased to hear it looks good as I like this one very much! So did Hitch.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
The sharpness and colors jumped off the screen over 20 years ago on laserdisc. I can't wait to experience the blu!

Reactions: PMF

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The original dye-transfer prints were a wonder, audiences would simply gasp at the color palette. The LD is not bad but not the same thing. I was in hopes for the Blu-ray.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
mikeyhitchfan said:
One of the titles I look forward to seeing on BD the most. The wonderful fall colors! Pleased to hear it looks good as I like this one very much! So did Hitch.
Agreed! I love the falls colors in this. Plus, the humor is right up my alley :)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
You can actually see horizontal scratches in the VistaVision logo at the beginning of the film. I bring this up not as a criticism, but as an interesting reminder of the horizontal aspect of the VistaVision process.
This looks very, very nice so far.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Trouble With Harry - most of it's very pretty to look at, and most of it's very sharp, but I'd be interested to know what the element was - there's nothing to really complain about, but I kept thinking it could maybe look a bit better. I wonder if Mr. Harris knows if this was transferred from the VistaVision negative. It's pleasing as it is, though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/324719/a-few-words-about-the-trouble-with-harry-in-blu-ray#post_3995863
The Trouble With Harry - most of it's very pretty to look at, and most of it's very sharp, but I'd be interested to know what the element was - there's nothing to really complain about, but I kept thinking it could maybe look a bit better. I wonder if Mr. Harris knows if this was transferred from the VistaVision negative. It's pleasing as it is, though.
8 perf IP.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This was the one film I was most looking forward to besides Vertigo for this box set. IMO This BLU does NOT disappoint yeah it could has been better, but it had a clarity I didn't recall from watching the former DVDs. I always had a fondness since seeing the film nearly 20 years ago for the first time. I just love the tone of the film and the wonderful dialogue. Great character actors that films these days don't have.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Great looking transfer overall, but what's up with Edmund Gwenn at about the 5-minute mark? Something's not properly aligned there.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's in this and other threads many times - it's a registration error that happened in camera - nothing to do with the transfer.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
It's certainly not mentioned in this thread...I read the previous posts (all 11 of them) quite carefully before asking.
Given the appearance of the anomaly, and the fact that it appears only in that one angle on Gwenn (and consistently on that angle), I was pretty sure that it was an on-set issue, but it never hurts to ask...or so I've been told.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Duly noted. It was just easier to ask here than to go rummaging through the other threads.
Honestly, I spend the lion's share of my time at HTF in this particular sub-forum.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this one last night and thought it looked simply splendid. VistaVision certainly could take its bows with this movie.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
In a set with more than a few letdowns, this transfer was one extremely pleasant surprise. This film has always sort of been shortchanged in my book by casual Hitchcock fans who could never quite get with its sense of humor. But I've always loved it, and to see how absolutely gorgeous it looks on BD was a real treat. The autumn foliage practically leaps off the screen. Definitely one of the handful of presentations in the Masterpiece Collection that I'm truly thrilled with.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
I have the Japanese ultimate Hitchcock collection and this is one of my favorite color transfers from that set. I love the film, and the color scheme is just gorgeous. Being born and raised just outside of Burlington, VT, Seeing the beautiful fall landscape of Stowe, VT in the film,(where exteriors were shot)I instantly was like "wait a minute"! "That looks an awful lot like VT! Sure enough. I was pretty amused by it, but it's a really great film. And of course, it has one of Hitchcocks most 'reused' actors Edmund Gwenn who was pitch perfect in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks