What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Town -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For a young guy, he's 39, Ben Affleck has done his time in the industry. With a credit that goes back to 1981, when he was 9, his CV takes off around 1989-92, and never looks back.

He directed his first feature, Gone Baby Gone in 2007, but I believe that many were surprised at precisely how good his second feature, The Town (2010) turned out to be.

This is a taught crime-drama, shot on the streets of his home base, Boston. It's extended cut at 153 minutes is my preferred version over the 125 theatrical, which is also a terrific piece of entertainment.

But I was wondering what he could have up his sleeve regarding an alternate ending to the 153 cut, how drastically it might change the film, and whether it wasn't just another ploy to get the public to buy a few more discs.

I viewed the final fifteen minutes of both cuts last night, and wasn't terribly shocked, knowing that someone was at the helm with a firm hand, that the difference is huge.

Far better, and far less studio-like. This version goes for gritty, and unaffected.

What I don't understand is the huge box for this release, albeit filled with nice things that will delight the major fans of this film. I don't see it serving the general marketplace.

The problem that I'm having with this release is that the new (presumably) director's cut, is a worthwhile project. I just don't see it with all the normal WB bling at a list price of $49.99, streeting at $38.

Placing it in perspective, the big box set of Ben-Hur will run you $49, the non-boxed, $27. To make things even more interesting, the entire 4-disc set of The Godfather(s) is a Gold Box deal today at $25.

I appreciate The Town as a terrific film, and I like what's been done to it in this new incarnation. If it was a normal release of this updated version, at a nominal price, I'd be recommending.

RAH

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm not willing to pay another $38 to see an alternate ending. I have seen the extended cut on the original BD release. I went into it with no expectations and found myself really enjoying it. It was a great movie.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
FYI, Best Buy is offering an exclusive for this in a digibook, like they did with Citizen Kane's Ultimate Edition. It's 29.99.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
If it's like their KANE exclusive, it'll be everything except the physical extras packaged in the box. Though I can't recall if the KANE release had the book attached to the inside of the actual... book... case, thing. Robert, How does it look compared to the previous release? Does each version still have its own separate encode on the disc?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm going to give this film a look-see, as a result of this thread. Gone, Baby Gone was impressive so I expect to find this film just as interesting.. A two-disc edition containing both edits, one per disc, has been released, and the price is quite reasonable: http://www.amazon.com/Town-Two-Disc-Extended-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B002ZG99NG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1329919544&sr=1-1

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Isn't this new box a completely different cut, a third cut of the film?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
MattAlbie60 said:
If it's like their KANE exclusive, it'll be everything except the physical extras packaged in the box. Though I can't recall if the KANE release had the book attached to the inside of the actual... book... case, thing. Robert, How does it look compared to the previous release? Does each version still have its own separate encode on the disc?
Kane's Best Buy exclusive was the first two discs of the Ultimate Edition, minus RKO 281, in a digibook, without all the swag. The book was attached inside. More than likely, the Town's Best Buy exclusive will be the first two discs, minus the DVD of the theatrical cut and minus the swag, inside a digibook.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I really enjoyed The Town in theaters and I'd like to see it again. I haven't seen the extended cut and am intrigued by the alternate ending, but I don't want the extra junk or to pay a high price for it.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
TonyD said:
Isn't this new box a completely different cut, a third cut of the film?
Hmm. I thought I'd read that this release had all three cuts. There goes my hope of selling the old one to help pay for the new.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Matt I remember the same thing. I think it was a press release posted on here

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60

Hmm. I thought I'd read that this release had all three cuts. There goes my hope of selling the old one to help pay for the new.

No, you read correctly. Disc Two of the UCE is the same as the previously-released Blu-ray - literally. This set packages a new Disc One - with the "extended cut with alternate ending" and a new documentary - with the old Blu-ray as Disc Two. It throws in a DVD with the extended cut with alternate ending and all the non-disc-based stuff...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Yes.

But I wouldn't call it completely different. The "original" extended cut and the new one are nearly identical until the end. Here's what I wrote in my review:

"How does the longest version differ from the “shorter extended” cut? They’re mostly the same until the longer one hits the 2:22:08 mark. The main change comes from the lead character’s fate; Doug ends up in a very different place, and that affects other characters in alternate ways as well. Both conclude in moody ways, but one goes darker than the other. I’m not sure either is truly superior – both work – so it’s interesting to see another path the flick could’ve taken,

Note that I said the two are mostly the same until the 2:22ish mark. That’s because around 1:48, the longer extended adds a short scene. It lasts about 30 seconds and shows more of characters who will become more prominent in the alternate ending. It’s not a crucial sequence, but it contributes a bit more depth."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Yes.

But I wouldn't call it completely different. The "original" extended cut and the new one are nearly identical until the end. Here's what I wrote in my review:

"How does the longest version differ from the “shorter extended” cut? They’re mostly the same until the longer one hits the 2:22:08 mark. The main change comes from the lead character’s fate; Doug ends up in a very different place, and that affects other characters in alternate ways as well. Both conclude in moody ways, but one goes darker than the other. I’m not sure either is truly superior – both work – so it’s interesting to see another path the flick could’ve taken,

Note that I said the two are mostly the same until the 2:22ish mark. That’s because around 1:48, the longer extended adds a short scene. It lasts about 30 seconds and shows more of characters who will become more prominent in the alternate ending. It’s not a crucial sequence, but it contributes a bit more depth."

jaussie

Auditioning
Real Name
where to buy dvd movies online
I bought it for my husband for Christmas and he did not like it, but my son said it was a good movie. So it just all depends on the person. The preview of the movie looked like it would be a good movie and that is why I bought it. Again it just all depends on the person. I have not watched it yet.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by jaussie

I bought it for my husband for Christmas and he did not like it, but my son said it was a good movie. So it just all depends on the person. The preview of the movie looked like it would be a good movie and that is why I bought it. Again it just all depends on the person. I have not watched it yet.
Its a great heist movie. If you liked Heat you will like it.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I have a standing "No Box-O-Junk" policy so I guess that only leaves that swag-less Best Buy version which is still a bit pricy.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had a five dollar reward certificate at Best Buy and picked up their version without all the "junk." I watch the extended cut for the first time tonight and while I liked parts of it and thought some of it added to the film, I also found a lot of it superfluous. Based on his commentary it sounds like Affleck prefers the original ending and I do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks