What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Titfield Thunderbolt - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unlike here in the Colonies, three-strip Technicolor was in relatively short supply in the UK in the early days, even though it is generally acknowledged that some of the finest three-strip work came from Technicolor London, via the Powell-Pressburger entity, The Archers.

When one thinks of UK Technicolor, beyond the obvious Archers titles, such as The Red Shoes, Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus, Tales of Hoffman, et al, one must take a good look to find those of great importance and beauty.

Early on, the great Freddie Young, with William Skall, shot Victoria the Great in 1937, along with Wings of the Morning.

1938 saw The Divorce of Lady X, The Drum (Drums), and Sixty Glorious Years (Young again).

1939, one of the greatest years for the process - The Four Feathers, The Mikado, Over the Moon.

1940 - The Thief of Bagdad (completed in Hollywood because of the war).

The war brought things to a veritable halt, with several UK productions either filmed or completed in Hollywood.

The UK productions that continued were...

1943 - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (if you don't have a copy, grab one from Criterion).

1944 - The David Lean directed, This Happy Breed.

1945 - Lean, once again, with Blithe Spirit, as well as Caesar and Cleopatra, directed by Gabriel Pascal.

Post-war, things began to move forward.

1946 - The Laughing Lady, London Town, A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven), Men of Two Worlds.

1947 - Black Narcissus, Blanche Fury, An Ideal Husband.

1948 - Bonnie Prince Charlie, The Red Shoes, Scott of the Antarctic.

1949 - The Blue Lagoon (gorgeous Technicolor, shot by Geoffrey Unsworth), Maytime in Mayfair, Saraband for Dead Lovers, Under Capricorn.

1950 - The Elusive (Fighting) Pimpernel, Treasure Island, Gone to Earth (The Wild Heart).

1951 - The African Queen, I'll Never Forget You (sequences), The Magic Box, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, Tales of Hoffman, Where No Vultures Fly (Ivory Hunter).

1952 - The Importance of Being Ernest, Ivanhoe, Moulin Rouge, The Quiet Man (exteriors), Saturday Island, The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men.

1953 - The Master of Ballantrae, Gilbert and Sullivan, The Titfield Thunderbolt.

1955 - The Ladykillers

Going through the list, which I do not set forth as complete, the point should be made that UK productions weren't particularly common.

The Titfield Thunderbolt, produced at the end of the three-strip era, was the first for Ealing, and is the subject of these few words.

A delightful film, and typically British in every aspect, about the townspeople of Titfield protecting the coming closure of a rail branch line.

Titfield looks quite nice on Film Movement's new Blu-ray, but isn't what it might be. Presumably produced from an extant dupe, and not the original three-strip, one runs into the vagaries of color. Generally, things look quite nice, while at certain points the entire image takes on a bit of a plus yellow look, which is correctable.

Registration is what it is, which is often a bit out, as the element appears to be an older Eastman dupe.

It's a film that deserves a proper digital recombine, but that shouldn't be the problem of a licensee. It's Canal that should see to it.

One other small problem seems to be in place, which is slight off-sync, presumably correctible on players if one finds it troublesome.

All in all, I'm pleased to finally have Titfield on a domestic Blu-ray, although knowing what the film could look like, I long for the hanging gardens of Cordoba...

Hats off to Film Movement for bringing UK treasures to the Colonies.

Image - 3.25

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I love this film and have the UK Blu by Studio Canal, where the yellow bias is noticeable. Thankfully, the delightful dottiness of the movie itself and the otherwise rich visuals more than compensate for its ‘vagaries of color’.

Thank you for that informative chronology of British three-strip productions. The Network label in the UK has released a good few of the films you noted on Blu-ray with reasonable results - including the Freddie Young Queen Victoria films.

There tends to be less mention of Network on these boards than other UK mainstays such as BFI, Eureka and more recently Indicator; however Network’s been around forever and provides a rich catalogue of British productions, both film and TV.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
My favorite Ealing film and the first one I saw when it was shown on my local PBS station in the late 1970's. It looks the same compared to my UK disc but the new release comes with a nice booklet.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I live in the U.S.. Despite the existence of (as obviously discussed here) a Region A Blu-ray release of the restored film, and because I'm region--free, I have opted for the UK StudioCanal version as it contains a bonus feature not available on the North American edition, and esp. because it (supposedly) has SDH subtitles which the N. American version does Not.. Subtitles are of foremost importance to me, being very much a member of the hearing-impaired community.
Unfortnately, for some reason, the subtitles on my copy of the disc will not work. Ive tried it on several players with same result. Was wondering (since I've seen no mention in any thread here or elsewhere of a recalled--due--to--manufacture--error--version of the StudioCanal release, nor of any other owners of the disc having experienced the same issue), if anyone knows of a possible reason ---perhaps a "glitch in translation"? --- why the subtitles might not work on my region-free player (this assumes my TV is not the culprit)??

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I live in the U.S.. Despite the existence of (as obviously discussed here) a Region A Blu-ray release of the restored film, and because I'm region--free, I have opted for the UK StudioCanal version as it contains a bonus feature not available on the North American edition, and esp. because it (supposedly) has SDH subtitles which the N. American version does Not.. Subtitles are of foremost importance to me, being very much a member of the hearing-impaired community.
Unfortnately, for some reason, the subtitles on my copy of the disc will not work. Ive tried it on several players with same result. Was wondering (since I've seen no mention in any thread here or elsewhere of a recalled--due--to--manufacture--error--version of the StudioCanal release, nor of any other owners of the disc having experienced the same issue), if anyone knows of a possible reason ---perhaps a "glitch in translation"? --- why the subtitles might not work on my region-free player (this assumes my TV is not the culprit)??
Presume you’ve checked the parameters for location of titles in your player set-up? Do all other titled discs play properly?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the UK release and played the movie and on my remote i pressed subtitles and it worked on my player seeing them. Also you can turn on the subtitles on the menu section under setup. Great film and one of my favorites from Ealing.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Robert. Nice to have that list of UK Technicolor movies. I have a book about the use of the process there (COLOUR FILMS IN BRITAIN by Sarah Street). Interestingly, the unpopular Natalie Kalmus was "deported" there to cause less stress on Hollywood sets. I don't think film-makers like Powell and Pressburger paid her too much heed
I believe VICTORIA THE GREAT was shot in b&w but has a Technicolor finale The sort-of sequel was done fully in colour, SIXTY GLORIOUS YEARS. I believe they combined the two films for reissue and harmed the original negatives. This had the most impact on the colour negatives and the recent blu ray has corrected the dulling down of the colours somewhat
I have the UK edition of TITFIELD on blu ray and I am guessing it's from the same HD master. Clever Ealing comedy with a priceless British cast.
On a completely different note, is there any sign of PORGY AND BESS being issued on disc since it was added to the National Registry in the USA? Would that have necessitated some kind of restoration? Does anyone have the rights since the Gershwin estate finally lightened up? The pirate copies are horrible and taken from the shortened, general release version, which was not the cut shown here on Australian TV in 1974, its sole broadcast. I have read on this forum that the negatives were given some level of restoration by Columbia late last century. Another missing musical in 3-strip Technicolor shot in England is WHERE'S CHARLEY?, which I am assuming was restored when the other Warner titles were restored by Ted Turner. Again, supposedly now able to be released on disc, but no word about that from anyone.....

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I have the UK release and played the movie and on my remote i pressed subtitles and it worked on my player seeing them. Also you can turn on the subtitles on the menu section under setup. Great film and one of my favorites from Ealing.
I agree about the film. Unfortunately it seems as if my copy missed the "subtitles installer" on its way down the 'assembly line'.. That, or it's an issue unique to region-free players I wouldn't know about. I'd try it again in the other players but have since sold them (needed some quick cash at the time) & am down to just the one at the moment. Besides the subtitles issue, the disc's Main Menu --- which, as you would know, contains a "train-puffing-smoke" effect that repeatedly makes the screen appear to black out for a millisecond --- frequently locks up on me (not as a result of the aforemn'd effect, I don't think, but who knows).. Have tried other titles but remain unsure if its the disc menu or the machine.. I will grant you almost ever since I bought this player (a "customized" Sony, purchased from 220Electronics) it's had sporadic weird problems (freezing up, discs not playing that should be playing, refusing to power--on etc).

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Well, I bought another copy of the UK Blu-Ray to see if lightning would strike twice or not. It did. Again, no subtitles. (English HOH is listed in the options but no subtitles will display).. So either my player is just not displaying/decoding them or some copies (2 or which would be in my possession) have a manufacturing error.. FTR, I own a fair number of other Region B/free StudioCanal Blu-rays and the subtitles work just fine on all of them.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Unlike here in the Colonies, three-strip Technicolor was in relatively short supply in the UK in the early days, even though it is generally acknowledged that some of the finest three-strip work came from Technicolor London, via the Powell-Pressburger entity, The Archers.

When one thinks of UK Technicolor, beyond the obvious Archers titles, such as The Red Shoes, Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus, Tales of Hoffman, et al, one must take a good look to find those of great importance and beauty.

Early on, the great Freddie Young, with William Skall, shot Victoria the Great in 1937, along with Wings of the Morning.

1938 saw The Divorce of Lady X, The Drum (Drums), and Sixty Glorious Years (Young again).

1939, one of the greatest years for the process - The Four Feathers, The Mikado, Over the Moon.

1940 - The Thief of Bagdad (completed in Hollywood because of the war).

The war brought things to a veritable halt, with several UK productions either filmed or completed in Hollywood.

The UK productions that continued were...

1943 - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (if you don't have a copy, grab one from Criterion).

1944 - The David Lean directed, This Happy Breed.

1945 - Lean, once again, with Blithe Spirit, as well as Caesar and Cleopatra, directed by Gabriel Pascal.

Post-war, things began to move forward.

1946 - The Laughing Lady, London Town, A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven), Men of Two Worlds.

1947 - Black Narcissus, Blanche Fury, An Ideal Husband.

1948 - Bonnie Prince Charlie, The Red Shoes, Scott of the Antarctic.

1949 - The Blue Lagoon (gorgeous Technicolor, shot by Geoffrey Unsworth), Maytime in Mayfair, Saraband for Dead Lovers, Under Capricorn.

1950 - The Elusive (Fighting) Pimpernel, Treasure Island, Gone to Earth (The Wild Heart).

1951 - The African Queen, I'll Never Forget You (sequences), The Magic Box, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, Tales of Hoffman, Where No Vultures Fly (Ivory Hunter).

1952 - The Importance of Being Ernest, Ivanhoe, Moulin Rouge, The Quiet Man (exteriors), Saturday Island, The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men.

1953 - The Master of Ballantrae, Gilbert and Sullivan, The Titfield Thunderbolt.

1955 - The Ladykillers

Going through the list, which I do not set forth as complete, the point should be made that UK productions weren't particularly common.

The Titfield Thunderbolt, produced at the end of the three-strip era, was the first for Ealing, and is the subject of these few words.

A delightful film, and typically British in every aspect, about the townspeople of Titfield protecting the coming closure of a rail branch line.

Titfield looks quite nice on Film Movement's new Blu-ray, but isn't what it might be. Presumably produced from an extant dupe, and not the original three-strip, one runs into the vagaries of color. Generally, things look quite nice, while at certain points the entire image takes on a bit of a plus yellow look, which is correctable.

Registration is what it is, which is often a bit out, as the element appears to be an older Eastman dupe.

It's a film that deserves a proper digital recombine, but that shouldn't be the problem of a licensee. It's Canal that should see to it.

One other small problem seems to be in place, which is slight off-sync, presumably correctible on players if one finds it troublesome.

All in all, I'm pleased to finally have Titfield on a domestic Blu-ray, although knowing what the film could look like, I long for the hanging gardens of Cordoba...

Hats off to Film Movement for bringing UK treasures to the Colonies.

Image - 3.25

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH
I have always loved the quirkiness of the British mindset. Ans a big fan of many of the Powell Pressberger productions The Red Shoes, Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus, Tales of Hoffman. My introduction to the Ealing Studios was a BD box set that included the Titfield Thunderbolt, The Maggie, Passage to Pimlico and the wonderful Whiskey Galore, of which I see there was a more modern remake.

I have added so many to my collection, that are mentioned here. I did want to mention that Studio Canal recently released a very nice BD edition of an early Stewart Granger film Saraband for Dead Lovers. A big improvment over the older dvd. Thanks RAH for talking about these wonderful films.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Well, I bought another copy of the UK Blu-Ray to see if lightning would strike twice or not. It did. Again, no subtitles. (English HOH is listed in the options but no subtitles will display).. So either my player is just not displaying/decoding them or some copies (2 or which would be in my possession) have a manufacturing error.. FTR, I own a fair number of other Region B/free StudioCanal Blu-rays and the subtitles work just fine on all of them.
Sounds like it could be a player issue? I have owned numerous Region 'A' and Region 'B' bluray disc players over the years and would highly recommend next time, in your case, to buy a dedicated Region 'B' disc player and simply use a 'step up' transformer to deal with the different voltage issues (120-140v in the US and 220-240v for UK). I say this as you will avoid any playback issues as seem to eventually occur with so called 'modded' disc players. Just my 2 cents.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I love this film and have the UK Blu by Studio Canal, where the yellow bias is noticeable. Thankfully, the delightful dottiness of the movie itself and the otherwise rich visuals more than compensate for its ‘vagaries of color’.

Thank you for that informative chronology of British three-strip productions. The Network label in the UK has released a good few of the films you noted on Blu-ray with reasonable results - including the Freddie Young Queen Victoria films.

There tends to be less mention of Network on these boards than other UK mainstays such as BFI, Eureka and more recently Indicator; however Network’s been around forever and provides a rich catalogue of British productions, both film and TV.
You are right, Network is a wonderful source for many TV series. One rare series, no longer in print is the 60s Adam Adamant Lives!! IT's a box set of all know episodes, and all though incomplete is much better than none!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks