1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Tingler & Strait-Jacket -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    So apparently those involved are just too lazy to do it right.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  2. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    I'm assuming there isn't another earlier BD release of The Tingler. I received a notice from the Blu Ray Forum that is was ready for pre-order, which I did and about two weeks later I received the BD. If the one I have is the newest release, the 16mm footage was used for the color sequences.

3. Message #43 of 69 Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    What part of 35mm doesn't exist do people not understand? If they had it, they'd use it. Internet forums are internet forums. Blu-ray companies do the best they can. If it was easy, they'd do it.

4. Henry Gondorff

Henry Gondorff Stunt Coordinator

Bill
    Even if it does exist in 35mm, they apparently didn't or couldn't get it. The 16mm print they used wasn't even a color version, maybe from a source made for tv release years ago that they didn't go to the expense of printing and inserting the color footage. The dvd (and apparently the blu-ray) has the blood red added by digital colorization.

I remember seeing it a few times in my neighborhood theater when new. When that scene came on, it was obviously color stock. The whole frame had a yellowish tinge.

There have been theories on how they did this. To me, it looked like the color was matted or rotoscoped. Others have claimed that the set (and Judith Evelyn!) were painted shades of gray, the liquid was red and it was shot on color neg.

5. Trancas

Trancas Stunt Coordinator

Eric
    That sounds like a wonderful way to get a bizarre effect!

6. Message #46 of 69 Aug 20, 2018
    Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Take 3, just for you.

35mm does exist on that sequence.

In fact, there are two known copies.

7. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Some of us do actually pay attention.
    Bob, I swear you have the patience of a saint.

Mark-W, Rob W, Charles Smith and 5 others like this.
  8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    Thanks, John.

Standby, I may have just found a third copy of that sequence in 35mm. I'm waiting on confirmation...

Mark-W, bgart13, B-ROLL and 5 others like this.
  9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    So it seems like there are multiple options for doing this right if anyone wants to expend a minimal amount of effort. I'll pass on this release until it's fixed. I have the DVD; that's sufficient for now.

DFurr, GregK, RBailey and 2 others like this.
  10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    I agree, Malcolm.

16mm dupe footage for the color insert and no surround channel audio for the "Tingler is loose" sequence?

Perhaps a licensor in the UK will get it right!

Mark-W, JohnMor, Todd Mattraw and 7 others like this.
  11. Message #51 of 69 Aug 20, 2018
    ThadK

ThadK Second Unit

Thanks for lending your expertise, Bob. As everyone knows, bigshot is known for spreading misinformation even when countered with cold-hard facts, so I applaud you for having the patience to put a stop to it. Not much of a reward there other than the thanks of people who actually care. Sucks that this release couldn't have used any of the 35mm elements. Were these prints inaccessible, or did they even try?

12. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    I sent a note to Powerhouse/Indicator about this.
    I hope others will advise Powerhouse as well so that we can try to get the best source for The Tingler.

Mark Cappelletty, bgart13 and ahollis like this.
  13. Henry Gondorff

Henry Gondorff Stunt Coordinator

Bill
    Is there no surround effect on the Blu Ray? The dvd had it. The Dolby Pro Logic switched the surrounds on during the "Ladies and gentlemen, the tingler is loose in this theatre and if you don't scream it may kill you, so scream, scream for your lives!" sequence, and to very good effect.

In fact, it's applied twice, again when Price announces "You can stop screaming now. We will now resume the showing of the picture." (I've had to make that announcement myself at some of my home movie nights.)

aPhil and davidmatychuk like this.
  14. mikel77

mikel77 Auditioning

michael

15. mikel77

mikel77 Auditioning

michael
    I have comments to make both on the Tingler and 'I saw what you Did'. I saw them both-from a 10 year olds perspective in 1960, when I saw the Tingler at the Squire Theatre in Great Neck, NY, when the Tingler ends up in the projection booth of the movie theatre that you're watching on screen, and you see it on the screen, they turned off the movie in the theatre i was in and the lights came up and someone screamed 'The Tingler is in the theatre' I was in an aisle seat alone and jumped out and looked under my seat and RAN OUT of the theatre-yes, RAN-as i was in the lobby running i turned to my right and a few other kids were running side by side by me, i turned around and noticed more and more kids running out. It must have been some sight seeing a bunch of kids running out of the theatre that afternoon.
    In, i think '65, when I Saw What you Did was playing at the Playhouse Theatre (across the street from the Squire), Joan Crawford and one of the teen gals from the film were making a bus tour of the theatres and they came to the Playhouse. Because of an incident i created (a strike against the theatres for not allowing kids under 16 to sit in the center of the theatre. I got petitions signed and struck the theatre and won), the manager gave me the privilege of giving a bouquet of roses to Ms. Crawford as she came off the bus.
    I have the original DVD release of the Tingler, I am just wondering if the blu-ray is significant enough to buy again-any new features that weren't on the original release?

16. zoetmb

zoetmb Second Unit

Martin Brooks
    When I was a kid, the RKO in my neighborhood (where I saw The Tingler) had a matron who watched the kids. She was a heavy-set white haired lady who was dressed like a nurse. I must have gone to the movies even more than I recollect because I can still remember exactly what she looked like. I don't remember at what age they started making me pay the adult price (it was probably 12 or 13), but once they did so I refused to sit in the kids' section and I got into a big fight with them. I said, "either charge me the children's price or I'm sitting where I feel like." They finally relented.

JohnMor likes this.
  17. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Thanks for the first view Tingler stories, michael and Martin. I can remember the theater and being scared by the horrible spine thing and that's about it.

18. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    I saw every Castle gimmick film in a theater during its original release. HOMICIDAL was the funniest gimmick (Coward's Corner with a yellow light in the back of the theater; Emergo, sent me under my theater seat; but nothing was more exciting than THE TINGLER. People, literally, screaming their heads off in the packed movie theater. So exciting, and so much fun. I went three times, and never got a buzzer seat.

19. brap

brap Stunt Coordinator

Alisdair Edwards
    I am gonna play it simple when it comes to watching it with my kids with well placed cell phones on vibrate behind the blanket on the couch all called at the right time. Worth the cost of upcoming years of therapy.

B-ROLL, ahollis and Josh Steinberg like this.
  20. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I was delighted to receive "Strait Jacket" from Shout yesterday. It's a terrific presentation.

Mark-W likes this.