What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To re-visit Norman Jewison's 1968, The Thomas Crown Affair is to enter the cinematic twilight zone, taking us back to the late swinging '60s, and all that went with the concepts.

Multiple screen opticals, and the look and textures of the time, are the overriding techniques of this wonderful Steve McQueen cat & mouse, police procedural, thriller.

Add in romance with star insurance investigator, Faye Dunaway, and you've got the idea.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray generally looks superb, and is only let down occasionally by the master supplied, when chroma becomes a bit heavy.

Audio, in two-channel monaural, works fine, with the exception of a few areas of over-modulation. Nothing problematic.

For those who have never experienced the film, or have only seen the re-make, here's one worth your time and investment. Released just prior to Bullitt, which is considered quintessential McQueen.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Definitely

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am a fan of McQueen, but for some reason have never seen this film -- only the remake. I didn't realize this was being released by Kino Lorber. This appears to be the perfect opportunity to finally rectify the situation and add the film to my collection. Thanks for the few words, and the heads up, Robert!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
McQueen & Dunaway are great in this film and i love the ending which is a surprise to first time viewers. Bought the first MGM blu-ray release so this film is worth double dipping for a better image.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
To re-visit Norman Jewison's 1968, The Thomas Crown Affair is to enter the cinematic twilight zone, taking us back to the late swinging '60s, and all that went with the concepts.

Multiple screen opticals, and the look and textures of the time, are the overriding techniques of this wonderful Steve McQueen cat & mouse, police procedural, thriller.

Add in romance with star insurance investigator, Faye Dunaway, and you've got the idea.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray generally looks superb, and is only let down occasionally by the master supplied, when chroma becomes a bit heavy.

Audio, in two-channel monaural, works fine, with the exception of a few areas of over-modulation. Nothing problematic.

For those who have never experienced the film, or have only seen the re-make, here's one worth your time and investment. Released just prior to Bullitt, which is considered quintessential McQueen.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Definitely

Recommended

RAH
Upgrade from DVD - definitely .......but is it an upgrade from existing BLURAY picture quality ????

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm curious if this is a significant update from the current bluray too. This is the only McQueen I have (DVD) and Amazon has the box set (Great Escape / Magnificent Seven / TCA / Sand Pebbles) for $12 more than this 50th anniversary edition.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's supposed to be from a new 4K scan, so it should be an improvement over the old disc. This is one of those rare occasions where I actually prefer the remake to the original, so there's not enough of an incentive to upgrade for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's supposed to be from a new 4K scan, so it should be an improvement over the old disc. This is one of those rare occasions where I actually prefer the remake to the original, so there's not enough of an incentive to upgrade for me.
I like the remake, but I like the original more as I think Steve and Faye had better screen chemistry. Furthermore, I like the bank heists more with Crown pulling the strings.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I like the remake, but I like the original more as I think Steve and Faye had better screen chemistry. Furthermore, I like the bank heists more with Crown pulling the strings.
yes I agree ..and when the movie was released it was a huge success world wide and no actor will ever be a Steve McQueen again and the Chess game in the movie with Michel Legrand's music is one of cinemas Greatest Scenes ...surely ???

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The picture I always liked to pair this with as a double feature is Blow-Up for a real trip back to 1960s style fimmaking. This is probably what I will pair this with again when I get around to watching this new disc. The Criterion Blow-Up should be fantastic with this.

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
A very petty question...what version of the United Artists credit is used? In the early 00's there was one with a little crooning music (on the DVD) that was the same pitch as the opening credit music ("The Windmills of my Mind") so that was cool.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I could have sworn I had the Blu-ray, but when I went looking tonight, all I could turn up was the DVD, and I watched it (even without anamorphic enhancement). I hadn't seen this version in awhile, and I did enjoy their real life chess game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks