What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thing from Another World -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
speaking of the score to The Thing From Another World, Film Score Monthly (as I am sure many of you know) released Tiomkins' personal acetates of the entire original soundtrack on CD. A few are even in stereo, and the fidelity is not bad at all. It's great to hear the stuff that was buried under dialog too. Tiomkin was harmonically the most complex (just try singin' some of his melodies) of the great Hollywood movie composers, (Steiner, Rosza, Hermann, Bernstein, Newman etc.) and this is considered a very difficult one to perform as per musical directors of other re-recorded.Suites of it.. I also like to A/B it with Hermanns' The Day The Earth Stood Still, another classic and totally different...If you don't have it, Highly Recommended!!!
Remember the "Classic Movie Score" series the National Philharmonic did on RCA back in the day (all out on CD at one point, don't know about now)? The last one had a suite from "The Thing."

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Remember the "Classic Movie Score" series the National Philharmonic did on RCA back in the day (all out on CD at one point, don't know about now)? The last one had a suite from "The Thing."

I've owned that one since its original appearance on vinyl, along with the rest of the series. A highly prized part of my collection.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Is the iTunes version the same as the new Blu-ray
Nope. That's an old broadcast HD transfer reformatted for widescreen. George Feltenstein refers to it as a "one-light transfer" which means that no scene-by-scene corrections were done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks