1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thin Man - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

My copy of The Thin Man and Gaslight arrived yesterday. Way faster then Best Buy had estimated, which was supposed to be next week, midweek. I was surprised. And I’m wondering what it is with Amazon with Warner.

PMF likes this.
  2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Generally I've found BBY estimates tend to be extremely conservative and things usually arrive well before they predict -- at least for non preorders.

Hard to know what's the deal with Amazon and the Allied Vaughn discs (WAC, SOny and Univeral MOD) -- I could guess. Regular WHV releases aren't nearly as affected though there are still some issues. Given Amazon and Warners on-again/off-again issues which seem to flare up every couple years which seem to mirror Disney in some ways (except Disney appears to not be playing AMazon's game at all) you'd have to think it a lot of the same issues that have plagued them before. Amazon seems to want a substantially bigger cut of the pie than the sale than distribution deals the company has with every other retailer so they make more per item selling for the same price as the other stores.

PMF likes this.
  3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks David, I did wonder if there was some kind of Disney-like situation. I go to Best Buy now for Disney titles now and will go more for hard to get Warner’s now.

4. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

This is getting ridiculous. I just checked on my Amazon order and it now says "Arriving Sep 7 - Sep 20".
    Ordered on July 17, 2019, so it may be two months or more before it gets in my hands.

When it comes to Disney and Warner Archive titles, Amazon is Heinz 57:

B-ROLL and Jack K like this.
  5. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    are you looking at your order delivery? or the product listing?

My order still says Expected by Aug 28 . The product listing says Sept 8-21, which would be for brand new orders.

6. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Amazon_Thin_Man.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My order from Deep Discount is currently in transit.

8. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    My order from WAC arrived exactly on release date. And I celebrated with a martini.

Jack K and JohnMor like this.
  9. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    It’s interning that people post how much they they saved by ordering it from another company, then complain it hasn’t arrive.

Jack K and Robert Harris like this.
  10. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor
    Supporter

I also ordered from Deep Discount, on Monday night, for $15, and got it today. Tell Amazon to get bent.

Jack K likes this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    As much as I want the forum to benefit financially from Amazon orders, it's not a secret that Warner and Disney have been in a dispute with Amazon for what seems like forever. Knowing that information while still ordering from Amazon at a good price point, you just have to realize your order is going be delayed and any amount of complaining on this forum isn't going to change that as it's been a reality for a long time.

With that said, one of the reasons why this forum exists is for people to complain about such things.:)

battlebeast likes this.
  12. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

As well as complaints complaining about the complainers. :)

Like I posted earlier, I am well prepared to wait, but this was the first time I got a series of change of dates from them. They really must have a lousy relationship with WB.

13. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    “I’m sick and tired of people being sick and tired of people who are sick and tired!”

B-ROLL, ahollis and Rodney like this.
  14. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just checked their website, and it's $19.35.

15. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I just think it's ridiculous that people seem to ONLY blame Amazon for this pain. Warner is just as guilty of not caring about customers getting their product in a timely manner through the world's largest online retailer. They're both fucking the consumer over because they're too busy arguing about the size of their dicks.

I haven't used Amazon to get the Warner titles that I really want but there are also multiple Warner titles I just didn't want ENOUGH to put up with higher prices and shipping costs, so both of them have lost out on some of my dollars (not that they both don't already get enough!)

I've had it with both of them.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Deep Discount runs coupons almost every week.

17. Message #157 of 241 Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    They blame Amazon because Warner apparently doesn't have major in-stock issues with any other retailer. Amazon's reputation for playing hard ball with suppliers is well known and since they're the big kid on the block, people naturally paint them as the bad guy. Similar to Disney.

B-ROLL, Adam Lenhardt and Conrad_SSS like this.
  18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The impression I get is that WAC can't make money at the terms that Amazon is seeking. It makes perfect sense to me that WAC prioritizes the sellers it has a good relationship with over the sellers it has a poor relationship with.

That being said, I'm keeping my Amazon preorder for this out of a morbid curiosity of just how long it will take to arrive. I definitely won't be ordering any WAC titles from Amazon in the future.

Robert Harris likes this.
  19. Message #159 of 241 Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Where does THAT impression come from? Has there been official word from Warner stating that they can't afford to sell on Amazon? I know they've been feuding over contract terms (since 2014 in one regard or the other!) but to think Amazon is insisting the they take a loss on each unit sold is, with all due respect, senseless.

At the beginning of the year, there was an issue with Warner product disappearing from the Amazon Prime streaming service for about three months or so. That wasn't related to cost to produce, it was related to two behemoths more concerned about getting what they want than servicing their consumers. First law of retail is that you can't sell what you don't have and the absence of product (whether physical or digital) is Warner's attempt to play hardball during negotiations. In this case, punishing Amazon (by making product available everywhere ELSE) punishes us. Warner is no innocent victim here, neither of them is.

20. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I use Amazon for it convenience and low prices. As expected, I had to wait some time for the Popeye blu-rays as well as "The Thin Man," but I have such a big backlog of movies to watch on blu-ray, dvd, and dvr that I don't really mind the wait all that much. I'm not saying the situation is ideal, but the matter isn't high on my irritation list. Oddly enough, the "Footlight Parade" blu-ray arrived within a week of its release.