1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Thin Man - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I gave up on Amazon for WAC titles seven months ago.

However for all the rest, I go through HTF postings for Pre-orders with Amazon.

Jack K likes this.
  2. Paul Willson

Paul Willson Auditioning

Paul Willson
    I'd recommend giving the podcast 'The Thrilling Adventure Hour' a listen for the episodes featuring Frank and Sadie Doyle who are clearly modelled on Nick and Norah. It's a tongue in cheek take on old times radio, recorded live and is very funny.
    Still waiting for a shipping notice from Amazon to get my copy in the United Kingdom. Must be a supply issue?!

3. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

I preordered from Amazon and got it several days ago. I have Amazon Prime and they always ship quickly - are those of you who are getting slow shipping on Prime? If not, I'm thinking maybe that's the difference.

4. Message #104 of 241 Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    No, it's no different for Prime users. It's not really the shipping it's a lack of product. WAC and Amazon have been having a tiff (that has gone on far too long and that I blame them BOTH for) so amazon doesn't usually get stock on the WAC titles until long after street date. In the past it's been up to two or three months at times.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

What Will says.

I have Prime, too.

Will Krupp likes this.
  6. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I have Prime also, but even before this long simmering issue between WB & Amazon has intensified to the point where Amazon gets many titles from WB a few months after release date, I have been purchasing my most desired titles--and by that I mean THE SEA HAWK, GASLIGHT, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, THE THIN MAN & the 2 Volumes of Popeyes directly from Warner Archive. Yes, it's a bit more, but these titles for me are essential; I want them right away and I think buying directly from WB sends a very positive message.

PMF and Will Krupp like this.
  7. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I'm guessing Araca Merchandising which owns and operates WBShop will send the message back to Warner who offloaded the site in 2015 or there-about. Full Price, Sales tax, and $7 shipping on orders less than $100 just doesn't play in my plans

I'm not sure why ordering from a site with cheaper prices and release day delivery is that bad -- Barnes and Noble, Deep Discount, Best Buy, Bullmoose, Walmart. Well, pretty much everybody not named Amazon is cheaper and seems to be delivering product on time. really want to support the little guy and get great service -- hard to beat Bullmoose

8. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    My experiences are different than yours. You have expressed this view in many threads, and I've tried many of the vendors you suggest, but 1) the package arrived way past the release date, like more than 2 weeks & 2) was only a few dollars cheaper. Thus far my Blus have shown up from WB on time, and even though I generally buy two at once with different release dates, they are sent to me separately without additional postage charged. Anyway, that's my experience. I've tried Best Buy, B&N as well as Deep Discount, but have been disappointed. Still, it's always good to get other recommendations. I've never heard of Bullmoose, so I might give that a try.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Generally I get my Warner Archive titles through Barnes & Noble. Faster than Amazon, and with a 20 percent off coupon, competitive in price.

In the case of The Thin Man, Amazon's preorder price was worth the extended wait.

10. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Not doubting WB deliver on time (most of my orders from them have), but paying $26-28 for a title I can get from B&N for $18 or Bullmoose for $20. Not that i preorder that much since I normally wait for the sales (BN 40% or WB 4/44) , but during the B&N 40% off sale I got 5 preorders for less than $11 each and each of them showed up on Sat or Monday prerelease.

2 discs shipped from WBShop -- $55 after my tax
    2 typical WAC from Bullmoose -- $40

B&N is a bit harder to gauge due to membership shipping and coupons (only active after release) though I guess most BN customers tend to wait for the big sales which isn't going to be release week most of the year, but overall for preorders $40-42 after tax is what I've seen on my carts and 95+% arrive on or before street date.

With the volume of discs I go through $8+ a disc (or $15-17 savings compared to the best sales) is a huge deal

11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I would order from Warner Archive, but they will not send to Canada, and refuse to even mail to a US postal box for some wacky reason.

PMF likes this.
  12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

It used to be b/c they used non-USPS delivery most of the time and UPS/Fedex didn't or couldn't deliver to the Post Office.
    Now with all the hybrid services all of them have a service that hands to the Post Office (SurePost, SmartPost, MI, ecommerce, etc), but some rules still apply. I still have issues with B&N cancelling some orders if I list a PO BOx address (9 out of 10 are fine).

Since WB used UPSMI frequently/mostly now (despite sending out shipping email that link to DHL), it really shouldnt be an issue, but some rules take a long time to unlearn

Street Addressing can usually get by those rules if your PO officially (or unofficially) supports it.
    Most of the time they use the actual Street Address of the post office and a 2nd Line can be Apt/Suite/Unit/Number (PO box). You may need to ask you PO is that's allowed. My tiny PO doesn't officially support it,but the one full time clerk has told me it's no big deal since she sorts all the packages anyway and knows the couple hundred boxes by heart. Since I started using that for B&N, I haven't had a single package cancelled. It didn't even matter when I had got the actual street number wrong (screwed up and wrote 101 instead of 100), but the Postmaster caught every package and put it where it belonged rather than delivering it across the street.

13. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    My wife uses the PO Box number as if it is an apartment number and has been successful with other companies. I should try it now with Warner Archive.

PMF likes this.
  14. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am a Prime member, but have the same estimated August 14th - 28th delivery date mentioned by others in this thread. I ordered it during the Prime Days sale, when the price was under $15. Price always wins out over earlier delivery for me.

Rodney and David Weicker like this.
  15. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

Hmm, strange. I preordered THIN MAN, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, and GASLIGHT from Amazon, and got all of them within 2-3 days of issue (if not sooner - I don't keep track of it). Maybe Amazon just likes me. :D

16. Message #116 of 241 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    "Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes, it doesn't"
    - Old Lodge Skins; "Little Big Man"​

17. Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

Jack K, ahollis and PMF like this.
  18. Message #118 of 241 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    LeoA, PMF, Jack K and 1 other person like this.
  19. Message #119 of 241 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

I couldn't believe they shot the movie in 2 1/2 weeks!

LeoA and PMF like this.
  20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I could as many of those films that are short in length with mostly interior scenes can be shot in 2-3 weeks back then. Shooting schedules were very economical back in the day.

JohnMor, PMF and Jack K like this.