Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris submitted a new blog post

A few words about...™ The Thin Man - in Blu-ray
TheThinManFP-1024x800.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was curious if Warners would be able to provide a quality upgrade as I too have never seen a really decent transfer of the film. So I'm really looking forward to this.

Not to bring up a sore spot (too late!) but to all those complainers about Warners not releasing "classics" like X, Y or Z. It's obvious that it's not because Warners isn't interested or doesn't want to. But they take the time to do it right and that might literally take years. So before you do the next "Why is Warners releasing ABC when classics like XYZ aren't on blu ray yet?" post, remember it takes time to get gems like The Thin Man or Seven Brides For Seven Brothers in shape for a proper HD release. We'll all be rewarded for our patience.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's reviews like this that inspires me to pay the full and supportive price.:)
Bravo to WAC, and all who labored upon this work.:cheers:

[I know, I know...I was hoping for an emoji with a martini glass, as well;
but hey, at least The Thin Man wasn't released as an Olive.];)

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was curious if Warners would be able to provide a quality upgrade as I too have never seen a really decent transfer of the film. So I'm really looking forward to this.

Not to bring up a sore spot (too late!) but to all those complainers about Warners not releasing "classics" like X, Y or Z. It's obvious that it's not because Warners isn't interested or doesn't want to. But they take the time to do it right and that might literally take years. So before you do the next "Why is Warners releasing ABC when classics like XYZ aren't on blu ray yet?" post, remember it takes time to get gems like The Thin Man or Seven Brides For Seven Brothers in shape for a proper HD release. We'll all be rewarded for our patience.

It isn’t simply a Blu-ray. They’ve created all new preservation elements, along with the ability to run a DCP theatrically.

A class act!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
View attachment 60695

The Thin Man is $14.39 right now on Amazon (Prime Day discount?).
https://www.amazon.com/Thin-Man-Blu...08d36c64b22e2f2f1f22b&creativeASIN=B07T6S1CKT
At checkout it takes $3.58 off of the $17.97 posted price.

Thanks for the heads up- ordered!

I hope you're happy enough with that price to be patient about how long it takes for your order to be fulfilled if you buy through Amazon, considering how bad it has been this year for WAC releases!

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Very happy to hear this. I recently watched the iTunes stream in HD and it was obvious that much work was required. Can’t wait to watch this in late July (Best Buy pre-order).

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I hope you're happy enough with that price to be patient about how long it takes for your order to be fulfilled if you buy through Amazon, considering how bad it has been this year for WAC releases!

I’ve got the set from a few years back so if it takes a while, so be it, I’m not in a rush.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
A technical question, probably best suited for another thread but I’ve always heard about how beautiful nitrate looks when it’s projected- the silver content glistening, etc. Since I’ve never seen nitrate projected, how closely does that experience get replicated in a top notch release like this?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A technical question, probably best suited for another thread but I’ve always heard about how beautiful nitrate looks when it’s projected- the silver content glistening, etc. Since I’ve never seen nitrate projected, how closely does that experience get replicated in a top notch release like this?

No way to say in a general sense, as it’s quite dependent upon panel/projector/player setup and calibration.

Two physical analogue characteristics also come into play.

Nitrate films would have been projected with carbon arc as a light source. And just as important, especially for 3-strip, unlike acetate prints, which had slight color tints to the base, nitrate base was crystal clear, which permitted a purity to color.

Last edited:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Definitely yes. but I'll chuck out the new BD cover and pop it into the old snapper case.
I have the complete Thin Man DVD set as well but will keep this as a stand-alone.

To me, it's a Christmas classic, so I'll be filing the Blu-Ray in my Christmas section. My DVD box set will stay intact with the DVD box sets. This review is such good news!

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
No way to say in a general sense, as it’s quite dependent upon panel/projector/player setup and calibration.

Two physical analogue characteristics also come into play.

Nitrate films would have been projected with carbon arc as a light source. And just as important, especially for 3-strip, unlike acetate prints, which had slight color tints to the base, nitrate base was crystal clear, which permitted a purity to color.
Thank you! So I gather it’s possible if the conditions are right. Someday I’ll have to make the effort to see nitrate properly projected to get the full effect!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Thank you! So I gather it’s possible if the conditions are right. Someday I’ll have to make the effort to see nitrate properly projected to get the full effect!

Easier said than done - there are reportedly no more than 4-6 locations in the country that can legally project nitrate due to the stringent projection booth safeguards that must be in place.

I have seen nitrate ( both color and b&w ) at both George Eastman House in Rochester and The Egyptian in Hollywood and have to say I did not see the differences I was expecting to see from these prints. I have heard similar comments from others at these showings. I have no idea if these venues used carbon arc or xenon bulb projection, but I suspect that both locations have one set of projectors that likely use the modern Xenon lamps. They are not compatible with carbon arc, which works entirely differently.

Mr Harris, do you know if those venues are capable of running carbon arc?

Reactions: PMF

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Easier said than done - there are reportedly no more than 4-6 locations in the country that can legally project nitrate due to the stringent projection booth safeguards that must be in place.

I have seen nitrate ( both color and b&w ) at both George Eastman House in Rochester and The Egyptian in Hollywood and have to say I did not see the differences I was expecting to see from these prints. I have heard similar comments from others at these showings. I have no idea if these venues used carbon arc or xenon bulb projection, but I suspect that both locations have one set of projectors that likely use the modern Xenon lamps. They are not compatible with carbon arc, which works entirely differently.

Mr Harris, do you know if those venues are capable of running carbon arc?
This is all so interesting. Living in Philly it’s not a terrible trek to Rochester and I’ve been wanting to go for a while. It’s still on my list but interesting to know you didn’t see much of a difference.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks