What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ten Commandments -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
How many out there remember seeing it in its original release? My strongest visual memory is of the moody interior night shots of corridors lined with gigantic hieroglyph-covered pillars. Oh yeah, and the staffs turning into snakes. Not the parting of the Red Sea, though, strangely enough. I have a color slide my brother snapped off in a theater, clearly showing a 1:1.66 AR.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Paul Penna said:
How many out there remember seeing it in its original release? My strongest visual memory is of the moody interior night shots of corridors lined with gigantic hieroglyph-covered pillars. Oh yeah, and the staffs turning into snakes. Not the parting of the Red Sea, though, strangely enough. I have a color slide my brother snapped off in a theater, clearly showing a 1:1.66 AR.
Post the slide here.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by TonyD

Post the slide here.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was taken off-axis, unfortunately, but nevertheless it looks 1:1.66ish to me. Taken on 35mm Super Anscochrome; my brother had written 7/57 as the date on the slide mount. Not sure where the theater was, but somewhere in Northern California most likely, probably the SF Bay Area - also possibly San Luis Obispo. Blue streaks are light leaks or processing anomalies, possibly exacerbated by age.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Not like it really matters but this was Perspecta mono originally correct?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Good enough for me, this is back on my pre-order list!

Thanks for the words, as always Robert. :)

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

Well, it was taken off-axis, unfortunately, but nevertheless it looks 1:1.66ish to me. Taken on 35mm Super Anscochrome; my brother had written 7/57 as the date on the slide mount. Not sure where the theater was, but somewhere in Northern California most likely, probably the SF Bay Area - also possibly San Luis Obispo. Blue streaks are light leaks or processing anomalies, possibly exacerbated by age.

I took the screen grab, put it into Photoshop and tried to straighten it out by dragging the corners into a rough rectangle. If one then resizes in various ways, the best fit seems to be 1.85, because then the wheels on the chariot images in the background look like full rounds, rather than various sorts of ovals. As to what it was originally projected at, I think the slide doesn't really tell us. It's not only off axis, it's also got a fairly pronounced tilt, and Photoshop can't correct easily for that sort of distortion. Here's what it looks like at 1.85 –

The buildings do look weird and flattened in this rendition, but the Sphinxes look okay, and people and animals look about the right width for their height, and the wheels on the chariot images look pretty much round. Note that I'm not saying this is correct, simply that it's one way to try and straighten up the image. Nice slide, btw. I often wanted to do that when I was a kid, but could never get up the courage to smuggle in my camera.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I did that a few times in the mid-late 1970s, smuggled my Olympus rangefinder into a theater to grab a few shots of a favorite film. Probably nothing of interest now, but this makes me want to dig those out to see what they look like.

Which also reminds me -- the one smuggled audio artifact I have, which I'll treasure forever (and should damned well copy to something before it becomes unplayable) is a cassette tape of a complete first-run "Exorcist" at the National Theater in Westwood. It was my third or fourth time, I was with friends seeing it for their first time, and what makes the tape priceless is their -- and the rest of the packed Saturday night audience's -- audible reactions throughout.

But I digress.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by theonemacduff

I took the screen grab, put it into Photoshop and tried to straighten it out by dragging the corners into a rough rectangle. If one then resizes in various ways, the best fit seems to be 1.85, because then the wheels on the chariot images in the background look like full rounds, rather than various sorts of ovals. As to what it was originally projected at, I think the slide doesn't really tell us. It's not only off axis, it's also got a fairly pronounced tilt, and Photoshop can't correct easily for that sort of distortion.

Well, going by the LIFE magazine photo on the right below, that stretches out the structure too much. Photoshop can indeed adjust for tilt with its Rotate function, as well as Perspective, so I used those to get the screen into a regular rectangle, then tweaked it to approach the symmetry in the LIFE photo. The resulting image has an AR of about 1:1.55, so now we're getting pretty close, I think. (The LIFE photo isn't intended to approximate the film AR, that's just what I wound up with after cropping out the LIFE watermark at the bottom).

Real Name
Sebastian Porter
The Paramount’s official blu-ray trailer is on Amazon.com website or below this paragraph which shows the very same scene as your 35mm slide screen grab (hit 'play' and look for it at around 9 seconds into the presentation). As you can see, there is more image information on blu-ray than your screen grab (no offense, of course) . The video courtesy of Paramount and XtraRyder from Youtube.com

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

Well, going by the LIFE magazine photo on the right below, that stretches out the structure too much. Photoshop can indeed adjust for tilt with its Rotate function, as well as Perspective, so I used those to get the screen into a regular rectangle, then tweaked it to approach the symmetry in the LIFE photo. The resulting image has an AR of about 1:1.55, so now we're getting pretty close, I think. (The LIFE photo isn't intended to approximate the film AR, that's just what I wound up with after cropping out the LIFE watermark at the bottom).

Wow! Extremely cool work, Paul, and fantastic comparison. Mostly I use PShop for cleaning up old images, so there's a lot of functions I've never tried (including the above-mentioned ones). That's an amazing piece of work. As to why it was shown in that ratio so many years ago, I've no idea, but would guess that the projectionist simply used the projection aperture he thought made it look best on his screen. The Life Mag archives have a lot of gold in them, and I've often just browsed, looking at their stuff.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I did that a few times in the mid-late 1970s, smuggled my Olympus rangefinder into a theater to grab a few shots of a favorite film. Probably nothing of interest now, but this makes me want to dig those out to see what they look like.

Which also reminds me -- the one smuggled audio artifact I have, which I'll treasure forever (and should damned well copy to something before it becomes unplayable) is a cassette tape of a complete first-run "Exorcist" at the National Theater in Westwood. It was my third or fourth time, I was with friends seeing it for their first time, and what makes the tape priceless is their -- and the rest of the packed Saturday night audience's -- audible reactions throughout.

But I digress.
Yes, I highly recommend your preserve that. That would be a blast to listen to. When you say cassette, do you mean audio only?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I wish I had an sound recording of the audience's reactions during my first viewing of Psycho! Those screams! I can still hear them!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't tell you why now (only because I don't remember), but I had an audio cassette recorder with me at a college campus showing (Syracuse University '81) of Anchors Aweigh (1945).

The hoots, hollers and applause during that film (especially the musical numbers) were always a treat to listen to. Sinatra and Kelly performing We Hate to Leave, If You Knew Susie, and I Begged Her were highlights...but the overall audience response was energetic and riveting. Us kids were into it!

milino

Auditioning
Real Name
milino
Do not handle the [COLOR= red]ladyshoesus[/COLOR] in the past but offered a hand basket removed from the hands of his mother, put in the hands of another country stretches to hold her hand gently and said to myself: "As every child is a way made me cross the street today let me give you a hug! "mother's eyes flashed surprise, I was amazed to open.

"Mom, you grasp the foot, the car of the [COLOR= blue]christian louboutin sale[/COLOR] crowded around to cross the street, be sure to see do not tell the car racing against time. What is difficult at home, no matter how busy we will be back. I was a balloon your urine, [COLOR= blue]cheap christian louboutin pumps[/COLOR], keep up the Son, what are polite?

The mother will wipe the tears back too far.

Hand holding his mother crossed the road, I felt like a dash of gratitude, a dash in difficulty, a pinch of love, and sigh a Lady boots http://www.ladyshoesus.com/christian-louboutin-boots-c-9.html

We can appreciate the young, but we often forget that the same treatment for a child-like. Human children, when you hold fast to their children fewer hands, remember, a veteran of more parents look forward to our pull ah!

The more things the more I want, but often away from you, things are not too many so-called [COLOR= red]Tory burch outlet[/COLOR]

In this world, everything can not be smooth sailing all the best, there are always problems and sadness. When something goes wrong, when often haunt us, how to deal with this? "Starting from the comfortable, worry that a go."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks