What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Raoul Walsh, for those who may be unaware, was one of the great American filmmakers, going back to 1912. For those who may care, yes, he worked on The Klansman.

His 1955 Fox production, The Tall Men, is one of the quintessential Clark Gable films.

Victor Young is responsible for the score. The film was shot by Leo Tover, and it's a quality production, all around.

Which means, at least to me, that Twilight Time's release of the film, is a cause for celebration.

Is it worth your time?

Absolutely.

How does it look?

After viewing the screen grabs, far better than I surmised. I'm seeing no apparent x/y problems. Color appears extremely accurate for the early 5248 era, grain is appropriate, cut-in printer functions have been handled neatly, and the stereo tracks work beautifully.

A nice job from Fox, and a terrific Twilight Time release.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Anyone know how it compares to the Koch?
According to Bruce Kimmel in another thread, this is supposed to be a new image harvest. I never bought the German BD, so I can't comment, though I'm definitely getting the TT, as this has always been one of my favorite films.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'll agree the Blu looks fine, if you don't immediately notice the heavy cropping on the left side of the frame. Any thoughts on that?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll agree the Blu looks fine, if you don't immediately notice the heavy cropping on the left side of the frame. Any thoughts on that?

I’ve not seen examples, but one might surmise that if they come from a video source, that they’re open matte, revealing the sound track area.

By the time of the film’s release date, September 1955, I believe all magnetic prints were mag/opt 2.35, although it could have been a 2.55 outlier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks