What's new

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Production values are not where they ought to 'bee' and frankly, the SFX are lousy.

I'll never forget a review I read in 1978 that said the movie's special effects wouldn't fool a myopic five-year-old.

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator
I tried watching it in black and white once and found it easier to take. Kind of like a retro 50's movie which made the bad dialogue less incongruous.

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
Dick said:

But Widmark's part as Major Baker was the most difficult to cut down. I wanted to take out the entire military focus of the movie and try to re-establish the more scientific bent of the Arthur Herzog novel (which is excellent, by the way, and still in print). But when the main title and credits actually run over Widmark's soldiers storming a missile base (which figured not at all in the book).

Then my favorite line of dialogue would be missing:

General Slater: Houston on fire. Will history blame me, or the bees?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Your comments / warnings made me want to finally see this turkey after avoiding it since the original theatrical release. Watched it tonight and it delivered exactly what I expected. The sound impressed me at times, but it also revealed one thing - surely this film holds the all-time record for post-dubbed footsteps.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dick said:

But Widmark's part as Major Baker was the most difficult to cut down. I wanted to take out the entire military focus of the movie and try to re-establish the more scientific bent of the Arthur Herzog novel (which is excellent, by the way, and still in print). But when the main title and credits actually run over Widmark's soldiers storming a missile base (which figured not at all in the book).

Then my favorite line of dialogue would be missing:

General Slater: Houston on fire. Will history blame me, or the bees?

True...that was a great terrible line, another one of many from the endlessly awful Sterling Silly-phant (who used to be so good).

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
On the school playground when I was a lad, we lived with the absolute metaphysical certainty that "killer bees" were on their way from somewhere to Our Town. It was considered our destiny to meet a fate like that shown on the Swarm.

They also told us the oil would run out soon and also there was not enough paper.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Watching it right now: it's true stereo.

Did the theatrical release have a surround mix? The DVD was Dolby Surround so I'm surprised the Blu-ray is stereo only...

Doesn't say it was Dolby Stereo anywhere. Might have been 4-track.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Apparently, there were a few 4-track stereo mag prints, but it mostly went out mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks