What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fox, especially under Darryl Zanuck, seemed unafraid to tackle difficult subjects, as it did just a year previous, with Gentlemen's Agreement.

The Snake Pit, a 1948 production, directed by Anatole Litvak, concerns mental illness, and Olivia de Havilland shines in the lead.

Photographed in beautiful black & white by Leo Tover, who would also serve in that capacity for The Heiress, the following year, it arrives in very nice form from Twilight Time. Not perfect, as the original negative presumably no longer survives, but far ahead of the previous home video releases.

From the appearance of the imagery, it may have been derived from a duplicate negative, which isn't a bad thing, just a tiny bit softer than what one might expect from an earlier generation element.

The cast is superb. Those who recall Nurse Ratched in Cuckoo's Nest, will find Helen Craig's Nurse Davis, to be even more to love.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I was hoping you'd do "A Few Words About..." Melvin and Howard, because I think it looks bad, and I'm wondering what others have to say about it, but no one is talking. but anyway, thanks for all the words you do give! :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm pretty sure I talked about Melvin and Howard? And I agree about Olivia de Havilland, who is superb in this film. And agree about the transfer.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Olivia de Havilland must be tickled to know that both "The Snake Pit" and "The Heiress" have been released back to back; and in far finer formats. Amazing, just amazing; as Ms. de Havilland is still with us at 102 years old. Wow, can anyone imagine what a coup such a commentary track would've been on either one of these releases? Needless to say, these two films are front-burner purchases.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks