1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Snake Pit -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 7, 2019.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Fox, especially under Darryl Zanuck, seemed unafraid to tackle difficult subjects, as it did just a year previous, with Gentlemen's Agreement.

The Snake Pit, a 1948 production, directed by Anatole Litvak, concerns mental illness, and Olivia de Havilland shines in the lead.

Photographed in beautiful black & white by Leo Tover, who would also serve in that capacity for The Heiress, the following year, it arrives in very nice form from Twilight Time. Not perfect, as the original negative presumably no longer survives, but far ahead of the previous home video releases.

From the appearance of the imagery, it may have been derived from a duplicate negative, which isn't a bad thing, just a tiny bit softer than what one might expect from an earlier generation element.

The cast is superb. Those who recall Nurse Ratched in Cuckoo's Nest, will find Helen Craig's Nurse Davis, to be even more to love.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Peter Keller, benbess, B-ROLL and 2 others like this.
  2. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Another great performance by Olivia de Havilland and she went on to do The Heiress the following year.

Peter Keller, Richard M S and PMF like this.
  3. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I was hoping you'd do "A Few Words About..." Melvin and Howard, because I think it looks bad, and I'm wondering what others have to say about it, but no one is talking. but anyway, thanks for all the words you do give! :)

Richard M S likes this.
  4. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I'm pretty sure I talked about Melvin and Howard? And I agree about Olivia de Havilland, who is superb in this film. And agree about the transfer.

5. Message #5 of 7 May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Olivia de Havilland must be tickled to know that both "The Snake Pit" and "The Heiress" have been released back to back; and in far finer formats. Amazing, just amazing; as Ms. de Havilland is still with us at 102 years old. Wow, can anyone imagine what a coup such a commentary track would've been on either one of these releases? Needless to say, these two films are front-burner purchases.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Peter Keller and atcolomb like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Miss Olivia probably doesn't care whether her films are being released on Blu-ray or not, but I certainly do! I am SO excited in anticipation of receiving The Snake Pit. Such a great film, and such a great performance!

7. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I’m sorry. I must have missed that.