What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Shallows -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jaume Collet-Serra's The Shallows is anything but your typical man (or in this case, woman) vs. shark production. It's Mr. Collet-Serra's sixth film, as director, and his talents continue on display. If you've not seen his earlier work, time to explore.

The Shallows is the fastest 86 minutes that I've spent viewing a film in aeons, and kudos must go to Ms Lively, as she's on screen for virtually every one, and does a superb job in a difficult role.

The film was shot digitally (in Australia) by Flavio Martinez Labiano, who also shot Non-Stop and Unknown, and every frame looks magnificent in 4k, even though up-rezzed. HDR is helpful here, in adding another layer of information to the imagery.

The Shallows is about a young surfer from Texas, vacationing in Mexico, and doing the one thing that the film teaches us not to do.

Surfing or swimming alone.

Sony's 4k UHD HDR release is reference quality, and the Dolby Atmos adds a pin-point layer of audio that enhances the thrills, and there are many.

The Shallows is a terrifically entertaining film, that grabs you, and never lets go. I loved it!

Effects work is superb.

One thing that I would have preferred that Sony not do, and that is to include a spoiler on the Blu-ray packaging. There is a long build-up to a sequence that should allow the viewer to wonder if Ms Lively makes it safety to a buoy, 30 or 40 yards from her "safe" rock in the water.

She makes it, and we know that she makes it because there's an image taking up half the back cover artwork.

What's interesting, is that, even with spoiler firmly in place, the thrills of the sequence, and the terror in the pit of your stomach never subsides. That's a true testament to the filmmakers.

Just go with this one, and go with 4k, even if you're not yet running the format. This one's a winner that will have you on the edge of your seat. For what it's worth, I'll be pre-ordering a second copy, to be shipped to my son.

Currently $27 on Amazon, and worth every penny!

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
One of the best films of the summer. Thanks RAH.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I think I would rather have the Jaws 4k restoration from the OCN's on a BD-100 UHD Blu-ray with 12 bit Dolby Vision, as long as Universal didn't screw it up like they did Oblivion, even though it doesn't sport Ms. Lively in a bikini.

There's just not enough story or character "meat" for this viewer.

Thanks for the review, though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think The Shallows is the second best shark film ever made. Jaws 2 is pretty close. Deep Blue Sea is pretty entertaining too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow!

I just watched it. And agree it is reference quality. Stunning.
Starting to feel I'm missing a big part of UHD with no Atmos setup:(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But I'll bet no Jacqueline Bisset style t-shirt sequence (The Deep (1977)).

full

the-shallows-buoy-blake-lively-poster-photoshopped-472x700.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Something like this? They used it in some of the print advertising. Seems pretty tame by 2017 standards.

f17579d8428417ba398329e85d804a6d.jpg

But we digress from the 4k release of The Shallows...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks