1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sea Hawk -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 2, 2018.

1. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Read Alan K. Rode's book on Curtiz. It's fascinating, and places him right where he belongs in film history He fought Jack Warner for all the small (and large) touches that make the films stand out from the studio product.

2. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

After reading comments about this film yesterday, I decided to watch it again with friends last night. Even though I had watched the feature when the disc arrived before the holidays, and I was blown away by the quality of the BD on every level, I had not taken the time to watch it as designed as the “moment you’ve been waiting for” by watching it with my guests in the full “Warner Night at the Movies” format. How much fun we all had, and the film itself was even more thrilling to watch this second time. Gorgeous! Given how awful this looks on DVD and in HD on TCM, you really appreciate the work that went into this restoration.

This is my 2nd favorite Flynn film after Robin Hood, and I think this is easily one of the best Blus of 2018. Warner really knocked it out of the park for me this year, between this, SEVEN BRIDES, GUN CRAZY, POPEYE and THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, they’ve taken half my “top ten” this year.

3. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    PMF likes this.
  4. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    What a magnificent movie and blu-ray presentation! I've been among those who have been requesting WAC to put out some Errol Flynn titles for some time, and WAC has delivered and exceeded all of my expectations. The picture and sound quality are stunning beyond belief. I don't recall the DVD being all that bad, but if the clips in the accompanying documentary (which was produced for the DVD release in 2005) are of any indication, we have come a long way. WAC is to be commended, and I hope sales are brisk and plentiful enough to encourage WAC to make 2019 the year of Flynn! :)

On a side note, fans of classic television should keep their eyes peeled for early appearances by Herbert Anderson (Dennis the Menace), Edgar Buchanan (Petticoat Junction), and Frank Wilcox (The Beverly Hillbillies, The Untouchables, etc.).

5. Message #65 of 69 Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I most heartily concur; along with The Flynn Man, After the Flynn Man, Another Flynn Man, etc...;)

BTW, Happy 2019 to HTF.:cheers:

6. Message #66 of 69 Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    Has there been any indication, good or bad, as to how well this release has been selling (since we were told this release needed to sell to justify more Errol Flynn releases)? I've seen elsewhere that Popeye did well enough that a Volume 2 is being planned, but I haven't heard anything about this one. Has anybody else heard anything?

7. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    Fingers crossed that it will sell well enough to encourage speedy release of 'Captain Blood' .. and how nicely the Blu ray jacket fits over the original DVD jacket to let it be housed in the Flynn DVD box-set! It's as if it was designed to be thus used...

8. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    Well, I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I have my doubts we'll see Captain Blood or any of Errol Flynn's 30s output through WAC. At this point, we still only have 42nd Street to represent the decade. While we have seen some big name stars from the 30s have some of their later output released (Fred Astaire, Edward G. Robinson, etc.), they apparently haven't had good enough sales to justify the 30s releases. I just can't help but wonder what shape most of the 30s films are in, especially since Mr. Harris told us with 42nd Street that that was an expensive restoration and that the other Busby Berkeleys of that decade would also be expensive (and here we are, nearly 4 years later, with no more Berkeleys or any other 30s movies coming from WB on blu since). Again, I do hope I am wrong!

9. redhotandbluetechnicolor

Benjamin Burke
    On my 4k TV it looks like a gloriously glowing black and white dreamland. The clarity almost reaches out and slaps you across the face (but it's quite a nice slap). Now for Elizabeth and Essex on blu-ray-if the technicolor restoration won't break the bank.

PMF likes this.