1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sand Pebbles -- in Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 25, 2008.

1. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    The original roadshow version is listed as 196 minutes in the original post, but it seems the DVD editions are listing it as 182 minutes vs. 179 minutes for the Blu-ray. Anyone have any info on this or know if the original 196 minute roadshow was released for home video?

2. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Yes, the Roadshow version that premiered in December 1966 is available as part of the 2 disc DVD release. It has not as yet been restored and is almost monochromatic but still a great viewing. Personally, I enjoy the full version best and though I have the shortened version on DVD as well as Blu-ray it is the full version that I view when watching TSP.

ahollis likes this.
  3. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yep, as long as the film is, it seems a bit choppy sometimes, but is the - faded to magenta print - all Fox have of the cut scenes? If so, personally I'd rather not have them, as the sudden change would take me out of the drama. Great film, & the Blu looks really nice, esp. when you consider that it was shot on 35mm anamorphic.

4. Paul Rossen

There was much discussion of the long version and whether or not it still existed at the time of the DVD 2 disc release. Why would you not want the 'cut' scenes as part of the whole as it now stands? Yes, you can not place them into the restored short version as there are two different ratio's involved etc.(35mm and blown up 70mm).

As far as being choppy...it is not generally known but TSP was even longer at 202 minutes and had previews at that length. If you are interested in TSP there is a great website devoted strictly to everything about TSP. It's a great website. thesandpebbles.com.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yes by all means have the cut scenes as extras, or even two versions on two discs, maybe Fox will do this on a special edition in 2016 on its 50th anniversary.

6. Paul Rossen

Yes, it would be great if FOX did restore the longer version and actually found the cut scenes that never made it to any official release. Now that would be something. That said I'm pleased with what they have done with TSP to keep the film from fading away. It's just too good for that.

7. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    Ok,I see now - the 2 disc DVD has both versions of the film with the second disc containing the 196 minute roadshow version. Thank you for the clarification and the fantastic link!

8. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

The roadshow version would have been MUCH better had they simply interpolated the extra footage into the restored film (as was done for South Pacific). It would been somewhat a jarring transition when the added footage appeared, but one benefit would be that you'd know what was added and could see what it added to the film.

To leave the roadshow at 196 minutes of almost red and white made it unwatchable for me. My eyes started hurting by the 75-minute mark, and I haven't put the disk in my player since.

9. Paul Rossen

The only red on my system is the main title. After that it's almost a black and white film. Certainly not the way Robert Wise intended but imo a very interesting way to view the film. As earlier stated they could not do what they did with South Pacific as they had different elements in 2 different aspect ratios'.

10. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Watching this one again with the audio commentary by Robert Wise and Candice Bergen....Still a recommended blu-ray all these years later.

11. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    About 20 years ago I went on a tour of a WWII era Liberty ship in Long Beach, CA. The steam engine on board was the one used in filming The Sand Pebbles. It was just such an integral part of the film that I felt like it was a character. The relationship between Jake Holman and that engine is familiar to many maintainers of machinery since the industrial revolution. The film is a true favorite of mine.

Flashgear, SAhmed and benbess like this.
  12. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    A favourite of mine as well. I saw it uncut at the Rivoli in NYC in mid 1967.We also screened it where I was working on a 60 Ft wide screen in 70mm..Fox ordered all 70mm prints to be shortened in most countries. I saw the uncut version during it's screening for the local censor.When it was later released is was the shorter version. Such butchery to a masterpiece of a film. I now only watch the uncut dvd version as the bluray is the butchered version.

Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  13. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    There was a new print of this released a few years ago in 35mm Dolby Digital 5.1 and it was excellent.

Flashgear, SAhmed and benbess like this.
  14. Message #34 of 38 Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    There are actually two audio commentary tracks on the blu-ray. The second one is a music track with the film score by Jerry Goldsmith separated out, and then in-between the music Nick Redman, film music historian Jon Burlingame, and screenwriter and film historian Lem Dobbs provide good insights.

On a different topic, is there any chance that Star!, also directed by Robert Wise, will someday get a blu-ray release?

But back to The Sand Pebbles, which has Steve McQueen's Oscar-nominated performance. Talk about memorable last words: "What the hell happened!" Poignant.

15. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Id prefer both version on blu ray, faded or not. The more I get to see, the better.

Flashgear and ahollis like this.
  16. diverdave

diverdave Extra

David Hale
    This thread inspired me to pull this out and take another look. I remember watching this on network TV many times, and there were jarring color differences between some of the scenes where the ship is approaching the river barrier. There are some shots that seem to be from a high altitude looking at the barrier, and they never really fit with the shots from the ship colorwise. I expect these were miniatures as they still don't quite look real, but at least the colors are correct.

Kudos to Fox for a great restoration and a blu-ray set with great extras. This film would have been worthy of a large box set like Lawrence of Arabia, but it seems the days of those elaborate sets are largely past. :(

benbess likes this.
  17. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Twilight Time said they would release Star! if Fox does a new scan The fact that they did Doctor Doolittle makes me hopeful.

18. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Fingers crossed! I actually had the opportunity to ask Ms Andrews about STAR! and her answer was that she would have much to say if there was a chance to do an audio commentary for a Blu Ray release.

Rob_Ray likes this.