What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Robe -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The sea battle in the silent version is certainly much better than the models used in the Wyler version but his ending is what makes him a great director for me.The Niblo version end is just a silly mess.
And another great score!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Robe has the problem that a lot of epics have: good first half, draggy second half (Cleopatra has that in spades). Ben-Hur gets around that by having that great chariot race in the second half, & Land Of The Pharaohs has the pyramid closing at the end. And I don't know if it's been pointed out in this thread (I can't be bothered to check), but I think The Robe is the only film where the first shot (the arena) is taken from its sequel.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'm sorry, but what do you mean?

I think Will is referring to the fact that The Robe and its 'sequel' Demetrius and the Gladiators' were both being prepped at the same time. The opening shot in The Robe - as the red velvet Cinemascope curtains part, depicting a school of gladiators in the arena - is not 'part' of The Robe's plot - the shot, photographed for Demetrius and, in fact, re-purposed in that film.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I think Will is referring to the fact that The Robe and its 'sequel' Demetrius and the Gladiators' were both being prepped at the same time. The opening shot in The Robe - as the red velvet Cinemascope curtains part, depicting a school of gladiators in the arena - is not 'part' of The Robe's plot - the shot, photographed for Demetrius and, in fact, re-purposed in that film.

Interesting, Nick. I never realized that!! Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I don't think I've ever seen the flat version, even the old 4x3 TV days it was always pan & scan of the 'scope version.

The 4x3 version of The Robe is on the blu-ray, but in a weird format. It's in the Special features called something weird like "superview"? That's not it, but it wasn't obvious the first time I looked at the menu what exactly it was.

Reactions: PMF

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The 4x3 version of The Robe is on the blu-ray, but in a weird format. It's in the Special features called something weird like "superview"? That's not it, but it wasn't obvious the first time I looked at the menu what exactly it was.

I think you can only see the 4x3 version while watching the scope one.

1196_4_1080p.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
This was on FXM. Looked like the Blu-ray. The only weird thing is that the dialog was bleeding into the surround channels.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this again yet again, but now is the bonus view format, which shows both the 4:3 and the CinemaScope version at the same time. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of this blu-ray!

Academy Awards and nominations for Leon Shamroy, the cinematographer.

YearTitleResult
1938The Young in HeartNominated
1940Down Argentine WayNominated
1942Ten Gentlemen from West PointNominated
1942The Black SwanWon
1944WilsonWon
1945Leave Her to HeavenWon
1949Prince of FoxesNominated
1951David and BathshebaNominated
1952The Snows of KilimanjaroNominated
1953The RobeNominated
1954The EgyptianNominated
1955Love Is a Many-Splendored ThingNominated
1956The King and INominated
1958South PacificNominated
1959Porgy and BessNominated
1963CleopatraWon
1963The CardinalNominated
1965The Agony and the EcstasyNominated

He also shot the Planet of the Apes, and I think he should have been nominated for that one too.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Many people at the other forum report that their disc went bad and doesn't play, or freezes/pixelates.
I assume they're talking about the first release.
Does anyone know if the same problems persist on the second release with this cover?
I've waited long enough in case we see a 4k, but I'd like to buy now this film.
Easter will be here in a month from now, so it would be ideal for viewing then.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've just ordered the edition with that cover. I thought I might as well now I have my multi-region player set up (I do love an ancient world epic). It still a mystery to me why Fox spent a lot of money restoring this film, but then only ever released it in America (region A locked), but then Fox did make some odd decisions. There's no way that Disney is going to release a 4K, we're lucky that the Blu-ray is still in print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks