What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Robe -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
GerardoHP said:
Both my laptop and the BD-P1000 have the latest updates. I'm so bummed out about this.
Also, I tried clearing the cache but still no luck with it.
Try Slysoft's AnyDVD HD. There is a trial version. This will remove the DRM in the disc that you have just bought.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Alex, can you tell me what exactly is Slysoft's AnyHD DVD? Is it a program that I would use to either duplicate and clean my DVD's with or am I missing the point? My own research on the topic got me comletely confused. Help, please, if you have a moment.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Might this be ICT(or whatever it was called) being enabled? Gotta expect the studios want to nip delivery over component in the bud asap now (that the format war is well over). Just a guess.
Can't explain why it would affect the laptop though.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
GerardoHP said:
"Due to analog output restriction, current setup cannot be displayed. To playback, please switch to HDMI outfit device."
It's abject nonsense like this from the hardware and software makers that is keeping me out of Blu-ray. Why should I spend money on a player that may not even work with the discs I buy?
I think I'll spend a few hundred on Warner Archive DVDs instead. :D

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Simon Howson said:
Why should I spend money on a player that may not even work with the discs I buy?
With region coding not only for new but also for catalog titles you can basically double the cost of a standard player when you are a movie lover who is not from the US and not using a PC.
Still I could not imagine to have to watch The Robe or South Pacific on DVD when I know there are excellent Blu-Ray versions available :cool:

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
OliverK said:
With region coding not only for new but also for catalog titles you can basically double the cost of a standard player when you are a movie lover who is not from the US and not using a PC.
Still I could not imagine to have to watch The Robe or South Pacific on DVD when I know there are excellent Blu-Ray versions available :cool:
The major issue I have is my HDTV can only do 1080i over component. It is 4.5 years old, and doesn't have HDMI. If the forced down-resing is turned on on this disc - as that error message from GerardoHP suggests it is - then I'll get a worse image off the Blu-ray than playing the SE DVD over my up-scaling DVD player.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Simon Howson said:
The major issue I have is my HDTV can only do 1080i over component. It is 4.5 years old, and doesn't have HDMI. If the forced down-resing is turned on on this disc - as that error message from GerardoHP suggests it is - then I'll get a worse image off the Blu-ray than playing the SE DVD over my up-scaling DVD player.
ICT only downsamples the analog outputs to 960 x 540, so this is most probably not the problem that Gerardo has.
So far I know of only one Blu-Ray that has the ICT flag activated, seems ICT is not (yet) an issue.

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl
I finally was able to finish watching this today. It looks pretty good on Blu-ray. Like others have said it's not perfect but better than I expected. The story itself I found decent but not great. Not being a very religious person myself a lot of it wasn't as relevant.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Simon Howson said:
That's just like my TV, which is 8 years old. How would I know if "the forced down-resing is turned on on this disc"?
I'm reading all these responses with great interest, as you all must imagine. I will definitely contact Samsung. I wouldn't know where to start with Fox, though. Any suggestions?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Brian Borst said:
I will also definitely look into the other festivals you mentioned.
Let me know if you consider to go to Karlsruhe.
I will be there, too and I should also be able to tell you about the kind of prints they screen.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
I got this on Saturday and have now watched it two days in row. What a stunning disc. And to think that The Robe was a movie that I never was very fond of. But the picture quality and the quality of the soundtrack (I listened to the 4.0 directional track) is so fabulous that the movie somehow seems better as well. I think I'll even like Knights Of The Round Table if it gets this treatment. Thank you Fox, and more like this please!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm happy about the option to view the standard version of the film as a Picture in Picture...but (I have not seen this disc yet) is it true that it is an internet-only feature of some kind?

Years ago, AMC showed both versions back to back and it was very interesting to compare the two.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Jefferson said:
I'm happy about the option to view the standard version of the film as a Picture in Picture...but (I have not seen this disc yet) is it true that it is an internet-only feature of some kind?
Years ago, AMC showed both versions back to back and it was very interesting to compare the two.
I remember that. I taped (yes, taped) the widescreen version and watched it while the standard version was running live in the PiP. That was in the Age of Bronze of home theaters. Now that we're in the Space Age of it, I can't watch THE ROBE because my Blu-Ray player won't play it. Arrrrgh.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Watched this last night. It looked pretty damn good, and I enjoyed the new 5.1 mix. I thought the film was good, but the historical significance of the film is more interesting than the story it tells. Very good bonus content on the disc, too.
I'm glad my first viewing was on a 96" projection screen on BD. :emoji_thumbsup:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Danny_N said:
I got this on Saturday and have now watched it two days in row. What a stunning disc. And to think that The Robe was a movie that I never was very fond of. But the picture quality and the quality of the soundtrack (I listened to the 4.0 directional track) is so fabulous that the movie somehow seems better as well. I think I'll even like Knights Of The Round Table if it gets this treatment. Thank you Fox, and more like this please!
I once watched Cheyenne Autumn on a small TV and thought it was a rather bad movie.
Then I watched it in HD on a home theater screen many years later and I could start to appreciate that there was indeed something to the movie with the improved sound and picture quality.
Since then I have had the chance to see it projected in 70mm and I would not hesitate to watch it that way again - so I guess for me presentation does count a lot, too
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks